Photo

How to debug unnecessary transcoding / media bitrate exceeds limit

Best Answer Luke , 03 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

The player reported an error with the file so it automatically switched to transcoding. Try going back to Emby library setup and click on your folders that you entered and fill in the optional network path field. If Theater is given direct network access to the files then it can play that way which sometimes will offer a better experience. thanks.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ulfda OFFLINE  

ulfda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

I have a Windows 10 computer with both Plex and Emby Theater. Plex works fine, Emby not.

Emby always thinks (spinning circle/arc) for nearly two minutes (!) before starting playback, and then in transcoding mode. Stats for Nerds says "Reason for transcoding: Media bitrate exceeds limit."

I don't think there should be any problem playing directly. I have a wired gigabit network. Plex works fine. Playing a file over the network with Windows Media Player works fine.

The Emby Server is the Docker app on an UnRAID server.

Since Emby is so much better than Plex (IMHO) I would like to debug this thorougly and fix it, but no luck so far. I've tried different settings, looked through the log files etc, but can't find what is actually causing this.

Any tips on debugging techniques? Thanks!

#2 PenkethBoy OFFLINE  

PenkethBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3153 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 PM
  • LocationWarrington,UK

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

what client are you using - as that determines via its capabilities what needs transcoding

sorry scratch that

Edited by PenkethBoy, 03 February 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Please discuss some examples and attach the log files. Thanks.

#4 ulfda OFFLINE  

ulfda

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

Please discuss some examples and attach the log files. Thanks.

Ok! A low-bitrate example is "Planet of the Apes", 480P H264 (Media Info Screenshot attached). Starting it with Emby Theater takes a couple of minutes and plays in transcoding mode.

Playing this movie works fine in Emby's web interface (SERVER:8096/web/), even with Microsoft Edge! It starts in a couple of seconds and with no transcoding.

Attached Files

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

If it transcoded then please attach the ffmpeg log as well, thanks.

#6 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11018 posts
  • Local time: 04:09 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

How have you configured the path in your library?

Edited by Doofus, 03 February 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#7 ulfda OFFLINE  

ulfda

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

If it transcoded then please attach the ffmpeg log as well, thanks.

Ok, here it is!

Attached Files

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:48 PM   Best Answer

The player reported an error with the file so it automatically switched to transcoding. Try going back to Emby library setup and click on your folders that you entered and fill in the optional network path field. If Theater is given direct network access to the files then it can play that way which sometimes will offer a better experience. thanks.

• ulfda likes this

#9 ulfda OFFLINE  

ulfda

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:02 PM

Oh, I hadn't noticed that setting. I tried it and it worked! Instead of 2mins and transcoding I got 2sec and direct! Thank you very much!

#10 chudak OFFLINE  

chudak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

Oh, I hadn't noticed that setting. I tried it and it worked! Instead of 2mins and transcoding I got 2sec and direct! Thank you very much!

@Luke
Would you suggest local file access or mounted network drive?

#11 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:31 AM

With respect to?

#12 chudak OFFLINE  

chudak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:51 AM

With respect to?

“the optional network path field”

#13 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:01 AM

Why would you fill in a local file path into a network path setting?

#14 medric OFFLINE  

medric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

I have the same issue for awhile now first on windows 10 now on xpenology where h264 will play direct others will transcode i have the the network share path setup correctly 

some of the errors are which is odd since its mkv h264 and subs are normal .srt file and my tv is lg webos 3.0 which supports this

Media bitrate exceeds limit.
Subtitle format not supported

Edited by medric, 22 February 2019 - 04:53 PM.

#15 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:09 PM

I have the same issue for awhile now first on windows 10 now on xpenology where h264 will play direct others will transcode i have the the network share path setup correctly 

some of the errors are which is odd since its mkv h264 and subs are normal .srt file and my tv is lg webos 3.0 which supports this

Media bitrate exceeds limit.
Subtitle format not supported

In this example the app tried to direct play it, the player reported an error with the file, and so it automatically switched to transcoding in order to make it just work.

#16 medric OFFLINE  

medric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

In this example the app tried to direct play it, the player reported an error with the file, and so it automatically switched to transcoding in order to make it just work.

hmm does it say why? cause i have another file that is doing and they are all h264 mkv with no subs and the bitrate is being exceeded but it shouldnt

Attached Files

#17 medric OFFLINE  

medric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:20 PM

odd same files works on ipad hmm i know the lg webos 3.0 should work with these files 

#18 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:06 AM

If this is our LG app then it's probably best to re-evaluate once the upcoming app update is released. Thanks.

#19 medric OFFLINE  

medric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

If this is our LG app then it's probably best to re-evaluate once the upcoming app update is released. Thanks.

okay thanks, look forward to it.

#20 shrouski OFFLINE  

shrouski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:17 PM

I'm having problems with something I believe should direct play. Here's what I get in the log:

2019-03-17 20:01:26.559 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 28495529, max bitrate: 7466667

This is on the LG as well. Local network. In fact a movie I watched before the update (also before the update to server v4) is no longer direct streaming. Where is this bitrate setting? I have my WAN limit set to 50Mbps so is this something to do with the LG app deciding the cap is 7Mbps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users