Backup Collection Artwork

GhostRider

GhostRider

The backup plug-in backs up playlists but not collections in appdata\roaming\media-browser-server\data

I use custom artwork in my Collections and it would be useful to have the backup plug-in backup all user data. Having to manually backup the collections folder is a major annoyance.

Edited by GhostRider
  • Like 2

Hi.  Custom artwork is not considered user data but is meta data.  The backup plug-in is not designed to back up any of your metadata.  It does back up your true user data (e.g. watched and favorite status).

Backing up the actual collection definitions is something we should consider for the future though.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Baenwort

How are the chances of getting collections backed up?

With the old collections.xml you could keep a copy to restore if you reinstalled/rebuilt your Emby server. Now that the old tags aren't supported there is no way to preserve the collections that someone spent time creating.

• 2 weeks later...
unisoft

Good chance. It's something we need to add. Thanks.

Yes please Luke seeing as 4.x took away collection.xml!!!!!!

After spending hours recreating them by hand, I would hate to do this again on a new nas or reinstall of emby.... :)

unisoft

In the meantime we do have a wiki article on how you can backup collections manually:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections-%E2%80%93-Manual-Migration

Thanks.

Thanks but that is for Windows. Where is it on Synology NAS as the file system is usually hidden away for where Emby itself is installed.

I can only see cache and metadata because Emby had an option to store in a non default folder/volume for example.

I don't think Synology Filestation app will even show the main Emby app installation folder contents.

It's actually for all platforms because the server dashboard will show you the path, as instructed in the wiki.

@@cayars please improve this part of the article. Thanks.

I changed this one section so hopefully that helps.

An easy way to find this folder on ANY OS Emby runs on is to go to your Web Dashboard and scroll down the right side until you get to the PATHS section which will look something like this:

server-paths1.png