Losing disks and my sanity

CharleyVarrick

naeonline

The old one you had had 2 12v rails, so it may have had enough power for all your drives, but if you weren't splitting them up between the rails then one of the rails was probably being overloaded.  Your new one is a single 12v rail (and add in the fact that its rated higher), so you shouldn't run into this issue anymore.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

The old one you had had 2 12v rails, so it may have had enough power for all your drives, but if you weren't splitting them up between the rails then one of the rails was probably being overloaded.  Your new one is a single 12v rail (and add in the fact that its rated higher), so you shouldn't run into this issue anymore.

I agree with that. Most of the new PSUs have switched back to single rail, because of that. Most people don't balance the demand, correctly.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Never skimp on a quality PSU. That is the easiest way to wipe your rig, or cause yourself unneeded pain in diagnostics. I always recommend EVGA, Corsair, or Antec. Look for either gold or platinum series PSUs as you will have lower power loss from conversion and thus higher efficiency (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me).

Then compute your power utilization (or use a good online power supply calculator: http://powersupplycalculator.net) and then get a power supply that is rated for at least 40% more.

Note that power supplies should degrade some 20% over their lifetime. Premature failure can occur because of a few potential oversights.

1. Insufficient cooling.

2. Overloading the PSU (>= 75% utilization for continuous periods of time).

3. Improper loading in a multi-rail scenario.

4. Unclean source power (brown out scenario). Install a good battery backup with power conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

PenkethBoy

@@jlr19 Glad you appear to have a solution

i always way over spec my PSU's so a cheap A$$ PSU was not my first thought :)

Hopefully you can return the HDD under warranty and get replacements

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick

I agree with that. Most of the new PSUs have switched back to single rail, because of that. Most people don't balance the demand, correctly.

Not sure I get that "rail' thing, If you have a link explaining this (in plain english as much as possible), it would be appreciated.

Guest asrequested

Not sure I get that "rail' thing, If you have a link explaining this (in plain english as much as possible), it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick

@@jlr19 Glad you appear to have a solution

i always way over spec my PSU's so a cheap A$$ PSU was not my first thought :)

My two servers NOW have brand new psu, and any future purchase/built will get psu consideration. Lesson learned.

BTW, the last WD 6TB blue resuscitated once powered properly, albeit it lost a sector or 2, which, on 6TB is a grain of sand on a beach.

And belated thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
KarlDag

Back from the computer store, just finished replacing psu with a new Corsair CX750m (twice the price of the original one, but cheap compared to a pile of disk drives), now the moment of truth...

EDIT: Powered up, it didn't blew up, all drives are accounted for, at least for now.

I'll leave it running and keep a close eye on it.

I forgot to mention a detail that points to the psu as the culprit; once in a while, I was catching my monitor's brightness flickering.

Please-please-please, stop eating my drives, you silly computer.

So?

• 2 months later...
CharleyVarrick

I have a machine that does the same thing, it runs 16 drives fine but add drive 17 and randoms drives just fall offline.  Always suspected PSU but never got around to upgrading it yet as I just keep replacing smaller drives with bigger ones.

Similar situation for me, for years I was running 6 hdd (max for my m/b) with hardly a problem.

As soon as I added the pci-sata4 expansion card and begun to go to 7, then 8, and 9 disks at the moment, that's when I began to build a pile of "dead" drives.

Most of those (which I've kept in a drawer) needs to be re-tested now that I have a proper psu. I wouldn't be suprised to find a fair number of them still OK.

• 4 months later...
CharleyVarrick

I recently bought this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00N1MAMB6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (which I call the toaster), and it made quick work of testing a drawer full of suspect drives.

Out of 14 drives, only 3 turned out actually dead; I just recup 38Tb ! ;)

5c20cd8400f65_Capture.png

Edited by jlr19

SHSPVR

It sound like your old power supply had a failing cap and it unable to meet the power needs which not uncommon it happens I know I had them happen to me as well that is why I switch to Corsair there are other top brand like EVGA, Seasonic.

I'm still on my Corsair VX450W that I got 02/2009 :D that all most 10 years ago and it on it 3rd upgarde who know maybe it make to 4th one :lol:, originally it was in my gaming system in fact it to is still going strong as my borther still has parts from it an old AMD Phenom II tri core I think I we install TX650 and toss in newer video AMD 5870

My system spec

Antec Three Hundred
Windows 10 Home
Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H
AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 8GB
Corsair H60
Hauppauge Colossus 2
Hauppauge HD-PVR 60
Hauppauge WinTV quad-HD
Corsair CMPSU-450VX
PNY 128GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda (2) 1TB
Seagate Barracuda (1) 2TB
Seagate Barracuda (4) 4TB drive
ASUS 24X DVD Burner DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Dell USB Keyboard
Logitech M100 Optical Mouse
Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW
CyberPower Sinewave 1500 Battery Backup

It barely using 190watt just idle to max 265watt at top out load

CharleyVarrick

It sound like your old power supply had a failing cap and it unable to meet the power needs which not uncommon it happens I know I had them happen to me as well that is why I switch to Corsair there are other top brand like EVGA, Seasonic.

I'm still on my Corsair VX450W that I got 02/2009 :D that all most 10 years ago and it on it 3rd upgarde who know maybe it make to 4th one :lol:, originally it was in my gaming system in fact it to is still going strong as my borther still has parts from it an old AMD Phenom II tri core I think I we install TX650 and toss in newer video AMD 5870

My system spec

Antec Three Hundred

Windows 10 Home

Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H

AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 8GB

Corsair H60

Hauppauge Colossus 2

Hauppauge HD-PVR 60

Hauppauge WinTV quad-HD

Corsair CMPSU-450VX

PNY 128GB SSD

Seagate Barracuda (2) 1TB

Seagate Barracuda (1) 2TB

Seagate Barracuda (4) 4TB drive

ASUS 24X DVD Burner DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Dell USB Keyboard

Logitech M100 Optical Mouse

Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW

CyberPower Sinewave 1500 Battery Backup

It barely using 190watt just idle to max 265watt at top out load

Skimping on the wrong component will bite you back big time, the question is not if, but when.