Scott D
Server
Windows 10 Home - 64 bit
Emby Version 3.2.70.0 - Lifetime

Player
M8S Android Box
Android version 4.4.2
Emby Version 2.9.83

See Media Info.txt for info on file that was being tried.

Problem:
When attempting to play "ANY" media file, the spinning circle appears and nothing will start.  I have left the player sit in this state for seval minutes and still nothing.

As each of my players is being updated, the problem is appearing on each.  This includes players located on the local network as well as remote locations.

Other Tests performed:
On a Samsung S7 running Android 7.0, the initial start of a media file is with audio, but no video.  If the video is stopped and then restarted, the video/audio play with no issue.

This problem has been going on for a while now.  I have been watching the updates and trying to see if the issue is corrected.

The last known version for me that appears to work with no issue is Android version 2.9.62.
If I roll back to the 2.9.62 version, all seems to be working fine.

Is there any plan (or has it already occurred) to no longer support older versions of Android?

Thanks for reading.

P.S.  Thanks for removing the server IP address from the log file!!!

M8S Log File.log

Media Info.txt

Server-3.2.70.0.txt

We do support older versions of android, however generally speaking it is more difficult and will vary wildly per device. For example, the new version of the app plays well for me on old versions all the way back to 4.2.

Scott D

Do you see anything in the log files that can lead to a resolution to this problem, or do you feel it is a hardware issue?

Scott D
Great Job!   Thanks for resolving this so quickly.  (2.9.85) Video and audio are now playing without issue.

I did notice that the onscreen options do not appear to be working.
  Cannot jump on the timeline.
  Volume has no effect.
  Pause is not pausing.

i'm having issues very similar to this on my kids tablets. they are nabi dreamtab tablets running androd 4.4.2. up until a couple of weeks ago emby worked great, now they try and play something and the screen just hangs with a spinning circle and won't ever play. the device also becomes extremely laggy and won't respond to commands to try and back out of playback. i somewhat worked around it by changing from "auto" to a set playback bitrate. now video will start playing but the issue with a laggy system remains, can't skip forward or pause and trying to back out takes forever and the video usually keeps playing in the background for several minutes. if i install vlc player and choose to use an external player it plays fine but then they loose the resume functionality.

i was in the beta for this but to test i left the beta and uninstalled/installed and the issues remained.

TheShanMan

Same for me on Android 7.0.1. Seems like the app doesn't work more than it works over the years I've had it. I too left the beta hoping that would solve the problem without success. :(

TheShanMan

Supposedly Oreo availability for the HTC 10 is coming soon but as of now 7.0.1 is the newest version of android available to me. Thanks though.

Ok i'll make a debug build for you so that we can hopefully see what's going on. thanks.

i can load this on my kids tablets if it will help my issue as well.

Sorry I actually need even more logging. Can you please install again from the same url and then attach the log? thanks.