Screen saver stops music

Allan Cameron

Allan Cameron

When I play music, the music stops playing soon as the Roku screen saver kicks in.

Why? This makes emby useless for playing music.

Thanks

I can't reproduce this.  Been playing music in the Emby Roku app for about 45 minutes now.

Anyone else...?

Allan Cameron

I can't reproduce this.  Been playing music in the Emby Roku app for about 45 minutes now.

Anyone else...?

Thanks ebr,

That's strange. As soon as the "big city stroll" screensaver kicks in ..no music. I also have the beta Channel installed, I'll give it a try with that right now and see if it's any different.

Allan Cameron

Okay so I just tested on the beta Channel as well and still does it. This time I sat and watched and waited. What happens is when the screensaver kicks in whatever song is playing continues but once that song is over the Music Stops and will not continue on to the next song. The method I am using to play is a playlist I made on the server. I do not navigate away. I just hit play and put it on repeat.

Allan Cameron

Where are you when this happens?

That is, did you navigate away from our music playback screen?

Maybe it's a playlist issue, let me try again just playing a single artist. BRB.

Okay, this may actually be a network issue believe it or not.

Roku doesn't give us a way to stop the screen saver from kicking in when playing music so what we have to do is employ a trick to make the Roku think that you are hitting a key on your remote every so often.  The trick uses a network communication mechanism to send a keystroke to the machine.

Perhaps some sort of security setup or setting is preventing this from happening...?

Allan Cameron

Okay, this may actually be a network issue believe it or not.

Roku doesn't give us a way to stop the screen saver from kicking in when playing music so what we have to do is employ a trick to make the Roku think that you are hitting a key on your remote every so often.  The trick uses a network communication mechanism to send a keystroke to the machine.

Perhaps some sort of security setup or setting is preventing this from happening...?

I am using a VPN, would that matter? I had no idea you had to set things up that way do to roku's programming limitations.

I should note that using Plex on a Roku in my bedroom there is no music screensaver issue. What might they be doing differently? Both emby and plex servers are running on the same computer (iMac) where I have a VPN setup.

Thanks ebr

• 3 months later...
andrewteg

This is also an issue for me. As Allan said it stops after finishing the current song. I have a custom time and weather screensaver set to 1 min so I only can play one song at a time. No VPN and music folders work on Plex as well as an older app called Chaneru but we're using the old version of that and the songs all play but the text on screen is bad. I tried with music in both a music and mixed content library and same result. I turned off runaway protection and same issue.

This is happening on both my Roku 2s pointing to the same server/desktop with Emby.

This is also an issue for me. As Allan said it stops after finishing the current song. I have a custom time and weather screensaver set to 1 min so I only can play one song at a time. No VPN and music folders work on Plex as well as an older app called Chaneru but we're using the old version of that and the songs all play but the text on screen is bad. I tried with music in both a music and mixed content library and same result. I turned off runaway protection and same issue.

This is happening on both my Roku 2s pointing to the same server/desktop with Emby.

If you raise the timeout for the SS to 2 minutes (or whatever the next option is) does it still have the same problem?

Edit:  Actually, the way it is implemented now, your screen saver timeout will need to be at least as long as your longest song.

andrewteg

Gotcha. Saw the request before the edit and tried 5 minutes last night and got the same issue on a long song, which makes total sense given the edit.  Thanks for clarifying.

Obviously, would love to be able to have any screen saver setting but understand it's likely a big chore and not a big need!

• 4 weeks later...
EZEd

I just wanted to add my amen to this topic as well.  Playing on Roku Premiere+.  If playing a music playlist the music stops at the end of the song currently playing when screensaver kicks in.  I tried setting screensaver timeout to 10 mins.  Because no song in the playlist is that long, the screensaver never starts because I suppose the individual song changes cause the timer to reset on the screensaver after each song so therefore the screensaver never kicks in.  If I set screensaver time for less than any song duration then the music stops playing because the screensaver did kick in.

I'm trying to do this because I'm trying to setup photo slideshows with music.  Emby Roku doesn't have the Play All feature like Emby Theater or Emby Web Client.  So I'm trying to use Google Photo viewer screensaver to randomly play all of my photos as a screensaver while my Emby music playlist plays behind it.  It doesn't work.

What would really help us out in a case like this is if all Emby clients could behave more like Windows Media Center where you could play any number of random songs of say a Genre of songs with any random order of all folders of photos loaded to the library.  This was the functionality that existed in Windows Media Center and Player.  Select "Play All" of songs in either Genre, Year or Artist and "Play All" random of photos that spanned across all folders not just a single folder.  It really made for a good time with music and photos.  If you could find some way to replicate this behavior it would be greatly appreciated.  It is difficult and time consuming to make playlists for both music and photos each time you want to just randomly play a bunch of songs and music in Emby.  Pre-produced slideshows are time consuming as well and have no spontaneity. I don't know if any of the developers had ever used WMC but its presentation functionality was super slick.

Emby Roku doesn't have the Play All feature like Emby Theater or Emby Web Client. 

Have you tried pressing the Play button on your remote control while focused on your Music Library on the home screen?

EZEd

Have you tried pressing the Play button on your remote control while focused on your Music Library on the home screen?

Yes as stated when I do this it queues up and randomly plays all 17000 song files. That is not the desired effect. What is preferable is to sort by Genre, Year or Artist and then be able to hit play so that only music of that Type randomly plays. I have many different type genre and they don't all go well together in a random play fashion.

I'm trying now to just manually set up playlists by Genre and that is painful as well. Requires a great deal of library database maintenance.

I'm trying to setup the same for photos so that I can do simultaneous random play of both based on genre for music and period or all for photos. Slideshow style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We'll get the play all/random functionality at other folder levels into the app.  Thanks.

EZEd

We'll get the play all/random functionality at other folder levels into the app.  Thanks.

Okay sounds great.  Thank you in advance and I'll be on the look out for the functionality in the future.  All of your and your fellow developer's efforts are greatly appreciated.  You guys are amazing

• 3 months later...
wyldemusick

Oh good god, really?

I'm a fairly new Emby user, so I just ran into this issue with the screensaver on both a Roku4 and a TCL Roku TV. The idea of setting the screensaver timeout isn't going to work for me, I'm afraid, given that the longest "song" is often an hour and change (I listen to a lot of Steve Roach) and can go even longer (audiobook sections, BBC Proms, concert recordings.)

On top of that, when this occurs, and the playback stops...it ain't starting again, no matter what.

We are working on ways to improve it but, unfortunately, the Roku platform just isn't designed very well for this type of thing.

You can design the screen saver used when the app sleeps (if idle, do a bouncy logo, if playing music show music stuff, if playing video.. will never instantiate the screen saver so do nothing), then the app will use its own screen saver instead of the one the user selects within roku. There are two you can choose app or user setting. Aren't you using the screen saver in the app to control this? You are giving up control to the roku screen saver? 

Edited by speechles

wyldemusick

When all else fails, blame Roku? I suppose that works, as it does have some failings.

Emby thus far is the only Roku app I am aware of that has playback break when the screen saver kicks in. 

• Like 1

Allan Cameron

When all else fails, blame Roku? I suppose that works, as it does have some failings.

Emby thus far is the only Roku app I am aware of that has playback break when the screen saver kicks in.

I don’t know about every app but as far as comparing to the Plex app goes that is indeed true. Plex has a few options for screensavers (Plex logo and Black) and none of them stop playback when they activate .

I don’t know about every app but as far as comparing to the Plex app goes that is indeed true. Plex has a few options for screensavers (Plex logo and Black) and none of them stop playback when they activate .

Yep, plex built an in-app screensaver that activates for their app rather than the user selected Roku one. The old emby Roku app did this, but.. didn't check if music was playing.. but could've and not instantiated the screen saver. That's what I mean. It is almost like no in-app screen saver is present. And instead a timer is used to pop you onto the now playing screen. Instead of the screen saver being the now playing screen if music plays, when music isn't play show bouncy emby logo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

wyldemusick

Thinking just of the music apps I have installed, or had installed, each and every one of them keeps on truckin' when the screensaver kicks in -- including Roku's own media library app. For some of them I could credit their being streaming apps (TuneIn, Pandora, SomaFM, SiriusXM, etc) for the continued playback.

Plex also uses album art as a screensaver element when playing music or audiobooks.