Asus Chromebox:

Airbender

Macburp

I suppose some bright spark could hack the OS and put linux on it - I think that was done to the original samsung chromebox - and then you'd have a good little htpc.

But there is no linux client :(. I suppose you could run XBMC.... I'm in the market for a cheap as chips client box that could serve as main htpc (roku is a bedroom box, NUCs are getting expensive, Raspberry Pi doesn't have enough graphics ooomph), these chromeboxes could fit the bill.

Airbender

Why run xbmc mybe mb3 web client my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xnappo

I assume he means with XBMB3C.  Web client isn't very remote control friendly :)

xnappo

Koleckai Silvestri

The web client is shaping up to be a nice client in its own right. On my desktop, I don't need a remote. Have actually been debating purchasing one of these for a third screen. Almost all my work is done on the internet anyway.

Airbender

I assume he means with XBMB3C.  Web client isn't very remote control friendly :)

xnappo

Hi well if you think about MB3 as incomplete products then mybe you are right but MB3 is not incomplete product it is Beta so wait and see and you will be happy in 2 years ,,, to be honest XBMC is gone with the wind now the competition is between MB3 and plex only and the way i see it mb3 is wining even at beta stage :)

xnappo

, to be honest XBMC is gone with the wind now the competition is between MB3 and plex only and the way i see it mb3 is wining even at beta stage :)

Yes - XBMC vs MediaBrowser is so 2010.

I consider XBMC now to be a skinning engine for FFmpeg - which it does very well.

The shared media database and metadata management can't come close to MB3.

With XBMB3C though - you get a thin-client capable (Linux) MB3 client - the only one available right now.  The only thing 'XBMC' is doing is acting as the skinning interface to the player.

Have you tried it out?  We have several MB3 custom skins now and support more MB3 features than some of the other clients! (NextUp TV and in-progress movies/TV for example).

xnappo

[EDIT] PS - this NUC is a great deal - this is what I use for my home theatre - just need this, an IR receiver, a memory stick, and a usb drive - cheaper than the ChromeBox:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computing-Black-BOXDCCP847DYE/dp/B00B7I8HZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395063892&sr=8-2&keywords=intel+nuc

Edited by xnappo