Shield TV - question about switching users

grid-hibiscus-pancake

grid-hibiscus-pancake

I thought I would bring this up.

I am using latest beta on android Shield TV and it looks like user switching never works.

Prerequisites

Have more than 2+ users in your emby server both attached to emby.media usernames

STR:

1. Login into emby with 1 user on your shield tv

2. Make sure automatic logout setting is set in settings for the app.

3. Press home button 

4. Get back into emby same user is logged in as before.

5. Kill app 

6. Get back into emby ** same thing same user is logged in

7. Press log out in the emby app (not emby connect)

8. Get back into emby

9. Same user is logged in

10. Do logout 

11. Kill the app

12. Get back into emby

13** you're presented with user login screen.

It seems that user switching never really works unless you try to force logout of connect from the app

Expected result:

After app is suspended after the time is specified in the settings user should be presented with the pin entry screen. Or also have a switch user button or lock user button.

Note plex app presents the user with a pin entry after the app is suspended.

Hi.  If you are using Emby Connect, you cannot switch users as that method is designed to tie directly to a single user on a particular server.

You can, however, switch servers.

grid-hibiscus-pancake

Forgive me, I think it's a little bit confusing to me :)

So on the server I have 3 users and each user is tied to emby connect.

How can I use those users on my shield tv and switch between them?

What's the point of emby connect then?

I will try to clarify my setup:

I undestand that main emby user is tied to server and that's fine, I am talking about shieldTV client.

SERVER: Broadcast

Users: Me, Brother, Mother

My main user has emby premiere, and each other user has their own embyconnect email.

All these users show up on dashboard and If I kill the app and logout of connect so I can switch user with pin, they can login but I cant switch between them. 

Edited by grid-hibiscus-pancake

Emby Connect is a shortcut to accessing your server for a single user.

In your situation, if you have a shared device for multiple users, you do not want to use connect.  Just connect directly to your server and choose and switch between users freely.

If the Shield is local to the server, then it should just automatically find it and they can log in that way.  If not, then you just need to give them the address shown in the "Remote/WAN address" field on the server and have them connect manually.  Once they do that, the server will be saved and they can easily log back in with point-and-click.

Does that make sense?

grid-hibiscus-pancake

Oh I see, I guess coming from plex that got me confused, since that doesn't impede you and tie that "client" to user directly.

Ill try tonight and report back, thank you for the clarification!

Oh I see, I guess coming from plex that got me confused, since that doesn't impede you and tie that "client" to user directly.

Yes, Plex forces you to go through them for all users.  We don't work that way :).

grid-hibiscus-pancake

Yes, Plex forces you to go through them for all users. We don't work that way :).

This is the reason I am now supporting emby! :)

Ok so I just tried and it seems the moment I login to my user emby loggs into connect for my main user and gets stuck there.

I am forced to do logout of connect every time. And it quits the app. I can never get into user selection screen otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

grid-hibiscus-pancake

Ok so I did forget server and now I was able to enter server manually. This seems to work. It didn't find my local server for some reason.

Even though once I get into my user it logs into connect and shows logout of connect option, i was able to switch users by logging out of my user then going back into app.

It would be nice if it didn't kick me out into shield home screen when I did logout, but rather throw me onto user selection screen. Does that make sense?

Do not login via Connect at all.

If the option to "Logout of Connect" is shown on the bottom tools row, click it and then re-start the app and connect to your server without Connect (no PIN).

grid-hibiscus-pancake

I did do that but for some reason it still shows logout of connect once I login without it manually.

But that's ok now I can switch between users, it's just every time I do regular logout it throws me back to shield home screen.