Performance issues

keith2045

keith2045

I've recently starting having some performance issues with my setup. I have emby server running on a VM, with 8 cores and 6GB of ram assigned. The guest is running Debian 9(after i rebuilt it from CentOS 7). All of my videos are stored on a NAS (and always have been). I'm able to play short videos (like TV shows) without issues, but i'm not able to watch longer videos (movies). 

When i start a movie using the FireTV app, i just get the loading icon and eventually it asks if i'm experiencing playback issues. I have 3 different FireTV's setup and they all experience this. Sometimes when i launch the app loading the content (new movies, movies, tv shows, etc...) takes a long time. When using the web interface i experience the same issues with playback. If i restart the server (and sometimes the Amazon fireTV devices) everything works for a while (dont know the exact timing, but works for at east 6 hours), then i start experiencing the same issues again. 

Everything is hard wired together. I've noticed that when the issue occurs SSH to the server is slow. 

Attached are some logs, i'll keep digging but has anyone else experienced this? 

ffmpeg.log

server.log

Hi, in this example your transcoding is just not happening fast enough due to burning in subtitles. can you try turning off those subtitles? thanks.

keith2045

I removed the subtites and tried it again. I was not able to play the video on the fire TV (i got that playback error question). I tried playing it via the web (not in the logs) and had the same issue. I logged into the server and saw 2 instances of ffmpeg with lots of memory. Restarted the service (just emby-server) and was able to play the video via the web interface but not via fireTV. I restarted the Amazon FireTV, same issue. I had to restart the server emby is running on to get playback.

Attached are several logs. server.log and ffmpeg.log are when i was not able to play at all

restart-webinterface - When i restarted the emby-server service and playback worked via the web

FireTVWorking - After restarting the server, FireTV working.

Thanks, i'll keep digging to see if i can spot anything. 

server.log

ffmpeg.log

server-restart-webInterface.log

ffmpeg-restart-WebInterface.log

ffmpeg-FireTVWorking.log

server-FireTVWorking.log

Ok so I guess the main thing is why didn't those ffmpeg processes terminate. I'll see if i can find anything. thanks.