Master Lock - is this supposed to be working?

johnnychicago

johnnychicago

Hello --

I've set up emby a few weeks ago to serve two Kodi boxes - used to run Kodi only once with a local database, and figured using something a bit more flexible than sharing a MySQL-DB would be fun. The emby plugin works nicely, but I cannot seem to get it to work with two profiles, one of them being PIN protected.

I've searched and found a few discussion threads covering this, but things seemed to be functional as of sometime-in-2016, so I wonder if I am just not doing things right.

Here's my setup:

Multiple libraries defined on a volume that is mounted locally to emby - most of them available to a 'general' user, some reserved to an 'adult' user. Kodi set up with a general profile and an adult profile, using the respective users to login to the emby plugin.

Works very well.

As soon as I add a PIN to the adult user and kodi makes me create a master lock (to the master user, which is really not used otherwise), both adult and general users lose their access to the videos - none visible anywhere. When I delete the masterlock, things are immediately back to normal. There's no requirement to rescan or anything.

Files are on a volume mounted locally to the emby machine, by NFS to kodi, using native paths.

Recent versions of emby (3.2.60) and kodi (current libreelec on an Odroid C2).

Should I expect this to work?

Angelblue05

I'll test and get back to you. If I have more questions I'll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

Apologies, I've been busy with more pressing projects (emby for kodi is only spare time because it's free, hope you understand). I'll make some time and get back to you later today. I don't have a libreelec setup, but hopefully I'll be able to replicate that issue. It was an issue when we first started emby for kodi but it should have been resolved already...

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Masterlock works here.

Can you confirm if you go into Videos, does it display two Emby media sources? <--- without those, you get the issue you described. If you tell me they are there, can you confirm your masterlock settings? I've set a pin, and I still see my Emby content. Did you enable any other options when setting up the masterlock?

Edited by Angelblue05

johnnychicago

I do indeed see both emby media sources in 'Videos', independently of having master lock enabled or disabled. The only switch I'm flipping is enabling a numerical masterlock to see the different behaviour.

When I navigate to one of the emby media sources, I am being asked the network password for WORKGROUP (there is some SMB in my LAN, although I am using NFS with Kodi). The behaviour seems not consistent: sometimes I am being asked name/password and can cancel away, and sometimes I just get an error message about the share not being available. I've not been able to correlate the behaviour with the master lock set. Although I am positively certain that with the masterlock set I never get as far as seing actual content through this path.

On more nugget: If I set the master lock, and immediately get back to the Movies or TV Shows screen, I can sometimes see items and even select one to play. Reverting to the screen a few seconds later - and it's empty.

If it helps, I'll gladly reset the box and follow a strict procedure for configuring it, taking note of the status at every step. Done it a few times in my assumption that I was doing something wrong, so once more won't be a hassle.

Angelblue05

No, those sources are not to be used. They don't lead anywhere. They are dummies only to make masterlock work. If it wasn't for masterlock then those dummy sources would not be needed.

And just to confirm, you are setting up the masterlock on the masterprofile or a secondary Kodi profile (what I tested was with a secondary profile)?

And to be clear, I don't believe you are setting up anything wrong. The setup with Emby for Kodi is as straight forward as can be, there's no way to mess that up. It might just be how libreelec works but I don't have one so I can't verify. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

johnnychicago

I am currently setting up masterlock with three profiles - the master user, a 'general' user and an 'adult' user. The plan being for the adult user to be pin protected and the general user to be logged in automatically after boot. But I am obviously not getting to that point :)

But I can go and set it up with the master as 'adult' and protected, and 'general' as unprotected user.

Could it be that NFS throws things off and I'd be better off using SMB? I've noticed the emby plugin referring to smb in a few spots (in configuration and when wanting to take login details) and was of the impression that was an oversight and NFS were to be considered equivalent - but maybe it really, really wants me to use smb? :)

Angelblue05

You can use either one. The add-on just uses smb as default when nothing is specified.

Can you confirm your paths are set up as nfs (not NFS)?

Angelblue05

Yeah, but weird stuff happens when NFS (in caps) is used.

Ok, well... hmmmm. I'll have to think on this. Maybe it's because the masterprofile is also locked? I will have to test that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnychicago

I've reinstalled Kodi yesterday night to make sure - the effect is the same if I only use two profiles (well, one actually). I have put in master lock first, then installed the plugin. Logged in, scanned (showing progress in popup), but nothing visible. Switching off masterlock, and movies were immediately visible. It really seems to be a display only problem.

Angelblue05

Yeah, I honestly have no idea what the problem is. Could be something completely unrelated and I can't see it because I'm not using LibreElec. Masterlock works fine here.

If you have another device (not LibreElec) you can install Kodi on and test. Why do you need to use masterlock? Maybe there's a better way to achieve what you are looking for?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Heard back from LE people saying masterlock/profile system is different to regular Kodi builds and that bugs exist in that area. That is most likely what you are facing and why I'm not seeing the issue in regular Kodi builds. But feel free to share why you need to use masterlock, maybe there's an alternative way of achieving what you want.

Edited by Angelblue05

johnnychicago

@Angelblue, thanks a lot for the work - too bad that libreelec does its own thing here. :-(

What I want is the basic parent/kid setup where parents' sources have a few additional folders with movies and tv shows not suitable for kids. I had that set up with locally defined sources in different profiles reasonably well. With emby I figured the way to go is having two emby users, one of which has all the sources, the other one having only the kid friendly ones. The profiles would use the respective users, with the adult one being locked by PIN. Therefore the need for a masterlock.

• Like 1

sualfred

@@johnnychicago

The complete profile/user system of Kodi is not in a good shape (since years). Some things work better on different builds than LibreElec/OpenElec, but it's more than buggy on LE as soon as more than 1< user is present. I don't want to talk anything nice... this won't change in the near future.

I suggest you to take a look at the PinSentry addon (https://github.com/robwebset/script.pinsentry). I haven't checked if it's working with the addon playback method, but it should be working with native paths.

With this addon you are able to set PIN rules based on the MPAA.

Edited by sualfred

johnnychicago

@@sualfred, thanks for the suggestion. Will look into it when back at the system.

By skimming through the wiki I am not sure it'll do much - for one I'd certainly not want to show the items I don't want the kids to watch. I am just as happy with those not existing at all in the general profile.

In my experience as simple user I've noticed already that the profile/multi user support is a bit shaky and inconsistent - too bad. Conceptually it's a really nice thing to have. I'll try out a plain kodi one of these days to see how that behaves.

Alternatively, could one force PIN/password entry into the emby plugin once the adult user gets invoked? In terms of kodi database the different profiles are separate, are they not? Or do I not understand the workings of this at all?

• 3 weeks later...
johnnychicago

Just to bring this topic up again - would using CIFS instead of NFS solve my problem? Or does that not make a difference?

Angelblue05

I don't believe the issue is fixable in that way. Last time, one of the emby for kodi user troubleshooted this issue, we came to the conclusion that adding two entries in sources was enough to make Masterlock work and it's been working ever since. LE seems to behave differently, you'd need to play around with the sources.xml file inside the userdata folder, trying to modify the dummy entries to see if any modification makes masterlock display content (you'd have to restart Kodi with every modification). :(

Edited by Angelblue05

sualfred

Should not make a difference. Afaik it's caused by the user right management. As soon as 2 users are present next to the master user it will cause problems. It's messed up in Kodi, especially in LE.