Question on Transcoding

daniel.bmyer

daniel.bmyer

Just trying to understand how the transcoding works, specifically where it's being done.

I have an Unraid NAS with Emby Server installed, Nvidia Shield TV and also a laptop with Emby Theater installed.  When watching a 1080P movie on my laptop wirelessly it's not a problem.  When I try to watch a 4k movie I can see it's transcoding but it's unwatchable.  So I'm trying to understand where the transcoding is happening.  Is it happening on the server and passing it along to my laptop or is my laptop doing it?

If it's my server doing it, then I'm pretty sure that's the problem as my server just isn't capable of transcoding 4k but if it's my laptop then what setting so I need to change?

daniel.bmyer

Ok, so still a little confused.  I'm playing a 4k movie and it shows DirectPlay for Stats for Nerds.  But it's choppy.  My laptop is 1080P, is it Emby Theater on my laptop that is converting to 1080P?  Are there any settings I can play around with to make it smoother?

Guest asrequested

Ok, that version can play just about anything, but can your GPU support what you're trying to play? What GPU do you have? What settings have you chosen? Can you post a screenshot of your stats?

daniel.bmyer

I just selected the default, haven't really changed anything.  It's a Dell laptop with an Intel Graphics 520.  i5-6200U 2.3Ghz

Attached is a screen shot of the stats

post-246473-0-62961100-1517192545_thumb.jpg

Edited by daniel.bmyer

Guest asrequested

OK, so that movie is not only 4k but it's HDR, too. That's a lot of data to process. Try setting your video hardware acceleration to Auto (copy back). It's juddery because it's dropping a lot of frames

Edited by Doofus

daniel.bmyer

yeah, I know.  Just wanted to try really, not expecting miracles.  The Auto - copy back is actually worse than just Auto

Guest asrequested

yeah, I know.  Just wanted to try really, not expecting miracles.  The Auto - copy back is actually worse than just Auto

You should be able play it. Your GPU is capable, enough. GPU refresh rate?

daniel.bmyer

Also, what do you have your GPU refresh rate, set to?

Do you mean what I'm running my laptop display at or do you mean in Emby Theater Video settings for refresh rate?  I haven't touched anything in the video settings for refresh rate so they are blank or unchecked.

Guest asrequested

Do you mean what I'm running my laptop display at or do you mean in Emby Theater Video settings for refresh rate?  I haven't touched anything in the video settings for refresh rate so they are blank or unchecked.

Your laptop display.

5a6e8aae9b8b6_Snapshot_423.jpg

Guest asrequested

My display is set to 1920x1080 @ 60

Ok, that's good. Give me a minute. I want you to try something. I need to make a zip file for you.

Guest asrequested

OK, unzip this anywhere you want, double click on mpv.exe and drag your movie onto it. Let me know the result. If you want to see some stats, they will be different, and you activate them by pressing shit+i

daniel.bmyer

That didn't quite work.  I dragged the movie that is sitting on my server and mpv started to play pretty good, nice and smooth, until it crashed on me...after about 30sec.

Edited by daniel.bmyer

Guest asrequested

OK, in the portable_config folder, there is an mpv.conf file. Add this line to it, but change where you save the file to where you want it to save. Play the movie once, and post that log

log-file="D:\mpv logs\Portable mpv log.txt"

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I'm not seeing anything wrong in the log. Can you try playing a few other videos and see if you get the same problem?

daniel.bmyer

Well it plays without crapping out but it's unwatchable.  Horrible choppiness.  I tried playing around with hardware accel and refresh..didn't make a diff.