MKV not playing

Depechie

@@ebr and can you confirm it does also work through Emby Upnp with VLC app on Apple TV? Because the original MKV works that way on my Apple TV

I'm afraid that doesn't tell us anything that would help solve the problem.

There is obviously something about the item the Apple player doesn't like but we can't see whatever that is in order to make the decision to transcode it.

Eventually, the app will have the ability to fall back to transcoding like the others do which will solve this.  I'm not sure what to do in the meantime except perhaps try some sort of re-encode to see if whatever is wrong gets fixed.

Depechie
Ok thanks for the update!
Only hard part here is that I only notice it when I sit down to start watching the movie of course. So that takes away a bit of the fun ;)
Because there are more movies that have this problem by the way...

I tested your sample and it only plays on my Apple TV 4K when movie is started from second chapter in detailed screen, when you have chapter image extraction enabled on server. When playing you can pause and only start the movie from 0:07, before 7 seconds in movie, play fails.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Depechie

Hey peeps... I know this is an old post. But up until version 4.4.2.0 this was not such a big deal because most MKV's would play well. But with 4.4.3.0 it turned around 😕

Today I'm almost unable to play any movie with Emby. Even ones that worked previously.

Current work around is starting the VLC app on Apple TV pointing it to the DLNA of Emby and playing the movies through that.

vdatanet
13 hours ago, Glenn said:

Hey peeps... I know this is an old post. But up until version 4.4.2.0 this was not such a big deal because most MKV's would play well. But with 4.4.3.0 it turned around 😕

Today I'm almost unable to play any movie with Emby. Even ones that worked previously.

Current work around is starting the VLC app on Apple TV pointing it to the DLNA of Emby and playing the movies through that.

You are talking about server version. Assuming you are running lastest app version 1.4.5.x, try to set default player to MPV player.

Depechie

Not much off a difference, some do start to play now, but stutter. So 2 seconds of play, freeze, again 2 seconds of play...

• 2 weeks later...

@Glenn can you please attach the emby server log from both versions? Please supply the ffmpeg log as well if there was one. Thanks !

• 2 months later...

Because of the fact my Emby server would no longer update or run on the NAS, I switched to a docker container version on an Intel NUC linux.

Since I did that, all my troubles went away ;)

7 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Because of the fact my Emby server would no longer update or run on the NAS, I switched to a docker container version on an Intel NUC linux.

Since I did that, all my troubles went away ;)

Hi, what NAS?

• 1 month later...
Depechie

Sorry... did not get a notification that there was a new response... so sorry for the late reply.

I have been using Emby for a few years on my Thecus N5550 and it was working, but not always very good. I guess the amount of GB ram that it has and the CPU were not up for the task.

But recently it started failing to startup the Emby server when rebooting, only fix was to redeploy the mod file. And that too was tricky, specially the newer Emby server versions would result in failure to install somehow.

Anyhow, switched to an Intel NUC now and a Docker container version of Emby running on it.