More Questions...

chipper

chipper

I've been tinkering with MB3 for about a week and have another few questions.  I've upgraded to the DEV server (wanted to see it).

1.  I'm using WMC to tape shows and then importing the shows into MB3 as a video section.  On the ROKU, when I go to fast forward, the time of the show is typically only a few seconds, not the full time of the program.

2.  I wanted the server to sleep when not in use and wake up when recording.  The wakeup seems to work fine, but the server will sleep while watching the videos (from 1).  Shouldn't the server stay awake during playback?

Thanks for any guidance.

gcw07

1. Because it is a WTV file it means you are having to transcode the file. So unfortunately that is why it takes time to get the full run time and you can't fast forward at the start.

2. Not sure. There is a thread about it sleeping even during playback. It seems that the 10 second checkin isn't enough to keep a server awake. Not sure what to do about that at the moment.

chipper

Thanks for the reply.

In another post I state the picture motion doesn't look quite right (I really couldn't define it - like skipping frames).

I have shows from NextPVR (in .ts) and went to play one today in the ROKU beta and it played fine.  When I would fast forward and play, it was like the WTV where the motion wasn't right.  I stopped the playback and started it again and it was fine.

I let both the WTV and TS play for about 10 minutes and then paused it.  The time bar only showed 10 minutes or so at the right end.  I watched different shows, but both were over an hour recorded.  The time doesn't seem correct.

gcw07

You know what might be happening. The server might not have been able to probe the file properly and never returned the correct time for how long the video is. So it is doing something funky. What does it show in the web client for the length of the video?

chipper

The web client shows 68 minutes and 66 minutes (one .ts on .wtv).

The Roku shows one 1h 07m and the other 1h 05m (I have 4 shows total - 2 .wtv and 2 .ts so the times might not match up).

chipper

I noticed on the web client, it shows the chapters at 5 minute intervals.  Could the ROKU be mistaking the chapter interval for the end of the program?

gcw07

Well if the web client and it looks like the Roku is seeing the correct length so that isn't the problem. I'm assuming the wtv file is coming up as "convert audio and video" when you press the info button during playback. Same for the ts?

And no the chapters won't effect anything.

I noticed on the web client, it shows the chapters at 5 minute intervals. Could the ROKU be mistaking the chapter interval for the end of the program?

I think MB3 creates 5 minute chapters when either there aren't actually any chapters, or if it can't recognize any chapters. It seems to do this with my videos.

Sent from my generic not my computer device.

chipper

What info button?  The asterisk (*)?

When I press that during playback of either a WTV or TS, I get a closed caption prompt (or subtitle - can't remember which).

gcw07

What info button?  The asterisk (*)?

When I press that during playback of either a WTV or TS, I get a closed caption prompt (or subtitle - can't remember which).

No the down button is the info button on the Roku. Star is subtitle/cc button that doesn't do anything at the moment in the MB channel.

chipper

Thank you.

The WTV files seem to have smooth playback and the TS files don't.

Both WTV and TS have convert video and audio.  When pressing the down button, both showed about when the show would end (about an hour).

For the WTV, I kept pausing the show and recorded the times.

2        7

3        8

3        9

3        10

Yes, I was a little impatient while watching.  I thought it was more time, but it wasn't, sorry about that.

The TS file was similar, again I have no patience.

1:31       2:49

1:39       4:11

2:01       5:09

I would think the value on the right would be the length of the show, even if transcoded.

Also, for movies, doesn't the Roku support AC3?  I have been ripping my movies in H264 with AC3, and the info says "copy video; convert audio".  The Roku is hooked up to a receiver that can handle AC3.

Thanks again for assisting.

Tikuf
doesn't the Roku support AC3?

Yes it does and it will make a return to the roku client soon.

Sorry for my ignorance but with the other cols of numbers what do each represent?

chipper

Thanks!  I was concerned I have been ripping my movies with non-standard sound - whew.

The numbers represent (I think) my position in the show I'm watching and then length of the show (time line).

While watching a show I recorded as a video, I really can't fast forward at the beginning because it says the show is only a few seconds long.  I can let it play, but even after a few minutes, it still reports the show is only minutes long. 

The timeline doesn't seem right (when paused).

Tikuf

Ah right i get you.

The first number is where the transcode is up to the second is the duration mb3 has

The roku can only see the length of the hls playlist. This will change in a few server builds.

gcw07

Also, for movies, doesn't the Roku support AC3?  I have been ripping my movies in H264 with AC3, and the info says "copy video; convert audio".  The Roku is hooked up to a receiver that can handle AC3.

Thanks again for assisting.

Do you have surround sound turned on in the Roku itself? If it isn't, it will convert it.