Live TV Emby for Android TV freeze

mchadima

mchadima

Thank you for your responses. Now we're getting somewhere.  

The player has no problem playing the direct stream from the HDHomerun device, which does not perform hardware transcoding, using the HDHomerun app on the Adroid TV box.  Never a stutter.

Indicates that there are no network issues, but there shouldn't be as it is gigabit ethernet.

My question is why does Emby Server stream form the QNAP with ease, but demands full processor usage during playing recorded TV?  Sorry again about my relative ignorance about video.  

mastrmind11

Well what are your dvr settings?  Also attach the transcode log from a time when this happened, it will state exactly why it's transcoding (as will the stats for nerds on the client as well as the dashboard when a transcode is happening).

mchadima

ffmpeg log 2-4 V3 is attached in post #17.  It is the log of playback from DVR.  I am not local to the server to post DVR settings but will do that when I am in a few hours.

mchadima

DVR settings:  no paths have been designated for the three kinds of recordings.  Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format is unchecked.  So is Preserve original audio when converting recordings (when possible).No Post Processing application (or path) and no Default Recording settings (time before and after.)

Tested a recording after checking the Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format box, but no better.  Playback of recorded TV was still running the CPU at 99% and playback constantly froze.

mastrmind11

This seems bizarre.  It appears ffmpeg is doing a video copy which should cost nothing, but eventually your server can't keep up w/ the copy.  I've not seen this with direct play ts files, and converting to a stream friendly mkv will not fix it.  I don't see a transcode going on anywhere, so not sure what @@ebr was referring to.  

Just for testing, try to play a recorded tv episode and check either stats for nerds or the dashboard and report back wtf it's actually doing.

Played back 60 Minutes and have attached the Stats for Nerds data.  Stats on the QNAP show CPU at 99%.

In this case your transcoding is just not able to go fast enough, so that would explain the freezing during playback.

Because the video codec is mpeg2 and he's on an X96mini.

Got it. Need MORE POWER!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mchadima

OK, I think I finally understand.  If my QNAP had a faster processor, or my Android TV box could handle transcoding, then no problem?  Like @@Sammy said MORE POWER!  My final question (perhaps):  why is Emby able to transcode a direct stream so efficiently (15% CPU) and not a playback of a recorded stream?

OK, I think I finally understand. If my QNAP had a faster processor, or my Android TV box could handle transcoding, then no problem? Like @@Sammy said MORE POWER! My final question (perhaps): why is Emby able to transcode a direct stream so efficiently (15% CPU) and not a playback of a recorded stream?

I just hooked up my new to me 2015 ShieldTV and tested Emby LiveTV (not RecordedTV) with ServerWMC / HDHR Prime using Emby Server on my i5 4690k Devil's Canyon.

No issues at all and I also noticed the guide loads even faster than on Emby Theater too.

What container is your RecordedTV in? Maybe Emby has to repackage it on the fly?

mchadima

It is in the default location for Emby TV recording.

QNAP has the ability to set up automated transcoding.  Supposedly, just tell it which folders to transcode.  Since there is a delay between when a program is recorded and when it is watched, why not try that workaround?

First test, QNAP didn't automatically transcode, but haven't had time to double check the settings.  So told it to manually transcode the saved file.  Failed:  read/write error.  Haven't investigated, but will report back.

Still curious about why playback needs full CPU, but streaming from Emby doesn't.  Possibly a simple answer, just displaying my lack of video experience.

OK, I think I finally understand.  If my QNAP had a faster processor, or my Android TV box could handle transcoding, then no problem?  Like @@Sammy said MORE POWER!  My final question (perhaps):  why is Emby able to transcode a direct stream so efficiently (15% CPU) and not a playback of a recorded stream?

Can we look at some specific examples? thanks !

mchadima

Upgraded to 3.2.70.0. Changed transcoding to VA API.  Recorded another episode of CBS Sunday Morning.  Playback not improved, and ffmpeg log attached.  CPU again at 99%.  Any sense why TV streaming is flawless, also mpeg2, at 15% CPU, yet playback stresses resources?

Trying to get something to work with recorded TV, here's an update on automated background transcoding supposedly a part of QNAP software (not).  Plenty of complaints from users about the read/write fail when transcoding starts.  A post suggested to downgrade CodexPack to 4.2.7, which works to fix the transcoding error.  Transcoding a 6 GB file took 30 minutes and playback displayed no freezing.  Only problem was the audio and video was not in sync.  Only tried one file so far, so need to investigate further.  Stats of the transcoded file is attached in case you are curious.

ffmpeg log 2-11.txt

post-266478-0-80953900-1518380551_thumb.jpg

I would suggest installing our new package that I looked to above. What you're currently using is a community package and is a little more difficult for us to answer questions on. Thanks.

mchadima

Installed update (sorry about the "community" install previously).  No joy anywhere.  Live TV is no longer working.  Tried three channels, each would show channel data as if it was ready to display, then spinning wheel and black screen, to be followed by repeat of same, finally each attempt would end with "Too many errors.  Giving up."  Tried playback of recorded TV.  Same result.  ffmpeg logs are attached.  Server log attached.  Send Android TV log from device as well. 

Tried Live TV using Chrome on Win 10, logged into the server through the Emby QNAP Server program.  Video freezes, but spotty audio playback.  ffmpeg log send called "ffmpeg QNAP thru browser".

Of note:  12 hours ago, Live TV played flawlessly (after installing this update) on another TV on a different Android TV device.  Hmmm.  Also, HD Homerun app plays Live TV flawlessly on this device, as usual, at this time.

Emby Server log 2-13.txt

ffmpeg log 2-13 DVR playback.txt

ffmpeg log 2-13.txt

ffmpeg QNAP thru browser.txt

It still looks like the server is simply not fast enough to handle the load when transcoding is needed.

You could try turning off vaapi.

mchadima

Turning of VA API doen't help.

Can I ask a simple question?  

Why does Emby play Live TV flawlessly, same network, same NAS, same Android TV boxes, and use 15% CPU.  But then playback of recorded TV fails due to CPU running at 99%?

• Haha 1

Why does Emby play Live TV flawlessly, same network, same NAS, same Android TV boxes, and use 15% CPU.  But then playback of recorded TV fails due to CPU running at 99%?

Due to the container the recording ends up in (.ts) being not seek-able in the Android player.

solidus28

Due to the container the recording ends up in (.ts) being not seek-able in the Android player.

Does an HDHomeRun Extend help this situation by handling the transcoding or does it still end up in a non seekable .ts container, just with h264 inside?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Does an HDHomeRun Extend help this situation by handling the transcoding or does it still end up in a non seekable .ts container, just with h264 inside?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

It still ends up in the same container.