• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

I posted ffmpeg logs for both stream and recorded TV playback in post #17.

#42 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 134329 posts
  • Local time: 01:15 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

by the way since you're on a 64-bit machine i would suggest switching to our new qnap package:

https://emby.media/c...369-qnap-setup/

it has support for vaapi hardware acceleration built in, which you can play with enabling to see if transcoding performs any better with it.

#43 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Upgraded to 3.2.70.0. Changed transcoding to VA API.  Recorded another episode of CBS Sunday Morning.  Playback not improved, and ffmpeg log attached.  CPU again at 99%.  Any sense why TV streaming is flawless, also mpeg2, at 15% CPU, yet playback stresses resources?

Trying to get something to work with recorded TV, here's an update on automated background transcoding supposedly a part of QNAP software (not).  Plenty of complaints from users about the read/write fail when transcoding starts.  A post suggested to downgrade CodexPack to 4.2.7, which works to fix the transcoding error.  Transcoding a 6 GB file took 30 minutes and playback displayed no freezing.  Only problem was the audio and video was not in sync.  Only tried one file so far, so need to investigate further.  Stats of the transcoded file is attached in case you are curious.

Attached Files

#44 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 134329 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

I would suggest installing our new package that I looked to above. What you're currently using is a community package and is a little more difficult for us to answer questions on. Thanks.

#45 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

Installed update (sorry about the "community" install previously).  No joy anywhere.  Live TV is no longer working.  Tried three channels, each would show channel data as if it was ready to display, then spinning wheel and black screen, to be followed by repeat of same, finally each attempt would end with "Too many errors.  Giving up."  Tried playback of recorded TV.  Same result.  ffmpeg logs are attached.  Server log attached.  Send Android TV log from device as well. 

Tried Live TV using Chrome on Win 10, logged into the server through the Emby QNAP Server program.  Video freezes, but spotty audio playback.  ffmpeg log send called "ffmpeg QNAP thru browser".

Of note:  12 hours ago, Live TV played flawlessly (after installing this update) on another TV on a different Android TV device.  Hmmm.  Also, HD Homerun app plays Live TV flawlessly on this device, as usual, at this time.

Attached Files

#46 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46018 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

It still looks like the server is simply not fast enough to handle the load when transcoding is needed.

You could try turning off vaapi.

#47 mchadima OFFLINE  

mchadima

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

Turning of VA API doen't help.

Can I ask a simple question?  

Why does Emby play Live TV flawlessly, same network, same NAS, same Android TV boxes, and use 15% CPU.  But then playback of recorded TV fails due to CPU running at 99%?

#48 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46018 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

Why does Emby play Live TV flawlessly, same network, same NAS, same Android TV boxes, and use 15% CPU.  But then playback of recorded TV fails due to CPU running at 99%?

Due to the container the recording ends up in (.ts) being not seek-able in the Android player.

#49 solidus28 OFFLINE  

solidus28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

Due to the container the recording ends up in (.ts) being not seek-able in the Android player.

Does an HDHomeRun Extend help this situation by handling the transcoding or does it still end up in a non seekable .ts container, just with h264 inside?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

#50 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46018 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:11 PM

Does an HDHomeRun Extend help this situation by handling the transcoding or does it still end up in a non seekable .ts container, just with h264 inside?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

It still ends up in the same container.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freeze, stutter, buffer, QNAP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users