how to move the var/lib/emby/data folder?

jaquestati

jaquestati

i use SSD's for speed.. and space is running out in my root partition..

i've been able to move the metadada, cache and transcoding directory to the home dir..

but the database.db file just keeps growing... and i am running out of space in the root /var/lib/emby/data dir..

there must be some way to change that location/move the database... but i can't figure it out : (

jaquestati

We don't currently have a setting for this, sorry.

eeks...

aren't alot of other people running into this space problem then? most sites recommend 8-10gigs for root... most people i know always make it 8... i went with 10 thank god or i'd already be at zero : ) : (

i guess unless i can figure out some sort of symlink thing or something (no idea how to do that but i've seen people talk about it) i guess i'll just have to stop using emby for new stuff : (

no way i'm doing another redo install.. it took like 14 DAYS to import all my stuff again : ) : (

but maybe in future you could make some sort of option to install to the home directory...

or maybe some advanced instructions to use a symlink or something...

jaquestati

Erm, there is an easy way around this...

Move the directory and then bind mount it to the original location:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/5/html/global_file_system_2/s1-manage-mountorder

thanks...

this works in ubuntu too?

i'll try and figure it out...

this is easier than a symlink?

dcrdev

thanks...

this works in ubuntu too?

i'll try and figure it out...

this is easier than a symlink?

It does - works on any distro.

Easier than a symlink? I wouldn't particularly say either are difficult - but it's a more bullet proof way to do things like this.

• 4 months later...
jaquestati

is there still no way to tell emby where to install during an initial install? no way to install to home and not var/lib?

tdiguy

i use SSD's for speed.. and space is running out in my root partition..

i've been able to move the metadada, cache and transcoding directory to the home dir..

but the database.db file just keeps growing... and i am running out of space in the root /var/lib/emby/data dir..

there must be some way to change that location/move the database... but i can't figure it out : (

Being a linux environment wouldnt it be possible to put another drive in that directories place? For example if you had say an external 1tb drive you could mount it temporarily under say /home/user1/drive1 copy the contents of /var/lib/emby to /home/user1/drive1 then mount /home/user1/drive1 as /var/lib/emby. I might be over-simplifying this though.

Ahh lol and as i read through other posts i am not the first to think of this :) great minds i guess.

Edited by tdiguy

jaquestati

Being a linux environment wouldnt it be possible to put another drive in that directories place? For example if you had say an external 1tb drive you could mount it temporarily under say /home/user1/drive1 copy the contents of /var/lib/emby to /home/user1/drive1 then mount /home/user1/drive1 as /var/lib/emby. I might be over-simplifying this though.

Ahh lol and as i read through other posts i am not the first to think of this :) great minds i guess.

well no... i use remote Ubuntu servers in germany : ) : (

Edited by jaquestati

• 7 months later...

I just downloaded and installed emby a few min ago... long time plex user. (on linux)

I have exactly the same situation going on and its the main reason I decided to at least try emby, I wish I had read this in advance because I would not of installed it if I cant move the data

This is going to become a bigger and bigger issue with folks and it really needs to be addressed and one that will keep me from really looking at this seriously, Ill play with it a bit and uninstall it.

Plex allows you to move the data but its a huge pain in the ass, and I was hoping since this was the "new and better" that this would of been addressed.

I can see that you need it to install to a default for initial setup but the option to relocate it easily is a must for me, Im not going through the bs I had to with plex, and Im not going to use something that will fill my boot drive.

Edited by brenwa

Pretty much all of the folder paths that take up any amount of space can be customized within the Emby server dashboard.

jaquestati

Pretty much all of the folder paths that take up any amount of space can be customized within the Emby server dashboard.

if we could just move the database location all would be good..

alas... most vps come setup with linux root folders that are only a couple gigs ... and emby can eat most of that up instantly : ) : (

my emby db is 1.3 gigs now.... and thats only because i stopped putting most of my music, photos and books etc in emby...

Some of our distribution packages have the program data path specific in things like service init files. You could customize it there and that would allow you to move the entire program data folder. We just haven't documented a process for doing this.

• 8 months later...

This seems to work great for me. (In my case I wanted to move everything to my SSD mounted on /mnt/ssd)

Stop server from Emby server Dashboard.

cd /var/lib

sudo mv emby /mnt/ssd

sudo ln -s /mnt/ssd/emby emby

sudo service emby-server start

EDIT: Just to explain, my reason for this is I'm running Emby Server on a Raspberry Pi 4 (which runs really well BTW! I tried Plex also but that had issues with playback stutter!) that boots from an SD-card and you want as little as possible access to that. So I have an SSD mounted on the USB port for stuff like that. Perfect for Emby Library and other things that require a lot of fast R/W access...

Edited by TobberH

This seems to work great for me. (In my case I wanted to move everything to my SSD mounted on /mnt/ssd)

Stop server from Emby server Dashboard.

cd /var/lib

sudo mv emby /mnt/ssd

sudo ln -s /mnt/ssd/emby emby

sudo service emby-server start

Thanks for the feedback !