Wifi upload speed

extratoro

extratoro

Hi,

I am a new user of Emby. I discovered it when looking into streaming mkv to my new LG B7. 

I am encountering some buffering that can be pretty bad on 4k HEVC videos, always on the same part of some videos. When I looked into it, I saw that my wifi speed was not used at 100%. I am using Wifi N. I am not sure that it is Emby related and not a TV issue. 

Here is the bandwidth when emby is streaming:

5a68e8b3b56cb_streamemby.png

Here is the bandwidth when copying file between 2 pcs:

5a68e9200ec03_transfertwifi.png

Info for videos example:

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 9.87 GiB
Duration                                 : 52 min 12 s
Overall bit rate                         : 27.1 Mb/s

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 63.0 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 43 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 55.2 Mb/s

I think I managed to disable transcoding for my user and I set up the dlna to directplay every video and the max bitrate is at 28000000000000 (wanted to be sure).

Any idea of what can be wrong? As I said, not sure it is Emby and not the TV (though Netflix and Amazon prime output 4k).

Thanks and keep up the good work.

extratoro

Hi, sorry for forgetting the log.

Emby server is 3.2.70

Emby lg app 1.0.4

Full log: pastebin

Let me know if I forgot something or something else is needed (debug?)

So it looks like you're forcing something to direct play and now you're reporting stuttering. Is it possible the bitrate is just too high for your network? That's what it looks like to me.

andyblac644

it all depends on your connection rate and the movies `PEAK BITRATE`, wifi N has a max connection rate of 300mbits (that equates to about 130-140Mbits in real word usage), Even if you are getting a 300mbits connection from you TV and to Wifi router, some UHD Bluray Remuxes have peak bits of well over 150mbits (Lucy for example that has peaks up to 180mbits), so that would have buffering issues as it emby just can't the  stream quick enough, i have said in several thread already 99% of TV's only have a 100mbits LAN, and if your tv only has N not AC, then your just out of luck trying to play high bitrate UHD Remuxes.

i have the exact same problem on my LG OLED (55EF950V), and why i have moved over to AppleTV and Emby for my tv shows and Bluray movies, and Infuse 5 for my UHD Bluray remuxes.

i know this is not what you wanted to here but it is just the way it is.

Andy.

Edited by andyblac644

extratoro

it all depends on your connection rate and the movies `PEAK BITRATE`, wifi N has a max connection rate of 300mbits (that equates to about 130-140Mbits in real word usage), Even if you are getting a 300mbits connection from you TV and to Wifi router, some UHD Bluray Remuxes have peak bits of well over 150mbits (Lucy for example that has peaks up to 180mbits), so that would have buffering issues as it emby just can't the  stream quick enough, i have said in several thread already 99% of TV's only have a 100mbits LAN, and if your tv only has N not AC, then your just out of luck trying to play high bitrate UHD Remuxes.

i have the exact same problem on my LG OLED (55EF950V), and why i have moved over to AppleTV and Emby for my tv shows and Bluray movies, and Infuse 5 for my UHD Bluray remuxes.

i know this is not what you wanted to here but it is just the way it is.

Andy.

Totally agree, but one of the video is not a remux and more importantly you can see that when streaming, the upload speed is around 15-20 Mbits/s without any noticeable peak.

When sendind a file over the same wifi to another computer I am at around 60Mbits/sec. So I wanted to know if the "poor" streaming rate is due to my setting up of emby or something else (like maybe the TV does not connect to bi-band wifi N and revert back to a single band).

andyblac644

Totally agree, but one of the video is not a remux and more importantly you can see that when streaming, the upload speed is around 15-20 Mbits/s without any noticeable peak.

When sendind a file over the same wifi to another computer I am at around 60Mbits/sec. So I wanted to know if the "poor" streaming rate is due to my setting up of emby or something else (like maybe the TV does not connect to bi-band wifi N and revert back to a single band).

if the file is only low bit rate (below 80mbits), as @@Luke said try a wired connection if you can.

Just to add to this, I have an LG 55UJ630V and I had stuttering issues on WiFi.  This was with an N access point in line of sight in the same room as the TV, playing blu-ray rips (typically 10mbps) via direct play.

The WiFi was more than capable of handling the bandwidth required for these files and could easily play to a notebook using MPC-HC, but the LG TV just did not like it.  I've since switched to a wired connection and all of the stuttering has disappeared.

andyblac644

the wifi controller's in tv's are just cheap and nasty ones, same goes for the LAN, that's why wired will max out at about 80mits real world throughput.

the wifi controller's in tv's are just cheap and nasty ones, same goes for the LAN, that's why wired will max out at about 80mits real world throughput.

Yes indeed.

extratoro

OK, run some tests. Remux OK on wired connection.

I ended up running a cable from my pc to the tv and set up a bridge connection. No problem anymore.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...