Trouble identifying non-english TV Show

philby
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Since my Plex Pass is up for renewal in a few weeks, I'm back at trying Emby (on a Synology 416j, no video transcoding needed, ever).

However, I'm already starting to stumble. Installed Emby, created a TV Show library, pointed it to my Plex TV shows library folder, waited for it to finish scanning.

Then went into the Library to see if there's stuff that needs changing, found several, and have now tried for almost 1 hour to convince Emby that "Bron - The Bridge" is not some US series dated from 2010, but the Swedish series from 2011.

Identify -> select the correct series -> wait a minute -> it's back to "The Bridge 2010"

Identify -> add TVDB id and select the correct series -> wait a minute -> it's back to "The Bridge 2010"

Is there some magic voodoo to make a selection stick?

Edited by philby

PenkethBoy

what id are you using?

looks to me it should be 252019 for 2011 series

also "Bron - The Bridge" returns with nothing from the tvdb search -  "The Bridge" gives you a selection including the one i think you are after

Edited by PenkethBoy

Yep, I used 252019 in TVDB ID and "Bron" as name.

Here's a Screencast (shortened the "waiting for Emby" bits).

Also just now tried to identify "The End of The F***ing World" (2017) – no dice, Emby absolutely won't change the non-identified metadata.

PenkethBoy

i just tested this

created a new tv folder called 

"The Bridge (2011)" with a Season 1 folder with an episode called - "The Bridge (2011) - S01E01.mpg"

Emby found "Bron" first time

I would guess its the (2011) bit in the folder name and episode name that makes the difference

PenkethBoy

there is an error as i just identified just using just the tvdb code number 252019

and it gave me two options as per your video

if you choose the one on the right - which has the correct picture - you get the 2010 US series

if you choose the one on the left you get the correct series even though there is no image - but once it goes back to the series screen you have the correct series with images

looks like some confusion at tvdb

if you have others just use the correct tvdb code info the info page and then refresh the series - dont use the identify option - emby will then download based on the tvdb code which works as its specific to the series

Thanks for your hints… I tried a few, so far no success (updated tvdb in infos, refresh metadata; select poster-less search result).

My folder structure is certainly not quite perfectly set up for Emby, but I was sort of expecting Metadata to trump folder names. The other way around seems awfully inflexible.

Edited by philby

PenkethBoy

see the wiki on tv naming its easy to follow - if you do follow it this sort of thing 99.9% is a non issue - apart from the odd series like House of Cards which needs a (US) in the folder name otherwise you get the original UK series etc

more specific you are the better the match will be - we are dealing with dumb pc's after all

I'll certainly try renaming folders, but have to admit I still think folder names should be used for automatic identifying with Emby being able to override with manual input by the user. Seems quite backwards otherwise.

PenkethBoy

nope i think its all down to providing accurate info to Emby

the more flexible the naming the more random incorrect matches you will get as you have experienced

Agreed, but with the same caveat as above: metadata manually entered by the user should absolutely be able to override a folder name used by the software for initial identification. I mean, it's all in a database, right, so why default to "thanks for your input, but the directory name is so-and-so"?

• Solution

Agreed, but with the same caveat as above: metadata manually entered by the user should absolutely be able to override a folder name used by the software for initial identification. I mean, it's all in a database, right, so why default to "thanks for your input, but the directory name is so-and-so"?

This is what we do, however I think this is a situation where we may be getting penalized by having the ability to blend in metadata from multiple internet sources. For example, tvdb is highest priority fetcher by default. You go and use the Identify feature and it searches against all available providers. You click on one that came from MovieDb. This updates the MovieDb Id for your series, but MovieDb data doesn't give us tvdb Id's obviously, so after the metadata fetch is complete, it runs the tvdb search again and you end up right back where you started.

So this might be a situation where we will have to tighten what is allowed in order to make it just work better.

• Like 1

so after the metadata fetch is complete, it runs the tvdb search again and you end up right back where you started.

That was it.

Changing metadata settings for "Series", deleting any MovieDB entries and then re-searching using only TVDB did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, that seems to have been a false positive.

Just now wasted 1/2 hour trying Emby to do what I'd consider pretty basic: assign correct metadata.

No amount of setting tvdb as only provider, deleting previously found false IDs, and re-assigning did the trick.

Gave up after the 4th try (which I screencasted), pretty disappointed TBH.

Try disabling all other providers besides tvdb and then it should be fine.

That's actually what I did, its between seconds 00:08 and 00:40 in the screencast.

I went through this example. What's happening is the Identify feature will use all available providers, I think the reasoning was that there's no harm if the results are there for you to make your own decision on.

Tvdb is returning 0 results from your search text, so you're actually clicking on a moviedb result. Try using the identify feature and this time putting in a tvdb id instead of a search name.

@@ebr, @@Happy2Play, i think this is an example of where we designed this to try and be a little more powerful but we should probably just make it consistent across the board. That is to say, if you disable internet providers or any individual provider, then it won't be used anywhere inside the server at all. I think the current design is trying to cater to people who want to disable by default but still use them manually on occasion.

…the Identify feature will use all available providers…

Even though I set "Series" to only use tvdb? That's quite a … fascinating design choice, IMHO. ;)

If the "use provider XYZ" has no – or little or only intermittently or only when Emby feels like it or randomly or whatever it is – effect, maybe it would be a good idea to somehow display where a result comes from.

As it is this is really frustrating, and completely opaque, I'd say.

We will make it more consistent. In the meantime the easiest workaround is to use the identify feature and enter a tvdb id rather than a name.

@@ebr, @@Happy2Play, no problems here?

Someone like @@AdrianW won't be able to use our identify features if he has all the metadata providers disabled.

Happy2Play

We will make it more consistent. In the meantime the easiest workaround is to use the identify feature and enter a tvdb id rather than a name.

@@ebr, @@Happy2Play, no problems here?

Someone like @@AdrianW won't be able to use our identify features if he has all the metadata providers disabled.

In my test this gave me two results, and only one gave right searched series by tvdbid 252019, the blank one.  (only TVDB enabled - series folder named "Bron - The Bridge")

Also as mentioned before, display where results are coming from.

5a76458b195a3_ident.jpg

Easiest workaround is always proper folder naming scheme "The Bridge (2011)". 

Happy2Play

You could also just clear Series externalids and enter tvdb properid 252019 in metadata and Refresh metadata refresh all / replace existing images to resolve issue also.

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play when you say wrong series are you saying the one on the right has an incorrect poster on moviedb or omdb?

Correct it is the 2010 series.  All my tests produces same results as the videos provided by OP.

***I should say all metadata returned by selecting that result returns "The Bridge (2010)" metadata, not proper TVDBID 252019 version

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

So you're saying that metadata on moviedb needs fixing?

Looking at externalids on TMDB, they have the correct ids. 

Here is the log when I Identified by tvdbid 252019

Selected the Image on right posted above and metadata returned all wrong images and metadata for tvdb and imdb, but right id for tmdb.

server-63653271005.txt