Apple TV - playback issues

ice pube
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ice pube

Hello emby team,

I am experiencing playback issues with my Apple TV 4k. My setup is:

Emby server Version 3.2.70.0
Apple TV client 1.1.10

When playing HD files, upon the start of playback the video the ATV app does not let me pause, return to the emby app using the menu button, or pull the pulldown / info down from the top. All navigation buttons do not work. If I return to the Apple TV homescreen using the TV button, I can hear the audio from the emby app in the background. My Emby ATV app settings are the default.

When playing SD videos I do not have this issue.

THings I have tried:

- Disabled Match Dynamic Range in ATV settings
- Disabled Match Frame Rate i n ATV settings
- Reinstalled Emby app

Files play fine in the infuse app. Please let me know what logs are needed, I did not see a way to submit logs via the ATV app.

ffmpeg log.txt

Log.txt

Edited by ice pube

ice pube

Attached, thanks for looking into it. I did not remove anything from the files so delete if necessary thank you.

Edited by ice pube

@@Luke, Noticed this problem too, with exact the same symptoms as ice pube describes, with Emby server 3.2.70.2 beta.

This seems to happen with movies were chapter extraction isn't completed yet for a movie.

If the server has finished chapter extraction for those movies, this problem doesn't happen anymore, in the Emby Apple TV app.

I think this means that the app has crashed in the background but the video player continues.

Corey, can you look and see if maybe having partial chapter information could be tripping something up in the app?

@@ebr & @corey Something else is going on it seems, because the same movie that had this problems, that crashed the app, played fine in my last test this evening when I posted my previous message.... but playing it now, it crashes the app again becoming unresponsive and I notice this happens with all my existing movies in my library, even the old ones.

This crashes regardless of whether chapters have been extracted or not? It may be worth posting another server / ffmpeg log as well.

This crash is happening at random it seems, because now all is working again......

With my last post when the app became unresponsive again, I tried everything like restarting ATV and server, run all scheduled task concerning library, starting movie with or without subs (embedded or not), but that didn't solve the unresponsiveness in the app. Now, 10 hours later all is working as normal, so what is triggering the error in the Emby Apple TV app, because now, I can't reproduce it.

Will post logs, when error happens again, so you guys get a clean log....

Can you guys read out crash logs from ATV with guest account or is that only possible with Emby ATV beta app, if yes you can get access, like you had before.

Edit: Didn't have those problems in all of the 3.2.60.beta versions

Edited by Senna

Will post logs, when error happens again, so you guys get a clean log....

Can you guys read out crash logs from ATV with guest account or is that only possible with Emby ATV beta app, if yes you can get access, like you had before.

If the Apple TV app is actually crashing we can get the crash logs but the device logs can't be automatically retrieved.

WTF....... unresponsiveness is back again out of the blue.

Preparing logs now.

Edit: @@corey & @ebr, logs added now

Edited by Senna

Seems that the server branch of 3.2.70.x makes the Emby app on the Apple TV unresponsive for library content.

This is a randomly occurring error it seems, making the Emby Apple TV app useless for library content.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55226-apple-tv-playback-issues/

App version 1.1.11 doesn't fix the problem described in linked topic.

Until Emby devs fixes this bug, I would advise to stay on 3.2.60.x branch.

Edited by Senna

How are you determining this is related to the server version?  You said the problem was intermittent before.

@@Luke where can I find the download for the latest 3.2.60.x beta version I would like to install back again ?

Because that version worked without any problems for me.

ice pube

OK I have done some more testing myself. I seem to only have issues when I try to use the pulldown menu during playback. Is that the right term? Once I try to pull down (which doesn't work I get no response) then the app seems to crash. Cannot then use menu/pause, etc. Every time it crashes the app I have verified playback is still playing in the background on the home screen.

ice pube

Seems that the server branch of 3.2.70.x makes the Emby app on the Apple TV unresponsive for library content.

This is a randomly occurring error it seems, making the Emby Apple TV app useless for library content.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55226-apple-tv-playback-issues/

App version 1.1.11 doesn't fix the problem described in linked topic.

Until Emby devs fixes this bug, I would advise to stay on 3.2.60.x branch.

I had this issue on the previous server build, just an fyi.

Are you talking about the beta versions, because that were the versions in the 3.2.60.x branch I was talking about and used without problems.

Those version differ from the main 3.2.60 version.

OK I have done some more testing myself. I seem to only have issues when I try to use the pulldown menu during playback. Is that the right term? Once I try to pull down (which doesn't work I get no response) then the app seems to crash. Cannot then use menu/pause, etc. Every time it crashes the app I have verified playback is still playing in the background on the home screen.

Ah, interesting info, thanks.