All free themes gone?

sleepy

I've just installed Emby for WMC on a new build and all of the free themes are gone? Well, apart from Chocolate anyhow. The only themes available are the Premier ones at $10 a pop. What happened, are you giving up on WMC users?

If anyone can upload their free themes from their Computer it would be most appreciated!

Edited by sleepy

It's up to the discretion of the theme developers to decide what themes they want to offer, and I'm guessing that based on all the work involved they may have decided upon this.

In the meantime, have you tried our new Emby Theater app? It has a number of themes available to choose from. You can see screens of the themes here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-391-emby-server-3228-released/

And learn more about the app here:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

Thanks !

Thanks for the reply Luke. I have used Theatre a couple of times previously but I still think WMC is better experience. I do hope that the themes become available again in the future, typically I didn't do a backup!

• Like 1

Just my take for WMC. I paid for the bundle of all of Throgsoft's themes and couldn't be happier. They give me the look and feel I am accustomed to and that is worth the extra money. For me time is more valuable then a few dollars. Also you may want to consider the support of themes and as you rightly deducted WMC is becoming less and less a platform for Emby even though I agree with you that for me also it is the best experience since I have a Home Theater another dying part of the whole audio visual experience.

• Like 2

aspdend

Just my take for WMC. I paid for the bundle of all of Throgsoft's themes and couldn't be happier. They give me the look and feel I am accustomed to and that is worth the extra money. For me time is more valuable then a few dollars. Also you may want to consider the support of themes and as you rightly deducted WMC is becoming less and less a platform for Emby even though I agree with you that for me also it is the best experience since I have a Home Theater another dying part of the whole audio visual experience.

I agree in general - I've bought a lot of themes over the years to support the authors - and the best ones for me have been the Throgsoft themes - I will be a happy bunny when we can finally get some themes on Theatre as I am not a fan of the appearance generally. I will especially look forward to Throg's themes for Theatre and will buy them again (if that will happen)

• Like 1

Specifically, to what free themes are you referring?

I don't believe we ever provided any for Emby other than Chocolate and Classic.

I agree in general - I've bought a lot of themes over the years to support the authors - and the best ones for me have been the Throgsoft themes - I will be a happy bunny when we can finally get some themes on Theatre as I am not a fan of the appearance generally. I will especially look forward to Throg's themes for Theatre and will buy them again (if that will happen)

One of the reasons I am still on WMC and Win 7 just to make sure I have the Throgsoft experience. Once he has adapted them for the Emby Theater I also will repurchase them, but that is a time consuming and tall order for him. In addition I am happy with my playback solutions PDVD 16 for BDs with full menu support and MPC_HT for everything else with madVR and native frame rate playback. Don't know about the BD menu playback and the native fps playback.

Edited by One2Go
  • Like 1

aspdend

One of the reasons I am still on WMC and Win 7 just to make sure I have the Throgsoft experience. Once he has adapted them for the Emby Theater I also will repurchase them, but that is a time consuming and tall order for him. In addition I am happy with my playback solutions PDVD 16 for BDs with full menu support and MPC_HT for everything else with madVR and native frame rate playback. Don't know about the BD menu playback and the native fps playback.

I must say that I stayed with WMC and Win 7 for as long as I could, but when the EPG started being dysfunctional with a lack of updated info then live TV wasn't worth keeping and so I reluctantly made the move to Win10. I don't want to use a fudged version of WMC so am running Theatre currently. Which, with the new Hauppage update makes the return of LiveTV through Emby realistic again...just wish the people with talent could sort out the themes...

The live TV thingy never became a hot issue for me. At present I am running the HD Homerun tuner with on-board encoding and I use their Android tablet app for watching the news the few times I do. Never have the desire to watch Live TV on my 136" screen.

As far as watching or recording TV shows I also have followed a different path now for almost 10 years. Main reason for doing so, I can't stand watching Adverts/Commercials. For every 60 minutes of a show there are about 18 minutes of advertising the iTunes WebDLs are 43 minutes long because of proper end credits. In addition my watching habits have changed drastically. Again I can't stand watching 1 episode per week for a time then have a few weeks break over the holidays and then watch again an episodes per week until the seasons ends. I am into binge watching now and watch a whole season in a few days and be done with it. No need to remember from week to week or break to break what had happened now it is only from season to season.

Here is a good example, have not watched a single episode yet of the Big Bang Theory or Suits this season, When the BluRays come out I will have a few weeks to be done with my binge watching. I became accustomed to this after watching Netflix and Amazon with their original series and liked it very much. Life is too short and what we do with our time should be entertaining and the trend that Tivo started with their PVR to watch what we want at a time when we want to, has only been refined and made easier by programs like Emby or Plex and cloud storage. Now we can prioritization our viewing and viewing what we want, when we want, from wherever we are even remote over the Internet when we travel.

For keeping up with current TV programs I use an excellent site that lists what is on now https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ It is not an EPG but you select your shows that you are interested in and it shows you when they are being aired plus a little summary.

Sorry for the lengthy dissertation but I am ready now to go upstairs and catch up with the Black Mirror :lol:

jachin99

A few of the free ones didn't work right to be honest. Maybe someone who has these themes installed could give out their theme files.

• 4 weeks later...
infinitereality

Figured I'd chime in.  I kept Win7 and WMC for as long as I can, and I also purchased Throgsoft's themes, even though over time I've come to prefer Chocolate layout.  They are WELL worth the money.

That being said, after suggestions on here to consider Theater and Win10, with new(er) hardware for the HTPC and had to wipe anyways, I took the plunge and bought a Win10 Pro key for $12 and already have Premier. I wasn't sure at first, as it took me a few days, but now I'm really digging Theater and all the additional bonuses it comes with it compared to WMC. I can't wait for more themes to come available, especially from Throgsoft.

• 11 months later...

I had Subdued working just the way I liked it until a serious hardware issue many months back now. Anyway, I was using Emby via the web on the Chrome browser from a borrowed system until I could afford to rebuild my own new PC. It was at this point I noticed the free themes, with the exception of Chocolate, had gone from the Plugins. Such a shame but if they weren't being updated then I understand why they were removed.

throgmorton

I wasn't sure at first, as it took me a few days, but now I'm really digging Theater and all the additional bonuses it comes with it compared to WMC.

I've looked at Theater from time to time as well and was curious what are the additional bonuses you are talking about.  It could be just how I organized my collection but I just didn't see anything of added value, but maybe I missed something.

• Like 1

infinitereality

I've looked at Theater from time to time as well and was curious what are the additional bonuses you are talking about.  It could be just how I organized my collection but I just didn't see anything of added value, but maybe I missed something.

Honestly it's been too long to recall all the bonuses that ET had to offer.  I don't believe I have to use MetaBrowser anymore, although I still do to stay consistent and use artwork I prefer. I believe trailers for movies are also automatically linked to movies now so no separate downloads for them.  No more imagesbyname folder I think.  It's easier to search for movies as well.  The covers come up alot quicker for me when scrolling through a genre. One thing I really like is if you're part way through a movie or TV show and exit out to go to bed or whatever, it'll save your spot and add a thumbnail to continue it next time you load up ET.

I was reluctant to give up WMC, but after a couple of weeks with ET I'm happy and haven't once thought about going back. I didn't even realize it's been almost a year.

throgmorton

Ok thanks for the info, a few of those are available on WMC like the resuming movie stuff, its just an option to turn on to have the folders show up.  I find WMC actually loads the posters up quicker than ET.  I still use MetaBrowser to handle stuff as well since the Emby Metamanger is nowhere near as clean.

The main things for me was the experience an navigation and I only see skins available so it doesn't look as nice IMHO.

With my lengthy experience using EMC and Throg's themes, I have a unified way of playing it back, a WAF plus since I have been doing this for years developed a routine that is time saving. I always believed that a dedicated program or utility will do a better job then an integrated solution, unless you are Microsoft and by the whole company. I use Media Center Master for my images and metadata and it has served me well for many years. Since I customize almost 50% of my images as well as generate Logo.png and ClearArt.png images I do prefer a separate utility as I know where it sticks what it has found. Also often I need to add detail to the metadata again easier for me because I am in a routine and done it for years. Also I have blank XML templates to use when nothing can be found by the fetchers / scrappers. Mostly this has to do with German content.

For anyone using a 10ft remote navigation is important. One of the things I really like in Throg's themes is that after watching something and you really like the actor playing a particular character, just click on the actors name in the detail view and it will bring up instantly a small overview of the actor plus what movies or TV episodes he has starred in and if that content is on your server it has a little check mark next to it. Well done.

• 7 months later...

Apologies for bumping the post but just curious whether Throg ever has a "sale" as $10 per theme is rather a lot, especially considering I can't even try trial them fr some reason?

Apologies for bumping the post but just curious whether Throg ever has a "sale" as $10 per theme is rather a lot, especially considering I can't even try trial them fr some reason?

Since he posts here send him a PM. I got the whole bundle all his themes and especially Destiny the one theme that binds them all :D and I believe I paid $50 for all his themes. It is worth to support him like this because he will correct his themes if there is a change and switch in Emby. A good example of that is he introduced a way to display Studios in his themes while no other theme does it because Emby no longer supplies the studio information.

So PM him here in the forum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
throgmorton

The system doesn't really allow "sales" but for users who want to purchase all the themes as @@One2Go mentioned I give a 50% discount.

I have no control over resetting the trial periods on the system. The only way I believe you can do that by yourself is setting up Emby or possibly your WMC machine on a new system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk