Cinema Mode with External Players

BuddahKat

BuddahKat

Hi,

I recently subscribed to Emby Premiere mainly for the benefit of being able to use Cinema mode so that trailers will play before my movies. This works well in the web interface however when I attempt to play a movie in the WMC app it does nothing (i.e. when I click the 'Play' button nothing happens, I have to go turn off Cinema mode in the app settings for the movie to play at all). The trailers play fine if I play them from the 'Trailers' folder within the WMC app, its only when playing a movie does it not work. My app and server versions are below I believe are the latest. Please advise, thanks.

Emby for WMC: 3.0.307.0

Emby Server: 3.2.70.0

BuddahKat

Ok I attached the log file... just from a quick browse it seems this is the relevant error when I attempt to play the movie (in red below). Are the file paths to the trailers too long??

2018-01-21 14:31:11.4604,Info,,Playing 3 Intros before Atomic Blonde,1,Application
2018-01-21 14:31:11.4614,Info,,Internal Player about to play (http://10.0.0.2:8096/emby/videos/729bc0bdfed6c300237236c50b6befb8/stream.asf?DeviceId=e3d73e0897a4444fb92cd0371b8f2ade&MediaSourceId=9311bdf811cd0ee1295afdb8e5d7422a&VideoCodec=msmpeg4&AudioCodec=wmav2&AudioStreamIndex=-1&VideoBitrate=39872000&AudioBitrate=128000&MaxAudioChannels=2&api_key=615edc9bff1246cf9677e99b4862ec8a&CopyTimestamps=false&ForceLiveStream=false) ,1,Application
2018-01-21 14:31:11.4614,Info,,Internal Player playing ,1,Application
2018-01-21 14:31:11.4614,Debug,,Calling MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia: Microsoft.MediaCenter.MediaCollection,1,Application
2018-01-21 14:31:11.4704,Error,,Error playing item:  ( Exception.  Type=System.ArgumentException Msg=Registry key names should not be greater than 255 characters. Src=mscorlib Method=HandleReturnMessage Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]  [n] Server stack trace:  [n]    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource) [n]    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName(String name) [n]    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name,, Boolean writable) [n]    at ServiceBus.UIFramework.EhFileInfo.GetPerceivedType(String path) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Playback.MediaCollectionEntryBuilder.Build(MediaCollectionItem mediaCollectionItem) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Playback.MediaCollectionMediaItem.Initialize(MediaCollection mediaCollection) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Playback.MediaCollectionMediaItemBuilder.Build(MediaCollection mediaCollection) [n]    at MediaCenter.Extensibility.MCHostControl.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media) [n]    at MediaCenter.Extensibility.MCHostControl.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media,, Boolean fAddToQueue) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.Dispatch(Object target) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg) [n]  [n] Exception rethrown at [0]:  [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg,, IMessage retMsg) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData,, Int32 type) [n]    at MediaCenter.Extensibility.MCHostControl.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media,, Boolean fAddToQueue) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md,, Object[] args,, Object server,, Object[]& outArgs) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg) [n]  [n] Exception rethrown at [1]:  [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg,, IMessage retMsg) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData,, Int32 type) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.AddIn.HostControl.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media,, Boolean addToQueue) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media,, Boolean addToQueue) [n]    at MediaBrowser.PlaybackController.CallPlayMediaUsingMediaCollection(MediaCenterEnvironment mediaCenterEnvironment,, PlayableItem playable) [n]    at MediaBrowser.PlaybackController.PlayPlayableItem(PlayableItem playable) ),1,Application
2018-01-21 14:31:12.0227,Info,,Sending Http Get to http://10.0.0.2:8096/emby/Users/d8c16af4-45fb-4bd4-984c-5fe4ecd11dc3/Items/bee55a0d7b8d1ccd60a68cb50dae07c9/Intros?format=Json,1,Application

MBClassic-2112018e8ed08ab8b644c7a918b07d717c23a39.log

Edited by BuddahKat

BuddahKat

Ok the server log is attached. It's from this morning, all I did was go into Emby for WMC and attempt to play the movie 'Atomic Blonde' as described above. I clicked the play button multiple times and nothing happened. Hopefully something in the log will illuminate whats going on... Let me know if you need anymore logs from earlier time points, other activities, etc. Thanks!

server-63652181828.txt

Hi there, are you sure this server log is from the time that you tried to play using Emby for WMC? I don't see any playback activity here. Thanks !

Perhaps @@ebr may have some insight on the activity in the Emby for WMC log.

BuddahKat

The source of the trailers should be the Trailers plugin (ver. 1.1.2.0).

Also here's an updated log file starting from when I launch Emby for WMC and including clicking play 3 times on the movie 'Atomic Blonde' ('embyServerLog_cinemaModeON.txt', this is with Cinema Mode ON). Quickly looking in the file I don't see any record of it attempting to play the movie either, though that's not really surprising honestly considering nothing happens when I hit the play button. Again, turning off Cinema mode within Emby for WMC and then clicking play on the same movie works fine (as indicated in 'embyServerLog_cinemaModeOFF.txt'). Based off that it seems that the issue is with Cinema mode in the WMC app. Please advise, thanks.

embyServerLog_cinemaModeON.txt

embyServerLog_cinemaModeOFF.txt

• 2 weeks later...
BuddahKat

Any update on this?? If someone could just replicate it, i.e. confirm that it's not working on their setup as well that would be helpful too.

Having trailers play before my movies was the main reason I decided to pay for Premiere, so if it isn't working I'll likely stop paying for it.

I cannot reproduce this.  The issue is related to the format of this particular trailer as the ones I seem to get are all direct streamed (so have a shorter url) and play fine.

This is a limitation that doesn't exist in the other apps so we'll have to see if there is anything this app can do in this situation to avoid it.

• 1 month later...
jachin99

Hi there, are you sure this server log is from the time that you tried to play using Emby for WMC? I don't see any playback activity here. Thanks !

Perhaps @@ebr may have some insight on the activity in the Emby for WMC log.

@@Luke when I have this problem the intended movie doesn't lay either. I got my intro video to play once but then the movie didn't play.

Probably because the app is not recovering and moving onto the next title. Nonetheless we are looking into the trailer issue. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
jachin99

Just to be sure nothing gets missed trailers in cinema mode with an external player in EMC isn't working g correctly and I don't get a link for trailers in EMC for each movie. I have two movies in EMC with trailer links and they both have local trailers nested in the movies folder. For the emby web app everything seems to be working g normally. I know it's Easter and I don't want to leave anyone with the impression that my problems are more important but as you look into this I'm asking you to be mindful of these problems also

I think everyone mentioned in another topic that Cinema mode in emc is not supported with external players. We should probably just disable it internally in this situation but until then you'll have to make a choice between Cinema mode and external players.

jachin99

Ok. What about links to trailers for each of my movies in EMC? I don't even see a link to web trailers but I see trailer links in each movie .nfo file.

We haven't added youtube support to this app yet. Why not try Emby Theater? It has all of these features.

jachin99

Thanks for the help and I'll keep an eye out for the update. Maybe someday I'll try ET but not as long as WMC still works.