No Recorded TV Playback in Windows 10 or Xbox One S

UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Hello,

When attempting to play recorded TV, the controls disappear and we are presented with a black screen with no video or audio playback.
We have playback of the same content in Firefox.

All machines are rebooted and up to date.  This behavior persists for two days (perhaps after latest server update to 3.70).

I shared the log files at the following link.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnfmLnbQksWOhytOE0vZjYY-aJvZ

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by UnderMiner

hi, i notice you've customized the server crf setting. can you try restoring those settings to default? thanks !

UnderMiner

Hello,

I changed the crf back to the default with the same result.  I placed a new set of logs at the link above.

Please review and let me know of any additional troubleshooting steps.

UnderMiner

Hello,

I placed a sample video in a folder at the link above.  I included the associated log file along with screen capture of the task manager and the Emby console while playing back on Firefox.

There is no ffmpeg transcode or any other activity when trying to use Emby Theater.

Guest asrequested

In the store app, black screen for 20 seconds, then it plays with no audio. It's 6 channel AAC. I have a feeling that's the problem. When I play it in windows media player, there's no sound there, either. It plays fine in the desktop app. On your windows PC, you should use the desktop app

It's the audio. I lowered the bitrate to force transcoding, and it wouldn't play. Looking at the log, the audio was stream copied. 

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

OK, this is curious. I just tried playing a movie I have that has 6 channel AAC. It plays, fine. There must be something odd in the encoding. I remuxed it, and it still won't play, correctly.

Transcoded it in Handbrake, audio to 2 channel AAC, and it plays, fine

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I think I see an issue. Pulling up the details media info, there's no bitrate and no stream size. So i think windows doesn't know what to do with it. It looks like ffprobe in the server is trying to fill the blank, but I think it's using best guess. My movie with 6 channel AAC, shows a bitrate and stream size.

5a6511da8ead9_Snapshot_407.jpg

5a6511ffa0246_Snapshot_408.jpg

UnderMiner

Hello Doofus,
Thanks for the excellent testing.

In my case, I have not changed any TV recording settings for a long time (months) and this issue started on January 19.  I record every day and files from Jan. 18 play correctly.
The files do not play with the Windows app store Emby theater program or Emby theater on Xbox.
They do play using Emby on Firefox and with VLC media player (v 2.2.8).
They also play correctly using DLNA to my Panasonic TV but the volume is lower than previous recordings.
I could not locate the audio settings for recorded TV in the Emby Server management page.

Edited by UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Yes, the "Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format" feature is turned on.

Guest asrequested

Ok, so it looks like ffmeg is not converting the audio, correctly. That will have to be looked at. In the mean time, try selecting 'preserve original audio'. The audio will mostly be AC3, which is widely supported.

UnderMiner

After changing the settings, the recorded TV playback is working correctly.

Until this is fixed, we will have larger file sizes but I'm sure it will be addressed over time.

UnderMiner

For 30 minutes of video, the .ts format is 3.6 GB and the previous .mkv format was 1.2 GB.

I had the crf set at 25 and now it is at 23 but I don't believe this is active in the .ts format.

The good news is that the audio and picture quality are very good.

My eventual goal is to have high quality audio with reasonable video (we are fans of the Voice and appreciate the better multi-channel audio).

We use an HDHomerun OTA but we only have four channels available in Canada.  Fortunately, it covers most news and regular programming.

• 2 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Hello,

I'm just checking to see if this issue will be addressed in the next update so that I may activate the feature to "Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format".

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Hello,

I updated to the latest version of Emby Server after waiting for over one month and hoping that this issue would be fixed but unfortunately, the behavior is the same.

When I turn on the transcode feature, we cannot playback in Emby Theater both in Windows and on Xbox.  It works in the Firefox browser.

I updated the log files in the location shared in the first post.

Please review and let me know if the issues with transcoding may be fixed.  We need this feature to improve skipping speed and to reduce hard drive space.

Thanks.

Edited by UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Hello,

I included the link to the Feb 28 server logs to hopefully have some feedback to assist with this issue.  I removed the transcoding feature for the moment but this make Emby difficult to use because it uses a lot of disk space and all of the server CPU.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnfmLnbQksWOhytOE0vZjYY-aJvZ