101 replies to this topic

#81 anujpuri85 OFFLINE  

anujpuri85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:36 PM

I haven't found a way to, not while allowing the end user to still just type in the subdomain (emby.domain.com) in a browser and reaching the server.

Edited by anujpuri85, 12 April 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#82 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:41 PM

FYI. Was able to get a year of Torguard at %50 off with coupon code "vpnmentor". I'm not assoc with them. Just thought I'd pass it along. Hope that isnt against forum rules.

Bobby

#83 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:32 PM

Hi @Doofus, I'm having issues with the port forwarding. I've signed up for Torguard, Selected a sock5 ip from their list. In the MY SERVICES within their client area I selected MANAGE, then REQUEST PORT FORWARDING, added the port and pasted the socks5 IP, protocol TCP and port/auth 192|SHA256 (I assume this selects the encryption?). The TorGuard dashboard connects and shows the Dedicated IP that I chose, and I can browse without issues. When I start Emby it shows the correct dedicated IP as the WAN address and the port I want to use. However on my tablet when I type in that dedicated IP and the port I forwarded, it fails to connect. If I click on the WAN address (the TorGuard dedicated IP) it says this site can't be reached.

I selected TCP though out the TorGuard settings. Would UDP make a difference? TCP and same port are what's selected on the router.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Bobby

Edited by BobbyDing, 24 April 2019 - 02:41 PM.

#84 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 PM

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

If the IP in the Emby dashboard is the TG IP that should be correct. On your tablet, why are you entering the IP? Have you tried using Emby connect?

#85 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

If the IP in the Emby dashboard is the TG IP that should be correct. On your tablet, why are you entering the IP? Have you tried using Emby connect?

Just because I typically use the tablet for accessing Emby from everywhere. When I use Emby connect it does not find the machine. I does show my other emby server running on the network. Different IP, different port.

#86 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

And you're sure you followed the guide, closely? All of your port forwarding has to match. Router through the VPN, it has to line up. Try canyouseeme and see what it tells you.

#87 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

And you're sure you followed the guide, closely? All of your port forwarding has to match. Router through the VPN, it has to line up. Try canyouseeme and see what it tells you.

canyouseeme does show the dedicated ip and is good when using port 80. It fails when I use the forwarded port 8097. This is the port number forwarded in the router as well, which has worked fine for accessing this particular server for several months. I went through the setup twice before posting. I will again. 

#88 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:07 PM

If you close the TG app and restart the server so it uses your IP, are you able to get access?

#89 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

canyouseeme does show the dedicated ip and is good when using port 80. It fails when I use the forwarded port 8097. This is the port number forwarded in the router as well, which has worked fine for accessing this particular server for several months. I went through the setup twice before posting. I will again.

Hmmm...can you PM me all of your config. For your router and TG? Screenshots would be good.

#90 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Shutdown torguard and emby. restarted emby. Connect can now see both servers. I will gather that info and PM you. Thx.

#91 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 03:54 PM

Sent. Thank You.

#92 BobbyDing OFFLINE  

BobbyDing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

Removed...

Edited by BobbyDing, 25 April 2019 - 01:02 AM.

#93 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Maybe a dumb question but has anyone had any issues with all traffic getting through TorGuard even with ports not open?

Today I set Torguard up again and without opening any ports on Torguard I was able to connect to every single service (Emby, RDP etc) remotely using my isp's IP address even though when I check my IP address on sites like "ipchicken.com" I am showing the TorGuard ip. 

I would like to encrypt all my data that Emby streams remotely but I can't imagine that's being done if TorGuard isn't blocking any incoming connections. Ive gone through the SSL setup for Emby but there are far to many varying instructions and they all expect you to have some things already setup. Then the one that was simple required you have an account for 30 days. Needless to say, not a very user friendly setup. 

Anyways, I need to secure my server a bit before I can continue using it but it doesn't seem like TorGuard is doing its job. 

#94 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

Have you enabled automatic port mapping anywhere? And just to be clear, the encryption is between you and their VPN server. There, it's decrypted, but all traffic genericised, and Torguard takes ownership of the traffic. So it's not an anti-hacking solution, but an obfuscation. To find your server, the hacker would need to specify their target. Basically, very few if any, will accidentally find your server. They do however, provide protection against DoS etc.

#95 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

Have you enabled automatic port mapping anywhere? And just to be clear, the encryption is between you and their VPN server. There, it's decrypted, but all traffic genericised, and Torguard takes ownership of the traffic. So it's not an anti-hacking solution, but an obfuscation. To find your server, the hacker would need to specify their target. Basically, very few if any, will accidentally find your server. They do however, provide protection against DoS etc.

So I may be misunderstanding how this works then. I honestly don't know much about this security stuff so I try and follow directions and let it be. All I want to do is block my isp from monitoring what Im streaming, even though what I am streaming is over the air dvr recordings. 

So I setup TorGuard the way you explained and that's all fine. Emby recognizing the TorGuard ip. The issue is I can use my real IP address to connect to Emby without opening any ports on Torguard. Should that be possible?

Auto port mapping is off because I am using a port I specified. 

#96 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14419 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

So I may be misunderstanding how this works then. I honestly don't know much about this security stuff so I try and follow directions and let it be. All I want to do is block my isp from monitoring what Im streaming, even though what I am streaming is over the air dvr recordings. 

So I setup TorGuard the way you explained and that's all fine. Emby recognizing the TorGuard ip. The issue is I can use my real IP address to connect to Emby without opening any ports on Torguard. Should that be possible?

Auto port mapping is off because I am using a port I specified. 

Yes, as you are bypassing the vpn and connecting directly to your router/modem..

#97 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:44 PM

Yes, as you are bypassing the vpn and connecting directly to your router/modem..

Ok then is there any way to verify that the streaming is indeed being hidden from my isp?

#98 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

Have you disabled upnp (automatic port mapping) on Torguard?

#99 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

Have you disabled upnp (automatic port mapping) on Torguard?

I have not (Cant even find that option) but I just switched dedicated ip's and things started working like they should. I couldn't get into Emby using the App.Emby.Media page (previously I could) and I also couldn't RDP into my server anymore (previously could). Once I opened the ports then it all worked like it should. 

Like I said though, the only thing I changed was moving from a Miami IP to a Dallas IP. The Miami one was giving me access to everything without any ports open at all. 

Edited by TylerV76, 03 June 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#100 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11371 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

All I want to do is block my isp from monitoring what Im streaming, even though what I am streaming is over the air dvr recordings.

That's what will happen. All traffic is heavily encrypted on your machine, then goes through Torguard. Your ISP can't read anything coming from that machine. If you have services on another machine, they won't be behind Torguard. Unless you run Torguard on your router, which is what I now do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users