• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 bifflowman OFFLINE  

bifflowman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:32 AM

No. The TG app will encrypt all internet activity on that machine, between you and the proxy. And they use stealth proxies, which means that by the time the data hits the internet, not only is all the identifying info removed but the traffic looks like generic traffic. The intention being that your ISP doesn't even know it's a VPN. They claim they have no DNS leakage. You can still use SSL, if you wish. I chose to use a VPN instead of a domain with SSL, because it's just easier. They have layers of their own security. 

Totally radical. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

Edited by bifflowman, 17 January 2019 - 04:35 AM.

#62 Pain OFFLINE  

Pain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 AM
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

I set this up like the directions said and am using Torguard on Nvidia Shield and its working fine I am able to connect and see my Emby server. But the live TV is not working. I see my HDHomrun tuner thru browser but it seems Emby does not see it anymore.

#63 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

I set this up like the directions said and am using Torguard on Nvidia Shield and its working fine I am able to connect and see my Emby server. But the live TV is not working. I see my HDHomrun tuner thru browser but it seems Emby does not see it anymore.

Only Live TV, you can play videos?

#64 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 134563 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:11 PM

Why do you feel that Emby doesn't see your HD  Homerun?

#65 Pain OFFLINE  

Pain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:24 PM

Yes I can play Videos. I just enabled that lan option in the torguard app and can now see the TV Guide. All seems to work within the network. Not sure out of the network just yet..

Edited by Pain, 20 January 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#66 notla49285 OFFLINE  

notla49285

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:30 AM

The HDHomeRun doesn't play well with VPNs >> https://emby.media/c...ed-from-network

Edited by notla49285, 21 January 2019 - 01:30 AM.

#67 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:34 AM

I've got two HDHomerun Primes, and I have no issues with using them with Torguard.

#68 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:25 AM

Sorry for going off topic but do you need SSL if you are using a VPN?

Thanks again for all of the help you provided!

No. The TG app will encrypt all internet activity on that machine, between you and the proxy. And they use stealth proxies, which means that by the time the data hits the internet, not only is all the identifying info removed but the traffic looks like generic traffic. The intention being that your ISP doesn't even know it's a VPN. They claim they have no DNS leakage. You can still use SSL, if you wish. I chose to use a VPN instead of a domain with SSL, because it's just easier. They have layers of their own security. 

This is correct, but traffic from the proxy/VPN server to the end user isn't encrypted, if they don't use VPN in their end. If you use a domain with SSL to your emby server, the traffic is encrypted all the way to the end user.....

Edited by HaraldBluetooth, 25 January 2019 - 05:28 AM.

#69 compjd84 OFFLINE  

compjd84

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:54 PM

Any chance someone could help me with setting up I have a linsys smart wifi router im running emby on a qnap nas im not very good with routers and such but if you have time I can follow directions but not exactly sure what to do even after reading your post I do have a better understanding but not enough. actually im stuck before step 1 on forwarding ports and what info I need and where to insert. I would even be willing to pay for someones time to help you can private message me.

#70 jeremymathiesen OFFLINE  

jeremymathiesen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

I just found this guide and it's really appreciated!! though I do have some recommendations for people that will make it a lot easier for yourself and any users you have connecting to you.

1. install Emby and configure to hearts desire
2. go to https://www.duckdns.org and register a free subdomain

3. download/install the auto IP address updater (updates duckdns every 5-60 min on your current ip address)

4. install torguard (use coupon "SAVE50OFF")

5. have torguard auto start/connect using preferred connection method

complete, no need to port forward random ip address or pay for a static ip since it doesn't matter if your ip changes as duckdns is auto updating it anyways.

hope this helps people out, again thanks for the info on torguard

#71 anujpuri85 OFFLINE  

anujpuri85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:25 PM

@Doofus or anyone else:

Sorry for commenting on such an old topic, but I have a question before I go down this path of setting up a vpn: I am currently using nginx to, not only assign my SSL cert, but also route traffic to different services on my computer, such as Emby, Radarr, Sickrage, etc. How do I go about setting up the VPN in order to keep all my services accessible through the VPN? 

Here's my current setup (fake ports and such): 

- Emby server setup, using the default port 8096.

- Sickrage server setup, using port 1111.

- Radarr server setup, using port 2222.

- I then own a domain (mymediaserver.com), on which I've created a subdomain for each service (emby.mymediaserver.com ; sickrage.mymediaserver.com; radarr.mymediaserver.com). 

- Then based on which subdomain url a client goes to in their browser, my nginx routes them to the appropriate server based on the port that was assigned above.

Now, how do I go about setting up torguard so that all my services/all traffic is behind the VPN and i can still access all services just by going to the domain/subdomain i already have?

#72 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

That's a very good question, and one I've wondered about. I don't use a reverse proxy, so I don't really know. But if you're redirecting everything through one port, you may need to run the VPN in front of that? So if you put everything through 443, then forward that port through the VPN??? Just a guess. @pir8radio would likely know.

#73 anujpuri85 OFFLINE  

anujpuri85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:51 PM

I've been fooling around with it for several hours now and haven't figured out a way to get it working. Unfortunately, Torguard doesn't allow you to forward port 443. Any other ideas?

#74 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:56 PM

I've been fooling around with it for several hours now and haven't figured out a way to get it working. Unfortunately, Torguard doesn't allow you to forward port 443. Any other ideas?

That doesn't sound right. When I configured the interface on pfsense, I had to use 443, they were the ones who told me to use it. You may want to open a ticket with them. They are very helpful. 

#75 anujpuri85 OFFLINE  

anujpuri85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

That doesn't sound right. When I configured the interface on pfsense, I had to use 443, they were the ones who told me to use it. You may want to open a ticket with them. They are very helpful. 

Their response: sorry, we use port 443 or any port below 2048 and therefore cannot let users open it for incoming connections.

Any other ideas?

#76 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

That would explain why they had me configure 443. Could you use a different port? Other than that, I don't know. What about using cloudflare? I think I read somewhere that they offer some kind of anonymizing.

#77 anujpuri85 OFFLINE  

anujpuri85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

Never used cloudflare before. what is it exactly? All I know about it is the 1.1.1.1 stuff, which I don't think would help me here.

#78 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/

#79 anujpuri85 OFFLINE  

anujpuri85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:18 PM

Well, I saw that, but I guess I don't understand how Cloudflare would really help us. From what I'm getting from their site, they basically serve up sites faster because they cache static stuff on your page, correct? Is that even relevant to us, since media on emby would constantly change? Also, cloudflare doesn't anonymize traffic like a VPN does, correct?

#80 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11756 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:28 PM

It doesn't do what a VPN does, but apparently they do provide some privacy behind their service. Specifically how that works, I don't know. One of these other guys would have to tell you more. And you aren't able to use a port that Torguard will allow you to open?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users