101 replies to this topic

#21 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts
  • Local time: 01:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

Are you also using an SSL, or configured anything in the emby server? I haven't done anything in the server.

#22 notla49285 OFFLINE  

notla49285

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

No, I had set "Secure connection mode" as "Disabled" and removed the domain certificate so all settings were back to default.

#23 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128711 posts
  • Local time: 04:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:34 PM

Is the connection to our admin server being blocked? That's what it looks like.

#24 notla49285 OFFLINE  

notla49285

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:45 AM

@Luke, maybe but how would I test that and/or get round it?

Edit: By the way, at the moment I've gone back to my old settings, accessing Emby via a domain I own and running an agent on my server which updates the domain with my real IP address, whilst simultaneously running a VPN. I've had another failure to calculate statistics for all users last night, which I can only presume is being blocked or interfered with by TorGuard. Not too impressed as I've just paid for 12 months TG subscription...

Edited by notla49285, 18 December 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128711 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

I apologize but I'm not familiar with TorGuard. Is there a way to configure it to allow the requests?

#26 notla49285 OFFLINE  

notla49285

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

I apologise too, I'm not familiar with it either, I got it after discovering this thread, but haven't managed to get it to work alongside Emby. I've gone back to using my domain for the time being, I'll create a separate thread at some point when I've got the energy to try and pursue a VPN and domain setup.

@Doofus (or anyone else), do you know more than us about this?

#27 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

It sounds like you're trying to do more than I have. Presently, I'm running TG on pfsense. It's a fairly straightforward setup. Is there anything different that you're doing other than what I put in the guide? Can you tell me exactly what you've done?

Edited by Doofus, 18 December 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#28 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:02 PM

I updated the OP, as Torguard has updated their site, since I originally posted this.

#29 notla49285 OFFLINE  

notla49285

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:53 AM

It sounds like you're trying to do more than I have. Presently, I'm running TG on pfsense. It's a fairly straightforward setup. Is there anything different that you're doing other than what I put in the guide? Can you tell me exactly what you've done?

For this example, my VPN IP is 123.456.123.456 and Emby port 1234.

- Reset the Emby server settings back to default (removed my domain, certificate, etc)

- Logged into my TorGuard account online > Services > My Services > Manage > Request Port Forward

- Added two port forward requests, both to forward to port 1234, both on same VPN server, one TCP, one UDP

- Installed TG client on my machine, added the set up port forwarding details as my VPN server and connected to it

- Restarted Emby so that it's picking up my VPN IP address, external WAN now set as http://123.456.123.456:1234 (which is correct)

- Added an inbound rule on my router to forward traffic coming in on port 1234 to my server (for both TCP and UDP)

This setup used to work using AirVPN, I've tried the following (none of which worked):

- Adding a firewall rule to Windows for port 1234 (rules already exists for allowing embyserver.exe to communicate)

- Changing the external port in Emby settings to that of the TG server (thinking that Emby Connect would use the VPN IP and VPN port, which TG then redirects to my server)

- Manually typing http://[VPN IP]:[VPN Port] in a remote browser to access my library

Also, as above, TG now seems to be either blocking or obscuring traffic going to Emby's servers. At the moment I've had to reinstate my domain settings as Emby just would not connect or find my server, nor could I navigate to it manually. I currently have TG running but I have a background service updating my DNS provider with my real IP, so when I browse to my domain it connects to my real IP over an SSL connection, whereas everything else running on my machine goes through the VPN (including the scheduled Emby tasks which are now failing).

I'm not too impressed with TorGuard at the moment, I'm all for security but not to the point where the system becomes unusable  :angry:

Edited by notla49285, 19 December 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#30 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

The only two things that I can think of are there is some kind of DNS issue (TG are great at helping with issues), or your ISP is blocking something. Have you tried a different port? Maybe 443?

#31 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

"- Added two port forward requests, both to forward to port 1234, both on same VPN server, one TCP, one UDP"

This is something I don't do. I just forwarded once only with TCP.

Edited by Doofus, 19 December 2018 - 04:17 PM.

#32 jmatsukawa OFFLINE  

jmatsukawa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 AM

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Post removed, my apologies if I posted incorrect information.

Edited by jmatsukawa, 11 January 2019 - 07:29 PM.

#33 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128711 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

Great, thanks for the info !

#34 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

I have that link in the OP. All of that info is up there.

#35 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

I guess I should bullet point it, so its step 1, step 2 etc

#36 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

And you shouldn't be pinning an IP. I specified using a SOCKS5 IP and provided a link to the list of IPs.

#37 jmatsukawa OFFLINE  

jmatsukawa

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

Doofus, sorry I just wanted to point out I made mistakes and had Torguard apparently working, although apparently improperly.  Your guide was what helped get me going and I definitely made mistakes. I was just trying to let people know I had made mistakes and those seemed to crop up since I believe I missed that step in my original setup.

• Doofus likes this

#38 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

I think I'll re-write it, and try to make everything more obvious. I was assuming that people wanting to do this had enough experience. That was my mistake. Once I do, it will be helpful if you guys give some feedback as to it's clarity. What would have make more clear, for you? I'm thinking 1...2...3... etc with interspersed screenshots?

#39 jmatsukawa OFFLINE  

jmatsukawa

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

Thanks again for your original guide, I really haven't done much with VPN's etc so I was just winging it. I think what sent me down a strange configuration path was 2 things.  Screen shots would have definitely helped.

My first mistake, led to my second mistake pinning my IP.

When I read "I use a static IP, not a Host", I clicked on the link for the Socks5 proxy list and I didn't notice it was split into two lists that are sequential on the torguard site.  Where the top of the list which is pretty long was just their proxy list, and I didn't scroll down far enough to see the socks5 list about 5 screens below their SSL\HTTP proxy list.  So when I went to fill out the Port forward request, I ended up using my Windows 10 torguard client IP and then pinned it thinking that was the static IP mentioned above. (Mistake 2).

Now that I have it worked out it's pretty obvious, but I just haven't done much with VPN's in the past and know just enough to make mistakes which seem to work, with the emphasis on seems.

#40 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11342 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

I was thinking that may have been a stumbling block. I'll add something like "scroll to bottom of the page" and maybe add a screenshot. I'll give it more structure on the understanding that you guys have never done this before. And maybe add some warnings, or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users