Bandwidth usage

rorbit

rorbit
I live in a rural area and am limited to just 10g a month bandwidth by cellular (overage is nuts $20 per gig). What I would like to know is if I just used this app for MB functions would I incur much bandwidth usage?  Could I turn off other functions of the Roku to save bandwidth?

Koleckai Silvestri

Downloading the channel initially, program updates and retrieving metadata from the providers is the only thing that should use your cellular bandwidth. For the Roku, it would stream over your local ethernet or WiFi from Media Browser. 

The metadata retrieval is done by the server and only occurs once.

rorbit

Thank you for the response What do you mean “Downloading the channel initially” if all stays under a gig I should be good to go.

Logos302

He just means that you download the channel once for each ruko.   And as for the metadata once you have it you will always have it as long as you tell mediabrowser to save metadata with your files (Movies and TV show folders).  if you already have the metadata  (in a format that mediabrowser server understands) already you shouldn't use too much bandwidth there either.   

rorbit

Thank you, I have saved my metadata in the Movies and TV show folders. So good to go with the Roku 3? will its remote work browsing movies and TV shows.

Happy2Play

If you have metadata for all your Movies and TV Series you should be good to go with the ROKU.  MBS may download any missing metadata unless you turn off that feature.  There is nothing on the ROKU that you will need to disable, unless you disable updates which I would not recommend.  And yes the ROKU remote will work browsing your collection.