One m3u, multiple guide sources

Croll12

I have an m3u file I am using as a tuner and would like to pull the guide data from multiple Schedule Direct Headends. How are the channels matched in the guide data? Channel number, name? I have one headend that takes care of 80% of the file and then the remainders are matched over two other headends. I know I can add multiple guide sources, but my concern is overwriting channel data and possible channel number duplication. Is any match used with the tag-id returned from Schedules Direct?

kanipek

I have an m3u file I am using as a tuner and would like to pull the guide data from multiple Schedule Direct Headends. How are the channels matched in the guide data? Channel number, name? I have one headend that takes care of 80% of the file and then the remainders are matched over two other headends. I know I can add multiple guide sources, but my concern is overwriting channel data and possible channel number duplication. Is any match used with the tag-id returned from Schedules Direct?

I have only 1 of the m3u "tuners" selected for each Guide provider - if you click on the Guide Provider you can select which tuner(s) it can be assigned to if you uncheck Enable for all tuners.

tvg-id="" is the field that you need to fill in for guide data. You can add a channel-id="" to your m3u with your own channel number assigned - if that duplicates a Live TV channel in my experience you get both channels listed in the guide.

This is what I use:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I#####.json.schedulesdirect.org" channel-id="###" tvg-name="Some Name" tvg-logo="location of logo.png",Some Name

Replace the generic stuff with what you need

Can you tell me the zipcode(s) and lineup(s) selected you are using - I am trying to find lineups that have data for the channels I am going to be using. Thanks.

When I get home I will get that for you. I wrote a python script that parses my m3u from my provider and uses the schedules direct api to get the channel and lineup info. It goes through all the headends available until a match is found, then outputs that to a new m3u file.

That’s good to know about the tvg-id, that should help with the 2nd lineup in Emby overwriting the already found channel from the previous guide.

kanipek

Do you use multiple m3u files? I was hoping to pull it off with only one m3u file and multiple guide sources.

I don't see any reason you can't do it in one file.

I have mine broken down by the provider - so each m3u is only used by one provider.

I have 2 channels in one and 1 channel in the other.

That is how I do it, may change in the future. Just set it up a few days ago.

Everything worked as expected except for the channel numbers.  I am adding a channel number to 'channel-id' in the m3u file, but it is either not recognized or Emby is overwriting it.  For example I have a channel-id of '15'.  Emby displays 10178 CHANNEL NAME.  That is not the tvg-id either, my guess is that is coming from the guide provider.  Can that be fixed?  Using the custom channel-id instead of the provider channel number? 

kanipek

Can you provide an example from the m3u file for a channel that is having this problem?

kanipek

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-name="Chiller HD" tvg-id="55205" channel -id="87" tvg-logo="https://s14.postimg.org/cqqwdlg81/Ch iller_TV.png" group-title="United States","Chiller HD"

http://xxxx/live/xxx@xxxx/xxxx/40875.ts

One thing that I see is group title=  -- I know Emby doesn't support channel groups at this point, I don't know if it will just be ignored or may cause a problem -->@@Luke - can you clarify?

Question - the tvg-id field only contains a number - Is the provider set up for this SD or something pointing to/provided by your iptv provider? Trying to learn here on my end as well.

I am creating my own m3u from my providers' by filtering out the channels I don't want/watch.  I am using the Schedules Direct api to match the channels and using the stationID in their response as the tgv-id.  I thought that's how it was explained in the answer to my original question.  I thought you stated the tvg-id is what can be used to uniquely identify each channel so they aren't overwritten from each guide source. 

My provider does have their own epg file, but it is huge (over 5Mb) and has useless information for all the other channels I don't care about.  Also the Schedules Direct source has cleaner looking information with tv show images. 

kanipek

I am creating my own m3u from my providers' by filtering out the channels I don't want/watch.  I am using the Schedules Direct api to match the channels and using the stationID in their response as the tgv-id.  I thought that's how it was explained in the answer to my original question.  I thought you stated the tvg-id is what can be used to uniquely identify each channel so they aren't overwritten from each guide source. 

My provider does have their own epg file, but it is huge (over 5Mb) and has useless information for all the other channels I don't care about.  Also the Schedules Direct source has cleaner looking information with tv show images. 

Yes you understood correctly - as I understand it.

so you are getting good guide data by just using the number only (tvg-id="55205") versus what I use tvg-id="I#####.json.schedulesdirect.org" ? Like I said just trying to learn/clarify what works.

I get that same info from my provider but choose to not use it because not every channel has it.

The guide data is good. Only the channel number is wrong. It almost seems like the new number is part of the channel name returned and is covering my custom channel number. Custom is 1-3 digits long, current number displayed is 5 digits long. Not sure if that’s possible, but if so I could strip the first 5 characters easily.

• Like 1

kanipek

I get that same info from my provider but choose to not use it because not every channel has it.

The guide data is good. Only the channel number is wrong. It almost seems like the new number is part of the channel name returned and is covering my custom channel number. Custom is 1-3 digits long, current number displayed is 5 digits long. Not sure if that’s possible, but if so I could strip the first 5 characters easily.

Yeah I don't get where the issue is coming from - When I began testing m3u the first thing I did was setup an m3u file using a channel I streamed from my local HDHR, gave it the same number as it appears in Emby - 604 - and I got 2 604 channels listed in my guide wasn't overwritten at all. I don't know if it being locally streamed makes a difference or not. Hopefully someone with better knowledge will chime in and clarify.

I had channel numbers with my previous m3u file, but I also had the channel number in the tvg-id and the channel-id fields. That was a file from using tvhProxy and Plex at the time. Then I switched to Emby...

I read in another post to put the channel-id first in the m3u. That did not work. Then I went to map channels and noticed the incorrect channel numbers are in the channel name. I’m not sure where they are coming from though, when I use the api to get the channel name only the name is displayed. No additional numbers.

Just and FYI.  I changed the tvg-id to be the custom channel-id and now Emby displays the correct channel numbers.  It would seem the channel-id is not used (or at least in my case for some reason) and the match is done with the Channel name.  All appears to be good now.  Maybe this info can help you in the future.

kanipek

Can you show us a snippet of the m3u that is now working?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I spoke too soon. After extensive testing This just doesn’t work correctly. I either have to sacrifice channel numbers or manually map incorrect channels. Which is ridiculous because I am pulling the channel name from the same source as Emby. Some are correct and others aren’t. If I use the stationID from SD as the tvg-id in the m3u then all channels map correctly. But then I am stuck with 5 digit channel numbers.

This channel mapping needs some work. It wouldn’t be so bad to map them manually if there was more info than the station name listed. A channel number would be great (Plex uses this). Those are easily found online and then you have a reference point to match the correct channel. If there is an SD and HD version of the channel you have to scroll all the way down to find the correct one. Even a simple search function would be a step in the right direction.

What tag is it supposed to be then?  The only way I can get accurate data and not have to map any channels manually, is if I put the stationID from Schedules Direct in the tvg-id in the m3u.  It seems channel-id is ignored.

kanipek

I spoke too soon. After extensive testing This just doesn’t work correctly. I either have to sacrifice channel numbers or manually map incorrect channels. Which is ridiculous because I am pulling the channel name from the same source as Emby. Some are correct and others aren’t. If I use the stationID from SD as the tvg-id in the m3u then all channels map correctly. But then I am stuck with 5 digit channel numbers.

This channel mapping needs some work. It wouldn’t be so bad to map them manually if there was more info than the station name listed. A channel number would be great (Plex uses this). Those are easily found online and then you have a reference point to match the correct channel. If there is an SD and HD version of the channel you have to scroll all the way down to find the correct one. Even a simple search function would be a step in the right direction.

Try this in your m3u:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I55205.json.schedulesdirect.org" channel-id="87" tvg-name="Chiller HD" tvg-logo="https://s14.postimg.org/cqqwdlg81/Chiller_TV.png",Chiller HD

or

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="I55205.json.schedulesdirect.org" channel-id="087" tvg-name="Chiller HD" tvg-logo="https://s14.postimg.org/cqqwdlg81/Chiller_TV.png",Chiller HD

See if it makes a difference.

Edit: I changed this after I originally posted - missed a space in Chiller HD at the end

Edited by kanipek

• 3 years later...