Suddenly TMT won't open. Any idea why? (Not Emby)

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I routinely rip bluray discs I get to MKV files (using MakeMKV), but I always load the BluRay once in Arcsoft TMT once, so that I can sort out which ripped MKV file pertains to which episode on the disc. You know the drill... play a few seconds from the episode on disc, play a few seconds from the MKV, see if they match, then rename the file into proper SXXEYY format. Easy peasy.

Today, TMT 5.2.1.120 won't load. It stalls --forever, or at least 20 minutes-- on the following screen:

5a611b66ea45e_TMT.jpg

I haven't added new software to this PC in a LONG time (months) so I know it's not a new software installation. Windows 7 (64 bit) has of course taken updates, along with flash, java...

I know TMT is a defunct product, but not sure why it suddenly stopped running. I have tried several things:

Killing process, starting again.

Rebooting PC, no change. Stalls the same way.

Starting TMT with either a disc loaded, or no disc loaded.

Then I gave up and figured I'd google it but didn't find much. Apparently some known problems with Win10/TMT6, but I have Win7/TMT5

My only purpose is to line up TV series episodes with the MKV rips from the disc, which means loading the disc menu. Any other tool out there? Don't really want to buy PDVD if I can avoid it, based on the limited use I have.

Thanks!

PenkethBoy

vlc will load blu-rays - i use it to do the same check or findout what the "extras" are called

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

i normally use a backup folder rip (from MakeMKV) - using file > open folder and point it at the bdmv folder

it jumps into the main movie - i guess looking for longest movie on the "disk" - you can change the file being played from the playback menu

you can also use file > open disc - think i have used that before as well but cant remember if that gives you the menu's or not

give it a go its free - and maybe looking on their forum or cough read the manual (which i have not :) )

i normally use a backup folder rip (from MakeMKV) - using file > open folder and point it at the bdmv folder

it jumps into the main movie - i guess looking for longest movie on the "disk" - you can change the file being played from the playback menu

you can also use file > open disc - think i have used that before as well but cant remember if that gives you the menu's or not

give it a go its free - and maybe looking on their forum or cough read the manual (which i have not :) )

The problem is my use case is for deconvoluting episodes. So, for example, I get "Game of Thrones Season 5 Disc 2" or whatever. It may have four episodes, all about the same length. When I rip it, the four .mkv files will be in a more or less random order... never can tell by looking at output file names or rip order which is Episode 1, 2, 3 etc. until I compare the content of the MKV with the episode as selected from the Menu, where they are actually labeled.

vlc wont open a disc with encryption e.g any blu-ray movie etc - just tried

I have AnyDVDHD, so generally VLC can open my discs, but as far as I can tell can't show menus.

Not being able to run menus on either the latest VLC or the version of MPC-HC I have (maybe one edition back), I tried rolling back the latest security patch I installed through Windows Updates in early January. I believe it to be KB4056894 (security monthly quality rollup) thought I didn't write it down and I'm tired. Some chance it was actually KB4055532 instead (.NET stuff). Both show ready for me to install now; only one was there before.

THIS WORKED. TMT now loads just fine. Kind of a tough trade off...

Marc

• 1 month later...

Crap. TMT not loading again. I believe the February monthly quality rollup is likely the cause now. I had hoped it was a one time bug with the January one. Feb is KB4074598

I'll uninstall it and see what's up.

Hi Luke, thanks for the responses. I must not have made myself clear; sorry about that! ;)

Here's my process:

Use MakeMKV to rip content from bluray to MKV files. If there's just a single movie, then no problem, copy over to shared drive and Emby takes it from there metadata-wise.

In cases where there are multiple files, most notably multi-episode discs, I'll get multiple files, each representing an individual episode. But, which MKV file is which episode? So, I use TMT to play the bluray, a few seconds from the start of each episode, and compare that to the first few seconds of each MKV file. At that point I know which episode MKV is which, I retitle them accordingly, and copy them over to the Emby server.

I only use TMT to play a few seconds of each episode, and only on my desktop. After that, it's all Emyb. :)

Had the same problem and it happened after some update both TMT3 as well as TMT5 would not start no matter how often I uninstalled and reinstalled the programs. Googled it but could not find a solution. There are Blu-ray discs were I want menus and the constant suggestions of ripping them to MKVs is very tiring. I have the discs and I want the ripped folders on my server to play back. Not too much asked for is it. The question was how to get TMT5 working again. I know there is always the option to rip episodes but I hate to have folders for extras that I want to keep as well as the movie when all can be in a single folder instead of a collection. Also the TV episode determination is a PITA never mind the Gag reels and other extras that are informative and entertaining. (Downton Abbey, Suits and BBT come to mind)

So this is what I did. Since Arcsoft for a few years now has abandoned their products going forward you will run into difficulties over and over again. You have to ditch the TMT products and find a replacement. I tried the free Leawo Blu-ray player it does do menus but they can be a hit or miss. Then when PDVD changed from version 16 to 17 they offered for $35 the whole version 16 package and I went for it. So on my test machine I run PDVD 16 with lifetime AnyDVD and also run them on my HTPC. As long as both are not running at the same time that is legal. On the HTPC PDVD 16 is the external player that launches for BDMV folder rips.

If we will ever see menus in the many playback solutions is doubtful as that means circumventing the Blu-ray license authority. The hardware player solutions like Dune or Kodi on the Shield have written their own software to play back Blu-ray rips with menus they basically emulate it. So you are either stuck with ripping the media into MKV files or find a Blu-ray software player that has the Blu-ray discs associations blessing or spend a lot of time rearranging your library.

Edited by One2Go

If the Leewoo thing is hit or miss I won't mess with it.

Looks like it's Powerdvd for me, though just to align mkvs to actual episodes. My media playing is through Emby Theater.