Lyrics Plugin for Emby?

pcman772

skidmarks

Would be great to see lyrics (even just embedded) at this point...

There are many quick and painless ways one can go about embedding lyrics into their music files.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
skidmarks
6 hours ago, MAX92 said:

Interested in Lyrics whitch are in the mp3 first too

Logical first step.  If a lyrics provider can ever be found that doesn't want a huge subscription price the ground work would already be done. 

• 2 weeks later...
Diedrich

+1

I have a son who loves when we have a dance party, this would be great for him to not only dance to the music but also learn the lyrics.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, skidmarks said:

Logical first step.  If a lyrics provider can ever be found that doesn't want a huge subscription price the ground work would already be done. 

That's the kicker.  I know of subscription services that provide this info but they are expensive.

If anyone finds a free source of this info or knows of a tool that can be used to retrieve this data let us know.

Spaceboy
8 hours ago, cayars said:

That's the kicker.  I know of subscription services that provide this info but they are expensive.

If anyone finds a free source of this info or knows of a tool that can be used to retrieve this data let us know.

well from what i understand we are likely to have to subscribe to tvdb to get metadata from them in future so lets not rule things out because they might attract a cost. i'd be willing to subscribe to something to get this info

Agree Spaceboy.  But the question remains, does anyone know of any sites that have this info we can legally get at reasonable cost personal or company wise?
That's the first hurdle. :)

skidmarks

I've taken a little break from the forums...  i looked everywhere on the interwebs for a cheap (free) provider.  There isn't one.  Obviously i cant reach out to these people for pricing as i have no affiliation with emby, i have no idea what the subscription rate is here, or what the business model is.  What is cheap?

Bottom line is, again, the first step should be reading lyrics already embedded in music files.  That IS cheap!  And very simple for end users to add said lyrics.

I would also pay for this ability... 

Edited by skidmarks

For $10K I can get this done for you as I know a guy. :)

LOL, kidding aside can you PM me over a file or two with the lyrics already embedded?  I don't have any and would like to take a look at a couple of files.

Do you have any?

skidmarks

Im looking in my archive for the free bulk program i used...  keep in mind my archive goes back to DOS.  Yes i'm a hoarder.

I know I've seen one or two programs over the years that can do this but now that I'm looking for them...

pwhodges

I am amused that the download for the program which just searches for lyrics is ten times larger than that for the program which is also a full-featured tag editor, image finder, CD ripper, codec converter, etc.

Paul

7 hours ago, cayars said:

Anyone want to download and test these two programs to see if they could be any use to us?

Lyrics finder
https://www.mediahuman.com/lyrics-finder/

Mp3nity
http://www.littlelan.com/mp3nity/downloadpg.php

Since all song lyrics are copyrighted material I'm pretty sure no free source of them would be legal.  So, Emby obtaining the lyrics for you is probably out of our scope for right now.  However, it would be valid for us to read tags out of your media files and display that text somewhere.

• Like 2

Not a lawyer of course but I think this falls under fair use clause of copyright just as sheet music would be which usually also include the lyrics.  But if the lyrics are already part of the music as tags and we're already pushing for 100% tagging outside of Emby for music it's quite logical that the user is responsible for bringing the lyrics and Emby only display them.

pwhodges

NB: To the best of my knowledge even the copyright regimes that allow "reasonable use" fail to define it - so there is scope for legal arguments to arise, which can be very expensive.

In academic circles, figures like "no more than 5%" get bandied about for "fair use" - so 100% of the lyrics would be considered well outside the likely acceptable range.

Paul

• Like 1

Oh agreed for sure and why it's better for Emby to only display this info and not fetch it as ebr mentioned.

It seems very easy to add the lyrics with 3rd part utils and is quite fast as well. It's actually easier then tagging I think.  Anyone wanting lyrics could easily retrofit their music with lyrics outside of Emby and be good to go!

• Like 1

How do I enable the lyrics function? I have mp3 files with embedded lyrics but i don't see any button to show them and they don't show automatically.

pwhodges

There is no lyrics function in Emby. 

Cayars is saying that the above suggested third-party programs can quite easily add lyrics to the files (and that Emby should not undertake this because of copyright), and that it would be a good idea for Emby to be able to display lyrics if the files contain them - that would require development, though, and adding to the schedule of improvements already in progress.

Paul

• Like 1