Default Multiple Version Selection

otispresley

AmericanCrisis

After some thought, how about a feature request where the admin can "uncheck" whether a user has the ability to choose the version on the client side? At the moment, the client has the ability to choose whatever version they deem necessary. Simply disabling the user's ability to transcode would not work for me right now considering most of the media has not been converted yet. But for the files that have been converted, if the user does not have a version choice, then the server will deliver the direct play file without the user's input or the transcoded file if there isn't a better version available.

Multiversions has several issues in real world use.  I see this as well.

Here is my suggestion. The client and the server need to check both the client resolution, client bitrate and any server bitrate caps.

It then selects the best quality version for direct play or direct stream.

IF HOWEVER it can't direct play/stream it needs to go into phase 2 and use additional logic.

If the file it was going to use was a 4K version it IMMEDIATELY DISCARDS THIS VERSION and chooses the next best version.

This solves a few problems.

1) 4K movies transcoded are far more CPU intensive then 1080p or lower versions.

2) A 4K movie transcoded down to 1080p will almost always look worse then using the 1080p version

3) Any 4K video with UHD is not going to transcode down to SDR without killing the colors and washing out the picture.

Thus when there are multiple versions NEVER use 4K if transcoding.  If that means you need to drop down and use a 720p version then do so but never, ever use the 4K version for transcoding when multiple versions are available.

Along the same lines never auto choose a 3D version ever.  Any 3D version should always be manually selected.  If this file needs transcoding then use this specific file to transcode.

Do those few things will solve a lot of the current problems with multi-versions and will make it work how people think it should work I believe.

This already happens. It will choose the highest quality version that can direct play, taking into all app and server settings as part of the equation.

AmericanCrisis

This already happens. It will choose the highest quality version that can direct play, taking into all app and server settings as part of the equation.

That is great and all but can we get a feature to eliminate the "user" from being able to choose the version? Like a checkbox on the "user" page that we can toggle.

But that's not what the original request was about. Best to have a separate topic to ensure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
jaketame

That is great and all but can we get a feature to eliminate the "user" from being able to choose the version? Like a checkbox on the "user" page that we can toggle.

That sort of can be achieved...

When you have a Moves with 1080p + 4K seperate folders and then you can restrict under User > Access to only have access to 1080p.

AmericanCrisis

That sort of can be achieved...

When you have a Moves with 1080p + 4K seperate folders and then you can restrict under User > Access to only have access to 1080p.

Yes that is what I do. It is not ideal. I (the only server "user" who has access to the 4k folder) now see two separate movies in my library.

jaketame

Query on this;

Movies - 

I thought there was a 'Choose the best version for me'?

What i've seen: Is there is now a selection box and you have to select the version you want...

I selected the 4K version (remote) however it rate limited to 30Mbps (Setting was Auto) - I upped this to 80Mbps as internet is 70Mbps.

TV Shows

What i've seen: 'Choose the best version for me' - Works great

What would be great is 'Choose the best version for me' for Movies too.

App Option Preferences: Choose 4K version as default on 4K tele without having to select 2160p or choose best version

Query on this;

Movies - 

I thought there was a 'Choose the best version for me'?

What i've seen: Is there is now a selection box and you have to select the version you want...

I selected the 4K version (remote) however it rate limited to 30Mbps (Setting was Auto) - I upped this to 80Mbps as internet is 70Mbps.

TV Shows

What i've seen: 'Choose the best version for me' - Works great

What would be great is 'Choose the best version for me' for Movies too.

App Option Preferences: Choose 4K version as default on 4K tele without having to select 2160p or choose best version

The paradigm is changing to the selection box but the one that is selected when you enter the screen is the same one that would be chosen by the old "Choose the best version" logic.  So, just hitting play will be the same as that.

jaketame

The paradigm is changing to the selection box but the one that is selected when you enter the screen is the same one that would be chosen by the old "Choose the best version" logic.  So, just hitting play will be the same as that.

Ah ok, so its defaulting to the 1080p even know I know I can handle the 2160p... and opted to 80Mbps selection... Is there a way to force change the default ie a preference?

The same could be said for audio. I know TrueHD will transcode but there is an AC3 5.1 available, can it be a preference to select the 5.1

Edited by jaketame

• 1 month later...
Chuck_IV

Sorry but I'm not seeing this behavior anymore since the "Choose best version" option went away. I have Emby on an NVidia Shield(fed by a QNAP TS451+ server on version 4.0.2.0) connected to my 4K TV(Samsung KS8000). I have the max streaming bitrate set to 100mb/sec. In the past, when I chose "Choose Best Version", it would choose the 4K version automatically. However, since that option has disappeared, it now always plays the 1080p version unless I change the selection box to play the 4K version(neither is transcoded on my server).

Whats weird is the first in the list is the 4k version but when the dropdown opens, it has the 1080p version selected(bottom choice) and I have to move up.

Edited by Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV

It's consistent with the web app design, no?

If this pertains to me, I dunno. The only 4k capable device I have is my Samsung KS8000. My computer and screen can't handle 4K so the web interface will(and should) default to 1080p.

Chuck_IV

It thinks the 1080p version is the most efficient. There probably is some other factor preventing the 4K version from direct playing. Please try playing the 4K version from the Shield, then attach the ffmpeg log that is created for it. Thanks.

I can do that but all my 4k versions direct play just fine via Emby. If I manually choose the 4k version from the drop down, it direct plays perfectly(my server isn't powerful enough to transcode 4k).

It's just what it defaults to in the menus that is the issue.

• 5 weeks later...
pwhodges

There are two cases where the current logic struggles:

1) UHD 4k is autoselected as default even on a system on capable of playing 1080p HD

2) When it's not about quality but preference, like Theatrical vs Directors Cut. The video selector now does double-duty, offering multiple movie versions in addition to possibly different encodings.

As far as I can see, point 2 here has not been addressed at all in the rest of the thread, nor in the software.

In my case, I have a lot of videos in two versions (original vs director's cut, or subbed vs dubbed) and sometimes even three.  None of them are the same original in different encodings, and in any case transcoding is not an issue for me.  It would be nice to be able to select to disable the quality selection logic, so that then the default was just the first option alphabetically (I don't mind putting a number at the front of the selection string to order them).

• Like 1

I can do that but all my 4k versions direct play just fine via Emby. If I manually choose the 4k version from the drop down, it direct plays perfectly(my server isn't powerful enough to transcode 4k).

It's just what it defaults to in the menus that is the issue.

This should be improved for the next release of the server, thanks.

• 7 months later...
lurkon01

I was just wondering if this been implemented?  

As I also have 4K version which are perfect for direct play but not for transcoding.

I would much rather set the 1080p version as default so other, users don't just click play on their devices and max out the servers CPU.

Thanks

• Like 1

I was just wondering if this been implemented?  

As I also have 4K version which are perfect for direct play but not for transcoding.

I would much rather set the 1080p version as default so other, users don't just click play on their devices and max out the servers CPU.

Thanks

If you were to configure the max streaming bitrate for the user, and/or transcoding permissions for the user (which we don't recommend but FYI)...then this would end up affecting which version is selected.

lurkon01

If you were to configure the max streaming bitrate for the user, and/or transcoding permissions for the user (which we don't recommend but FYI)...then this would end up affecting which version is selected.

This sounds like a good solution, as this is what i've done on my own devices but not as a user setting.

Just to clarify your talking about the "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" option under the users profile section? 

This sounds like a good solution, as this is what i've done on my own devices but not as a user setting.

Just to clarify your talking about the "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" option under the users profile section? 

Yes exactly.

rbjtech

Alternatively, tag the 4K videos and simply add 'Block Items with these tags' on the per user settings under 'Parental Controls'.

That way - they don't even get to see that there is a 4K version, yet alone attempt to play it  ;)

Auto tagging has been requested based on resolution, but for the moment this is a manual tag set - but given the number of 4K videos I have, this is currently not a big deal for me.

5dd815dba18b4_4ktag.png

Edited by rbjtech

jaketame

Alternatively, tag the 4K videos and simply add 'Block Items with these tags' on the per user settings under 'Parental Controls'.

That way - they don't even get to see that there is a 4K version, yet alone attempt to play it  ;)

Auto tagging has been requested based on resolution, but for the moment this is a manual tag set - but given the number of 4K videos I have, this is currently not a big deal for me.

There's actually an easier way than that.

Split 4K and 1080p into separate folders.

So /movies/4k/ and /movies/1080p

With access controls you can blocked access to the 4K content completely without having to do tags etc..