Default Multiple Version Selection

otispresley

rbjtech

There's actually an easier way than that.

Split 4K and 1080p into separate folders.

So /movies/4k/ and /movies/1080p

With access controls you can blocked access to the 4K content completely without having to do tags etc..

Thanks - I tried this but now getting two copies of the movie listed - tried a re-scan and same result.

I want to keep the multi-version aspect, but restrict access to one of those 'versions' by user.

I'll keep investigating this as having it by folder would be much easier I agree but I don't want to see 2 versions of the same film if I have access to both versions ..

runtimesandbox

If you were to configure the max streaming bitrate for the user, and/or transcoding permissions for the user (which we don't recommend but FYI)...then this would end up affecting which version is selected.

Hi Luke,

Does this not apply for the global "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" setting?

I have Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): set to 2

I have films stored in a movie folder like this :

films/avatar

When a user goes to Avatar it will default to the 4k version with the drop down to chose 1080p

I don't want to have to set this on a per user basis

runtimesandbox

Yep I realise that. I almost exclusively use emby remotely as it's hosted elsewhere.

Web app seems to work fine from testing.

Android app defaults to 4k but Web app on same device defaults to 1080p.

Will check firestick when I get a chance

Edited by runtimesandbox

Check the client ip addresses displayed on the server dashboard. The server needs to be able to see the correct addresses to be able to determine if an app is in or out of network.

ShoutingMan

I have a feature request: I'll ask about it here in case it's already a know / planned feature before adding to the "request" forum.

I'd love to have the UI that multiple versions uses for audio and subtitles for single-version content too. It's so much nicer and better to select audio track and subtitle options before playing the movie, than to start playback, pause, go find the controls and choose the right options, then resume. 

The multiple version primary interface is done right. I'd like to have that be universal and not solely for multiple-versions! :)

I'd love to have the UI that multiple versions uses for audio and subtitles for single-version content too.

This is already there.

ShoutingMan

This is already there.

Right. I was just checking the web interface and it's there. 

But I'm positive it was not there when I was using the Emby client for the Nvidia Shield. I'll have to check that my Shield is updated, and double-check the movie(s) i was watching, in case I was missing it.  :huh:

runtimesandbox

Check the client ip addresses displayed on the server dashboard. The server needs to be able to see the correct addresses to be able to determine if an app is in or out of network.

So i can't actually see the IP address as it doesn't show in my dashboard. I get no Activity saying "Android has logged in". (I do get activity showing what is playing but this does not contain the IP). 

When i do it from the web browser on the phone I do get the Login Activity showing up and it shows the external IP. Playing the film from the phone browser chooses the correct quality. 

runtimesandbox

The android app incorrectly defaulting to the 4k version. The app is connecting and the dashboard shows the external IP address.

Works fine on chrome browser on the phone but not from the Android app

The android app incorrectly defaulting to the 4k version. The app is connecting and the dashboard shows the external IP address.

Works fine on chrome browser on the phone but not from the Android app

Are you inside or outside your local network?

runtimesandbox

Yep I realise that. I almost exclusively use emby remotely as it's hosted elsewhere.

Web app seems to work fine from testing.

Android app defaults to 4k but Web app on same device defaults to 1080p.

Will check firestick when I get a chance

Always external ie outside

Edited by runtimesandbox

Try lowering the in-app quality setting in the android app. That will affect the version that is chosen.

runtimesandbox

Try lowering the in-app quality setting in the android app. That will affect the version that is chosen.

Yes I can do that, and I can choose the other version from the version drop down, but is there a way for it to default properly like it does elsewhere? My non technical users don't always do this and its brings the server to a halt  

The default is correct based on the quality setting of the app. Perhaps the automatic quality setting is just a little too high. That is something we're constantly looking at improving.

• 4 weeks later...

Does Emby's selection algorithm take into consideration that a HEVC encoded video may have a lower bit rate and smaller file size than the same title encoded with h264, but be of higher visual quality than the h264 video?

Does Emby's selection algorithm take into consideration that a HEVC encoded video may have a lower bit rate and smaller file size than the same title encoded with h264, but be of higher visual quality than the h264 video?

Hi.  The "Quality" setting is for determining the amount of data that can be passed with the current bandwidth available so the bitrate/size is what matters in that calculation.

• 4 weeks later...

I think some options would be handy to apply at a library level, possibly even different options for when inside or outside of the network.

For example my Samsung tv does not support DTS so it always defaults to 1080p (assuming the file only has DTS audio). I have no issues with it transcoding the audio as it is not resouce heavy and would like the default to be play the 4K film despite the fact you need to transcode the audio.......But obviously would not want this when outside the home network.

Reading through the thread its clear there are so many use cases you are unlikely to get an automatic method that will please everyone, therefore some additional option choices may be the way forward?

• Like 1