Default Multiple Version Selection

otispresley

jaketame

We already auto-select the most appropriate version.

That’s true for direct playing but when having merged movies between 4K / 1080p and then a user transcoded said movie it will transcode the 4K copy but this is not necessary as user can’t run 4K and converting the 1080p would be perfectly acceptable.

Thanks

ShoutingMan

We already auto-select the most appropriate version.

There are two cases where the current logic struggles:

1) UHD 4k is autoselected as default even on a system on capable of playing 1080p HD

2) When it's not about quality but preference, like Theatrical vs Directors Cut. The video selector now does double-duty, offering multiple movie versions in addition to possibly different encodings.

1) UHD 4k is autoselected as default even on a system on capable of playing 1080p HD

If you're referring to the web app, it will have no way of knowing that. Many other apps will be able to determine that though.

• 2 months later...
runtimesandbox

To add to this, using the Web app externally with the "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" limit set to the 2mbs, Emby is choosing the 4k version over the 1080p version.

Can we get a setting to globally set a version preference or default to a 1080p? 

As stated previously in this thread, if the user does not select the non 4k version the server will attempt to transcode the film and fail

Just for clarification, transcoding the 4k version is probably not optimal but it won't necessarily fail in all environments.

Thanks.

runtimesandbox

I realise its very file format dependant and yes, some will probably transcode okay. But most people who have 4k files are likely doing it to get the highest quality possible (such as 4K, H265, HDR10) which are highly unlike to be able to be transcoded.

• 3 weeks later...
AmericanCrisis

I realize this "multiple versions" is a hot topic and a very difficult thing for developers to perfect. With that said, almost always my clients end up choosing the wrong version - which ultimately causes the server to transcode. So my thought was the rebuild my library with two folders. One folder would have the non re-encoded media file (full rip mkv blu ray for example) and then the other folder would have the heavily re-encoded 1080p AAC H264 file (shooting for a target total bitrate of less than 5mbps).

The full rip media file would only be available to users in the local network (basically just me and kids) and then the other media file would only be available for other clients (they wouldn't even see the full rip folder as an option). So, is this possible? How would movie collections be handled? How would I make movie collections work for these independent folders?

legallink

I find multiple versions difficult as well. It’s always selecting the lowest common denominator. Aka if I’ve got a low res 480p file, a 1080p mp4 file, and a blue ray rip mov, for downloading it always selects the blue ray file and for playing it will almost always select the 480p file.

I think it would make the most sense that for playing, it would select the highest available that doesn’t transcode, when local, and the lowest res when remote and the lowest available for download/sync. But sync/download file selection I can see that being completely use case dependent. However, currently you can’t select which file it syncs/downloads.

The algorithm is that it picks the highest quality one that will direct play or direct stream. If none will, then it picks the one with the bitrate closest to the quality setting of the app you're playing from.

AmericanCrisis

The algorithm is that it picks the highest quality one that will direct play or direct stream. If none will, then it picks the one with the bitrate closest to the quality setting of the app you're playing from.

Is this true only for the "Emby" apps? Kodi makes me manually pick each time. 

AmericanCrisis

So I was at a friend's home (client side) today and noticed their Fire TV stick (I personally do not own one) prompts the following: "choose the best option for me" "1080p" and "720p". So, my friend using their logic stated "well I have a 1080p TV so we should pick that option". Which would cause my server to transcode because that option is the full .mkv rip. I have the 720p .mp4 file so the server can direct play/stream. My client's logic and though process isn't flawed... I just realize I'm adding more confusion to the mix by allowing them an option to choose.

This leads me to think I ought to have two separate libraries for the content. One library with the full 1080p/2160p .mkv rips - only accessible to local clients. Then the other with a re-encoded 1080p/AC3/AAC .mp4 files (shoot for 3.5mpbs) so that the client isn't offered a choice and will mostly likely direct stream. Thoughts anyone?

AmericanCrisis

That's also an option if you want to go that route.

Ok... I may. It sounds cumbersome. Especially making additional folders. I wonder how "collections" will cooperate with multiple libraries with the same content. Perhaps if I exclude one of the media libraries from each user then the collections view won't aggregate from both media libraries?

ShoutingMan

Ah! So that is probably why it defaults to the UHD 4K version rather than the HD version as default for my system. My quirk is that I don't yet have a 4K display, but I've started buying some 4K content. So I have to toggle to the HD version to get good playback.

legallink

Ok... I may. It sounds cumbersome. Especially making additional folders. I wonder how "collections" will cooperate with multiple libraries with the same content. Perhaps if I exclude one of the media libraries from each user then the collections view won't aggregate from both media libraries?

Why don’t you just disable transcoding on the user?

AmericanCrisis

Why don’t you just disable transcoding on the user?

Yes that is an option. I still have a lot left to convert though.

runtimesandbox

So what happens if the bit rate is set to "Auto" in the app playing it? This sounds like it would then attempt to play the 4k version (which is what I am seeing)

So what happens if the bit rate is set to "Auto" in the app playing it? This sounds like it would then attempt to play the 4k version (which is what I am seeing)

That depends on the network condition.  If on the same network as the server, auto will translate into a fairly high bitrate (80Mb+).  But, if remote, then it will depend on the tested connection bitrate.

runtimesandbox

Yes my problem here is on the local network (hard wired connection). I have some files that are 4k HDR 10 bit which some devices can't play natively. Emby will attempt to transcode this file which kills the server. To over come this I have both a 4k version and a 1080p version of these files however it will still default to the 4k version and some users aren't aware you need to change the resolution before pressing play (keeping it simple is always better imo)

As was the original intention with this feature request, it would be good to get the option to set a "default" resolution to play if direct play isn't possible but the device is local on the network. This is the only test case here that emby doesn't seem to cover

Edited by spudd

otispresley

As was the original intention with this feature request, it would be good to get the option to set a "default" resolution to play if direct play isn't possible but the device is local on the network. This is the only test case here that emby doesn't seem to cover

When there are multiple resolutions, Emby is supposed select the file that is closest to what the device can handle and then only transcode if needed due to player capability/playback performance.

Edited by otispresley

Dibbes

Yes we already do this.

Unfortunately it's fairly simple to confuse the server by having a normal 1080p and an HTAB 1080p version in the folder. If the HTAB happens to be the first in the list, this will played per default.

The server doesn't get confused about it, rather it picks based on what can and can't direct play.