Default Multiple Version Selection

otispresley

otispresley

It is really cool that Emby has the ability to support multiple versions of the same movie. It would be nice to have a setting on the client side to allow the user to set which version should be selected by default. This could be as simple a user-entered string, or it could be a list of detected strings to choose from. It could allow multiple entries and it would choose them in the order entered.

On the Kodi side, it would also be nice to get the "Choose the Best Version for Me" option that the Emby app has.

• Like 30

Hi.  The default is always chosen based on the capabilities of the app/device playing it at the time (generally to avoid transcoding when possible).

otispresley

Hi.  The default is always chosen based on the capabilities of the app/device playing it at the time (generally to avoid transcoding when possible).

But what about when they are the same and one is "Extended Version", "Directors Cut", "Theatrical Version", etc?

Edited by otispresley

But what about when they are the same and one is "Extended Version", "Directors Cut", "Theatrical Version", etc?

Then it will choose the first one.

I understand your dilemma in this case as we are using the same mechanism for two different things here.

Perhaps there should be a way to mark one as the "main" feature at least.

• Like 1

Yea I think we should have an indication of the main feature, and when multiple titles are found to be direct playable then we can use the main feature as the deciding factor.

• Like 3

Dibbes

Yea I think we should have an indication of the main feature, and when multiple titles are found to be direct playable then we can use the main feature as the deciding factor.

or make it optional that you get a popup. For me that would be the best option, as I use this for movies that are voiced over in various languages. My in-laws don´t speak/understand anything else than Spanish, my own parents (and myself) can´t stand voiced-over movies, so what I have now is:

Movie Name (Year) - 1080p (Language 1) (Version1).ext

Movie Name (Year) - 1080p (Language 1) (Version2).ext

Movie Name (Year) - 1080p (Language 2) (Version1).ext

Movie Name (Year) - 1080p (Language 3) (Version1).ext

Movie Name (Year) - 1080p (Language 3) (Version2).ext

Yes, I know I could combine versions with different languages, but that is a job I currently just don´t have the time for :)

• 4 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

Then it will choose the first one.

I understand your dilemma in this case as we are using the same mechanism for two different things here.

Perhaps there should be a way to mark one as the "main" feature at least.

How is “first one” determined? I can’t figure out which one is the default. It seems like it goes by reverse alphabetical.

For example:

I added

Movie (YYYY) - HD.mkv

And scanned library.

Then I added into that folder:

Movie (YYYY) - UHD.mkv

The default is the UHD option. Even though it was added second and is second alphabetically too.

Thanks for any insight into how the default selection is picked. :)

Edited by ShoutingMan

• 1 month later...
Menissalt

Seconding this. I would like to set 1080 to default so users have to select 4k. Currently they are playing the 4k file when they want 1080 or 720 because they forget about the drop down.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
sparkplug188

Luke- I'm in the same situation as Menissalt.  Is there anything I can do to make the 4k version appear less efficient than the 1080p version of the same movie?  --perhaps using a certain file naming scheme or manually re-encoding the files to be less efficient.  I'm open to any ideas.

This is my file structure currently:

/Movies/Black Panther/Black Panther [2160p].mkv

/Movies/Black Panther/Black Panther [1080p].mkv

Luke- I'm in the same situation as Menissalt.  Is there anything I can do to make the 4k version appear less efficient than the 1080p version of the same movie?  --perhaps using a certain file naming scheme or manually re-encoding the files to be less efficient.  I'm open to any ideas.

This is my file structure currently:

/Movies/Black Panther/Black Panther [2160p].mkv

/Movies/Black Panther/Black Panther [1080p].mkv

What app are you playing with?

jaketame

Believe this is similar to the transcoding of 4K instead of 1080p if both are available.

• Like 1

sparkplug188

Luke- I am using the web interface in Chrome.  jaketame- That is correct.  The version drop down menu allows users to choose which source file to transcode from.  Emby always puts the 4k version as the top option.  Most of my users ignore the version drop down menu, press play, then drop the quality down to 720p.  This causes my server to tie up most of its disk IO and CPU resources needlessly transcoding the 4k version instead of the 1080p version.

I would like to influence Emby to put the 1080p version as the top option.  The 1080p file should be the preferred default source and the 4k file should be a secondary option that the user can manually choose when desired.

• Like 1

ShoutingMan

That’s the behavior in Emby Theater on Win10 capable of only 1080p: the default selection is always the 4K file, regardless of the file names or the order af addition to the Emby library.

• Like 1

otispresley

I too see this same behavior. Emby should automatically choose the file that most closely matches the device capabilities and then decide whether transcoding is needed. When there are multiple versions though, it always chooses UHD because it is always listed first.

There should also still be a setting to allow server administrators to influence what version to display to users by default though, because it may not be multiple versions with different resolutions; it could be anything really.

• Like 1

You will need to configure your in-app quality setting. If you leave it on Auto, then on the local network that generally means max quality.

The value you choose will affect which version is selected by default.

Menissalt

Then it should switch to the most appropriate source available after determining the quality it will play at

Edited by Menissalt

sparkplug188

Luke- That definitely is not what I am seeing.  Here are the results from some of my testing:

Emby Android App

Home network quality preference: 1080p - 10 Mbps

Top option in version menu when connected via LAN: [2160p]

Internet quality preference: 720p - 4 Mbps

Top option in version when connected via mobile data: [2160p]

Emby Web Interface in Chrome on Android

(These are the default settings, which most of my users haven't changed)

Home network quality preference: Auto

Top option in version menu when connected via LAN: [2160p]

Internet quality preference: Auto

Top option in version menu when connected via mobile data: [2160p]

Emby Web Interface in Chrome on Windows 7

Internet quality preference: Auto

Top option in version menu when connected via remote internet connection: [2160p]

Internet quality preference: 1080p - 10 Mbps

Top option in version menu when connected via remote internet connection [2160p]

As you can see, Emby always puts the 4k version at the top of the version select menu.  My feature request is the option for the server admin to select the default version that will appear at the top of the version select menu.  In my (possibly uninformed) opinion, there is no need for Emby to attempt to automatically choose the source file. Whether the choice is [2160p] vs [1080p] or Theatrical vs Extended, the default version selection should be in the hands of the server administrator.

I sincerely hope this doesn't sound like negative criticism.  I have great respect for you and the work you have done on Emby both as a developer and a community leader.  Thank you.

• Like 2

Some of the apps will need updates, but the web app has the latest features and does everything I've indicated.

sparkplug188

Well, I guess that settles it.  However, I strongly encourage you to carefully reread my latest post.

otispresley

Some of the apps will need updates, but the web app has the latest features and does everything I've indicated.

Hi @@Luke, I just tested this in Chrome on my Windows 10 PC with Server 3.4.1.0 running on Ubuntu 18.04 with both home network and chromecast streaming settings at 1080p - 10 Mbps. Not only did it display UHD as the default file, but the transcoding log also shows that it was transcoding the UHD file when I played it as-is.

So the default version did not change because of my max bitrate setting and so it transcoded using the default selection (UHD). Is there a setting I am missing?

EDIT: Upon further investigation, this seems to work for some movies but not for others:

• Saving Private Ryan - Does not work
  • Arrival - Works
  • Hickock - Does not work
Edited by otispresley
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...