Invocation name - Feedback

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

No, I don't understand why you need to retrain Alexa constantly. I never had to and I have disabled the skill many times.

I've asked about that as well so we'll see what the Alexa support team says.

There's no in between. Alexa handles everything about the skill trigger. I've personally posted a FR to allow users to overwrite the invocation words of skills. I think that would be the best approach, leaving it to the users but no dice so far. They move at a snails pace about everything.

This issue plagues all skills that have unique names.

Not to hit Alexa when she's down but once the Google Home skill is finished, maybe you should give it a try... Google home has far superior voice recognition. And at least, Google Home allows me to change the skill word at any time. Anyway, working like mad to get it finished. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

- but I don't get the mumble bit - its just made up word that you say to Alexa, Just like Emby is a made up word you say to Alexa. It might improve things it might not.

It is made up from Alexa's point of view, but not ours.  "memby" sounds like a mumble of our real name.

mastrmind11

I've had the same trouble.  I can name my own devices with my home automation software. I've found more syllables work better.  Like for my downstairs heat, I called it downstairs heater, it seems to work better than downstairs heat.  I think the invocation of "media browser" would probably be very easily detected, plus that's how the whole Emby name came about anyway, if I'm not mistaken... so it kinda pays homage.

Yeah I like Media Browser.  Right now, she keeps thinking I'm saying "m. b." and apologizes.

• Like 1

Swynol

No, I don't understand why you need to retrain Alexa constantly. I never had to and I have disabled the skill many times.

I've asked about that as well so we'll see what the Alexa support team says.

There's no in between. Alexa handles everything about the skill trigger. I've personally posted a FR to allow users to overwrite the invocation words of skills. I think that would be the best approach, leaving it to the users but no dice so far. They move at a snails pace about everything.

This issue plagues all skills that have unique names.

Not to hit Alexa when she's down but once the Google Home skill is finished, maybe you should give it a try... Google home has far superior voice recognition. And at least, Google Home allows me to change the skill word at any time. Anyway, working like mad to get it finished. :)

i've disabled, removed and reinstalled emby skill multiple times. never had to retrain her. I had alot of issues at the start with her starting the NBA skill but since the skill now supports English UK i cant remember any time that it hasnt picked up my invocation word incorrectly. i often use Alexa, ask emby to play ..... 

The only way i can see you being able to pick your own invocation name, is by installing the app yourself on the AWS so your running your own instance. I've done this with other skills but it is a right ball acke to do and to keep up to date. 

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I got a reply to my post. Not very helpful.

Invocation name can't changed in a skill once it's published. 

bernado99

I got a reply to my post. Not very helpful.

Unfortunately I think this is inevitable for a device with it's own commercial interests to protect (Amazon's own streaming services), so not a lot anyone can do about this sadly.

I had continuing difficulties getting Alexa to recognise 'Emby' and after an hour of continued input with mostly negative feedback to unsuccesful responses, I have now given this up as a lost cause.

To be fair it was always going to be a bit of a gimmick when I can Chromecast stuff directly from the Emby app quicker than I could issue spoken commands anyway, but it is a bit of a shame as that is what persuaded me to get a Premium subscription.

Tharnax

If two words are allowed I too would go with "Media Browser" as the invocation word(s).  Criteria was "it should be something simple, everyone can easily remember, one or two words and that won't clash with other skills of the same type."  I would doubt that another skill has gone with the same name.  

Is it possible to release the same essential skill under two separate names?  EMBY and Media Browser?  Yes, for the newbie that might be confusing however it would nice to have options and if someone by default installs the "EMBY" Skill and comes to the community with challenges with Alexa understanding EMBY, they could be directed to install the Media Browser skill which is essentially the same just different invocation word.  

BTW, I'm very new to using Alexa as it was only recently made available in Canada so I likely have know idea what I'm talking about.   I also purchased a Google Home so I look forward to trying it out when it's ready as well but that's for another thread. :)