Quick shortcut: scan library?

mirkwood
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

mirkwood

Hi folks --> is there a quick way to refresh/scan the library? Basically, 1) add a file to the library; 2) refresh library.

This seems like such a basic thing I must be missing something haha?

(I see the refresh job and it's set to 12 hours, which is fine - I'm just curious if there's a manual way quicker than digging through the settings menu).

Happy2Play

What OS?  Do you have Real Time Monitoring enabled?

You can right click a Library on Home Screen and select Refresh and use the drop down to select Scan for new and updated files.

• Solution
Happy2Play

You shouldn't need to do anything if you have Real time monitoring enabled.  Dashboard-Library-Click on each library "Enable real time monitoring".

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
EbbandFlow

Interesting.... I double-checked and have "Enable real time monitoring" checked on for my one and only library - however, I am not seeing these small updates occur.  What's the best method to verify that these updates are really occurring?  Thanks

Just test it in the UI. Not all file systems are supported by the real-time monitor though, so please discuss an example. Thanks.

EbbandFlow

Ok, the results in the UI are unsatisfactory and do not reflect any changes to the library.  

This is hosted on a TerraMaster TOS NAS (F4-220) utilizing RAID 5.

Ok, the results in the UI are unsatisfactory and do not reflect any changes to the library.  

This is hosted on a TerraMaster TOS NAS (F4-220) utilizing RAID 5.

@@EbbandFlow

We use the file system watcher of the .NET Core runtime, and that internally on linux uses INotify. So wherever your media is stored, that has to be something that INotify supports.

EbbandFlow

Again, my media is stored on hard drives in a RAID 5 configuration on the TerraMaster NAS (F4-220).  Does INotify support that?  

EbbandFlow

I'm not sure what additional detail you are looking for here.

- I add a new album, artist, playlist, etc. to my media library (which has "Enable real time monitoring" selected)
- I wait half a day
- I look at the library via the Emby web app and none of the changes are reflected in Artists, Albums, Playlists

Happy2Play

A Server log to see Librarymonitor actions.  Items are appearing after a scheduled task library scan, correct?

EbbandFlow

>Please create a topic in the community.

- this IS a topic in the community, I hope it will suffice

>
Describe the problem in your own words, including what you're trying to accomplish, and where you're getting stuck. Please mention some specific examples.

- I add a new album, artist, playlist, etc. to my media library (which has "Enable real time monitoring" selected)
- I wait half a day
- I look at the library via the Emby web app and none of the changes are reflected in Artists, Albums, Playlists

>In your description, be very specific about the steps you took and what happened with the system.  Describe it like you are talking to a blind person - because you are. We cannot see what you did or what happened so be as specific as possible.

If my afore-mentioned description doesn't express the steps taken and what happened, please advise

>
If you saw error messages, please tell us what they were. 

I did not see error messages

>I
f the problem is difficult to explain, please include screenshots that demonstrate the issue.

I do not feel the problem is difficult to explain - however, re-replying with all of the information requested is a bit tedious, in my opinion

>
Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred.

I attached server logs earlier today in the TerraMaster NAS subject of this community and it was never addressed so I assumed it wouldn't do any good here either.  I will go ahead and attach more server logs here.

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63713847795.txt

embyserver-63713847695.txt

hardware_detection-63713838379.txt

EbbandFlow

A Server log to see Librarymonitor actions.  Items are appearing after a scheduled task library scan, correct?

A scheduled task library scan takes over an hour so I have not tested that functionality since this afternoon when adding these items to the file structure.  Running the hour+ long library scan sort of defeated the purpose of testing the real-time monitoring...   ;) 

I can try one tonight to verify that end

Looking at the largest log file, it had a library scan running throughout most of the time that log file covered. Currently Emby stops the realtime monitor while a scan is running. This is something we can improve in future updates though.