Live TV has stopped

rikiwi

We're going to stop probing next pvr streams because everytime i try to do that to improve playback it just causes problems.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for all you efforts with this problem, I really appreciate your great work.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the implications by not probing NextPVR? Is that to do with runing the ffprobe.exe?

I know I should just order an HD Homerun tuner, but they're still expensive here in New Zealand.

Hi folks,

Live TV will not play properly. Choosing a channel to play results in about 2-5 seconds of playback, whether it be direct play through ET/MPV, Android or transcoded through the WebUI in Chrome etc.

Strangely tho, it plays mpeg2 streams fine on my 2017 Shield in both Direct Play and Transcode modes, but H264 streams will only play in Transcode Mode. (Android TV: 1.5.32g, Shield software v6.3)

Server and transcode Logs attached:

Server: 3.2.70.7beta (windows10pro v1709, Chrome Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit))

NextPVR: app v4.0.4, Plugin v3.1.8.0

ET: 2.9.6 (Windows 10pro v1709)

Android: 2.9.82 (Huawei Mate 9 - Android 7.0.1)

thanks

server-63653160212.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-7a140840-d75d-4a54-810c-ff1eb04f3161.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-24a4ac78-aac6-4512-a162-1487676069d4.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-dc5bb2fe-a8ae-4463-9f7d-a28ad56ecf74.txt

arrbee99

Seems to be all good for me on Chrome / ET and 70.8 so far, touch wood, fingers crossed, with a following wind

I've been testing Live TV for a couple of hours, Below are my findings;

All channels are playing perfectly in ET: DirectPlay (Auto). loading in 5 seconds (almost as fast as using NextPVR) This is fantastic.

When using the WebApp (windows 10) audio is there but no video (black screen) Note: This only happened after I updated Crome to latest version - Version 64.0.3282.140 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Android: Samsung S8 phone.

When set to Auto (DirectPlay) and using my Mobile Data all channels played perfectly.

When set to Auto (DirectPlay) and using Wifi all channes lplayed, except the first 3 in my list (and I only have 3) - 

These 3 channels consitently did not start streaming and caused the phone to lockup, necessitating re-booting.

But after reducing the Video Quality (Home network) to 1080p - 15Mbps, all channels play perfectly, and load in about 10 seconds -Great.

Let me know if you need any logs.

Notes:

Server - Version 3.2.70.9 beta

Android App - 2.9.83

Next PVR Plugin - Next Pvr 3.2.1.0

Edited by rikiwi

OK, testing so far...

All apps, plugins have updated.

ET works fine over 5g WiFi

Android app (Huawei Mate9) works fine when transcoding over 4g @3.5Mbps

Android app over 5g WiFi (same WiFi and positioning as ET test), is very hit and miss.

on Auto detect, mpeg2 channels will not play at all - black screen or still frame, H264 channels will sometimes play (Direct play), sometimes not - black screen or still frame.

on 1080p 20Mbps (TV Stream rate) nothing plays - black screen or still frame

on 1080p 15mbps everything transcodes and plays fine.

server-63653249398.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-c4228f3e-663e-4ad9-b595-e6fa2a3fa2a8.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-d32677d2-c9fb-4b2e-9642-2571c92fac9c.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-7dad751b-53c6-47b3-879d-99f715419eaf.txt

What refresh rate have you got set?

I had this recently, with ET on windows, when my tv had somehow got stuck on 50hz... live tv would pause after a few seconds and then after 10-20 seconds more it would go back to the menu...

Switching to 60hz solved it for me!

Edited by markyp

@@markyp, It's the android app on my phone that is having trouble playing. no idea what the refresh rate is.

@@Luke, just updated both server (3.2.70.10beta) and NextPVR plugin (3.2.3.0).

Direct Playback in the android app is now possible on all channels using the Auto setting :). However, it takes between 1 and 2 MINUTES, to commence. During that time, watching the Device tile in the Server settings page, it begins to count up the playback ticks in this manner - 00:00 > 00:04, reset to 00:00, then 00:00 > 00:08, reset to 00:00, then 00:00 > 00:18, then reset to 00:00 and repeat 00:00 > 00:18 over and over until playback starts on the phone, then it changes to whatever elapsed time has accrued since starting the channel on the phone eg 1:10:00 after which playback continues properly.

Transcoding still works fine.

Getting there!

server log attached

server-63653350861.txt

Update:

New Android app installed today (2.9.84). Unfortunately, no change in TV playback - still 1-2mins before it starts. :(

Update:

New Android app installed today (2.9.84). Unfortunately, no change in TV playback - still 1-2mins before it starts. :(

Yup same here. So I've set my playback quality to 1089p - 15 Mbps and channels loading in 10 secs. I it's transcoding, but at least it's working.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Another update:

Android app updated to 2.9.85 today test results as follows:

I tested every channel in the list - 15 in all.

process:

Restart Emby Server (3.2.70.10beta)  NOTE: I had the Android app playing a TV channel whilst the server restart occurred and playback did not miss a beat, therefore I can conclude/confirm that "Direct Play" (on Auto) really means direct from the Tuner :)

Channel ##   Elapsed time from selecting program from the Guide Time to playback start by stopwatch (m:ss)

7two              0:22

7Mate            1:39

7HD               1:48

7flix                2:16

SBS HD         1:43

SBS Viceland 1:18

9 HD               1:21

9 GO!              1:39

9 Gem             1:43

TEN HD          0:30

ONE                0:53**

ELEVEN          1:31

ABC 2/Kids      1:23**

ABC Me           1:01

ABC HD           1:41

Note: ** indicates a failure to playback on the 1st try (waited at least 4:00 before trying again), both started playback on the 2nd try

Other notes of interest:

• There is a delay of 0:05 between selecting the program in the guide and the Active Device tile in the server dashboard displaying the channel selected. I assume that this is the delay whilst the tuner changes channels.The elapsed time includes this delay.
  • The times vary for each channel every time they are selected
  • Every channel Direct Plays @ 20mbps / mpegts

Comments:

Every channel plays directly. It seems to me that the delay is caused by the server/Android app running tests to see if Direct Play is possible.

How about setting things up so that once the server/app confirms that a channel can be Direct Played, it remembers that and then next time that channel is selected it just lets it happen without running all the tests. This would cut down playback start times to 0:05 for every channel. If for any reason playback does not occur correctly then re-initiate the tests to determine if the codec/bit rate has changed, make the necessary adjustments and remember the result for the next time.

I may be a little simplistic here but there has to be something better that what we currently have. Perhaps you can create another test system for this purpose...

Server log attached.

server-63653535911.txt