Live TV has stopped

rikiwi

I just noticed that I can no longer stream Live TV to my android devices.

When I click the play arrow in the android app, I notice that NPVR tray icon on my server machine turns red, indicating that the tuner is active, then It returne to white.

On my phone it looks like the stream is going to start then the screen just goes black and the player reverts to portrait mode.

Using NextPVR still works perfectly.

I'm on the latest beta versions on the server and the app.

I have NextPVR plugin installed.

Please find attached Server and app logs.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks Luke,Sorry - Avermedia PCIe card tuner (model: AVerMedia A188 PCIe Pure DVBT)

This has been working with Emby and NPVR for some years.

Does it work on a windows machine - in Chrome, in ET ?

Sure does.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

arrbee99

Oh well, no idea how that helps actually. Guess it points to an Android problem not NPVR or server...

Oh well, no idea how that helps actually. Guess it points to an Android problem not NPVR or server...

My thoughts exactly

Not sure if this helps, but I just tried Google Cast from my android phone and it worked perfectly.

I recon this points to a bug in the android player. 

Hi Luke

Have you managed to make any progress on this problem.

On a test android device I have installed VLC and set Emby app to use external player.

This still does not play live TV. I notice that when veiwing the Emby play notification it shows the progress count increasing in time, but on the server NPVR has already disconncted from the tuner.

Let me know if you need more logs etc.

Plays Live TV perfectly using the Web App, channels load in about 5 seconds.

As I said previously, this is only happening in the Android (beta) app.

I just checked the app again and it is now not even accessing the tuners when playing live TV. This is a change from yesterday when it was still accessing the tuners (via) NPVR) for a few seconds.

The player window ends in the portrait orientation and has a gray backgroung and the volume slider is at zero.

Still working perfectly in NPVR.

Edit:

I just reverted back to the standard version - 2.9.76. Same behaviour.

Edited by rikiwi

Hi @@Luke

I just was in another post that an update for the Android app will be coming soon, and saw a reference to version 2.9.72

So I reverted back to that version and Live TV is now loading and all channels start streaming in about 3 seconds.

This is great.

So for now all is working great.

I await the latest version with interesr.

As usual I really appreciate all your hard work.

Edited by rikiwi

Reverted back to what version?

Sorry, the Version should have been - 2.9.72

It's so hot here I can't think straight. :)

Edited by rikiwi

There are improvements for this in the beta version of the app. If you'd like to try that you can learn how here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing/

Thanks !

Thanks so much Luke.

I have just tested live TV and on roaming data on my phone all channels are streaming perfectly. Channels start playing in 10 seconds. I'll test on WiFi when I get home on Sunday.

Very happy. [emoji3]

Update:

After getting home I discovered that Live TV will not play on wifi, only on data.

I have updated to the latest beta versions of the server and android app.

I also noticed that live TV no londer play using Emby Theatre, with play only lasting for a few seconds then stopping until the tuners are no longer being accessed.

Please find clean logs from the app, Embt Theatre and server.

Edit:

I just found this post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55292-cant-stream-internally/

and it would appear that I'm now experiencing very similar results.

theater-63652821972.txt

Edited by rikiwi

there are lots of log files here. which one is from the timeframe that you experienced a problem? thanks.

Sorry Luke, I should have explained the logs more fully.

They are in this sequence starting from the top.

App Log ending in 5970 - attempt at streaming on wifi

App Log ending in 311 - attempt at streaming on data

2 Server ffmp logs

1 Server Log ending in 7561

1 Theatre Log ending in 1972

These were all run in seqhence one after the other within a space of a few minutes.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

Here's your answer. android video player tries to connect to next pvr url, and this is what it gets

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: Playing: http://localhost:8866/live?channeloid=7157&client=MB3.7

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: Opening http://localhost:8866/live?channeloid=7157&client=MB3.7

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: Set property: pause=false -> 1

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: tcp: Connection to tcp://localhost:8866 failed: Connection refused

Sounds like you need to reconfigure your next pvr setup with a url that your apps can reach.

Here's your answer. android video player tries to connect to next pvr url, and this is what it gets

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: Playing: http://localhost:8866/live?channeloid=7157&client=MB3.7

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: Opening http://localhost:8866/live?channeloid=7157&client=MB3.7

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: Set property: pause=false -> 1

Mon Jan 29 11:13:56 GMT+13:00 2018 Mpv String property log-msg: tcp: Connection to tcp://localhost:8866 failed: Connection refused

Sounds like you need to reconfigure your next pvr setup with a url that your apps can reach.
Strange ? I have been using the same setup for a few years and haven't made any changes recently. I'll take a look when I'm home. Npvr is still working fine.

Because now direct play is supported and the device is trying to direct play to a localhost url which obviously it won't be able to reach.

We can improve the detection to stream through emby server but you will get a better experience by doing what i just said so that it will direct play.

• Like 1

Thanks #arrbee99 for the tip (above). I had always just left that setting to Localhost.

I've been testing Live TV on Wifi for a few hours and at first it was quite patchy, then playing seemed to get more reliable. Not sure why this happened.

On some channels it occasionally takes 2 attempts to get continuous playing working.

It takes around 15 seconds to start playing from the time I touch the Play button.

Sometimes, when changing channels, I have to close the app and start again, but not all the time.

Subtitles (CC) are not working even though I have set the app to "Always play subtitles". I'm pretty sure you're still working on this function.

Attempting to watch live TV using my Mobile Data does not work at all. Playing a channel starts then stops and the tuners disconnect.

On another note, Emby Theatre is no longer playing any Live TV, it just locks up with the spinning circle.

Let me know if you need logs and more info.

Edited by rikiwi