image serving

farfromrefuge

farfromrefuge

I am running emby server on a pertty old synology server, consequently it is quite slow. But it handles media updates fast enough,

My issue is more with image serving which are server over http from the emby server, asking it quite a lot of work.

Would it be possible to have an option for the emby addon to look directly for images in media folder? (i use direct access).

I setup emby server to download metadata along the video file just for that purpose. 

And looking at the nfo file, there is an art section. So i guess kodi could look at this directly instead of relying on emby server?

Also what does "cache all atwork" option do exactly? Do i only need to run it once? Or should i do it everytime the database is updated?

THanks

farfromrefuge

Also i see flashing covers in Kodi really often. It s not during update because there is no notification.

Isn't emby just passing images to Kodi so that it writes them in its thumbnails folder?

Angelblue05

Yes, it only passes the url to Kodi. You can disable force artwork cache in the addon settings. That will leave the process completely up to Kodi which will behave more organically. When it needs the image, it will cache it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farfromrefuge

Yes, it only passes the url to Kodi. You can disable force artwork cache in the addon settings. That will leave the process completely up to Kodi which will behave more organically. When it needs the image, it will cache it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the explanation. Did start to use that setting yesterday.Seems a little bit better. Still the emby addon triggers updates during movie playback which causes stutter. Stutter which i am sure are related to image transfering.

It seems my emby server setup is not strong enough for that.

Will investigate more, maybe on the server's side.

Thanks

• Like 1

farfromrefuge

You might try EmbyCon..

From what i have read about EmbyCon, it is the contrary from what i want.

What i want is to access the emby server as less as possible. From what i have heard embyCon actually does not use the Kodi db and directly access the EmbyServer. 

Am i wrong?

Angelblue05

That is correct. Embycon is dynamic, it queries your server for listings of your content.

Emby for Kodi will access all of your content during the initial sync. Then it will maintain the changes only, based on updates sent from the server. However if it runs a manual sync, then this will force it to pull all of your content to compare (best to be avoided).

Edited by Angelblue05

farfromrefuge

That is correct. Embycon is dynamic, it queries your server for listings of your content.

Emby for Kodi will access all of your content during the initial sync. Then it will maintain the changes only, based on updates sent from the server. However if it runs a manual sync, then this will force it to pull all of your content to compare (best to be avoided).

That s what i thought. Can you also explain how watched, progress, recently added are synced?

I mean i see an issue with my emby setup within kody, the widgets take like forever to load. 

I find it weird because if it was only querying the local db this should be really fast. So i was wondering if the emby plugin was syncing with the db for those features or overiding them.

I mean for example when a movie gets watched, does emby override the "event" or is the local db first updated then emby addon sends the event to its server?

Sorry for all the question, i am really trying to make the best out of emby.

Thanks

xnappo

I guess it depends on what you mean.

EmbyCon will never, for example, access the server while you are playing something back.

When EmbyCon *does* access the server, it will me asking for more data, especially when you go to your 'all movies' node.  However it is a much more on-demand action vs. Emby for Kodi which does a bunch of stuff in the background to keep everything in sync.

xnappo

farfromrefuge

I guess it depends on what you mean.

EmbyCon will never, for example, access the server while you are playing something back.

When EmbyCon *does* access the server, it will me asking for more data, especially when you go to your 'all movies' node.  However it is a much more on-demand action vs. Emby for Kodi which does a bunch of stuff in the background to keep everything in sync.

xnappo

Yes i get that. But to make it clear, i want the Kodi database to be populated so that everything is as fast as possible, and as less demanding as possible for the emby server

Thanks

xnappo

When the server gets an update, Emby for Kodi goes to work updating it, regardless of what you are doing.  This is fine, just different.

farfromrefuge

When the server gets an update, Emby for Kodi goes to work updating it, regardless of what you are doing.  This is fine, just different.

Actually this is an option that i would like to see in Emby for kodi: dont sync while playing. It would be great for the plugin to queue syncs to be made and actually handle them when playback stopped (wait for 30s or something after in case the user resumes playing).

I do see video hick-ups during playback. And i am almost sure it comes from emby 

Edited by farfromrefuge
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

With 3.0.5a, server updates should now only trigger when playback is not active.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

farfromrefuge

With 3.0.5a, server updates should now only trigger when playback is not active.

Thanks a lot. Will have to try that.

Now i also decided to try EmbyCon thanks to xnappo! I must say i am quite impressed.

I have 2 different Kodi running . on my AFTV. One with Emby and one with EMbyCon. Will run some tests for a few days(weeks). I will report.

The one thing i really like about Emby is that even if my emby server is down i can still access my db and watch things!

Thanks

• Like 2