Live TV Image Fetching

swhitmore

swhitmore

Now that Emby is starting to support Tuners more natively, would it be possible for Emby to also fetch images natively? With the new Hauppauge support (which is great btw, thank you), I'm not able to grab images for the videos. Since Emby is already amazing at fetching images, would it be possible to extend this to Live TV?

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

Yes schedules direct has great images.

There are no plans to hook in metadata providers because without identifiers the risk for wrong matches is very high.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Thanks Luke. Unfortunately I don't have that option in Australia. I wonder how NextPVR does it.

They query internet providers, which we used to do as well, but without having any imdb/tmdb identifiers, all we have is the title, and the risk of incorrect matching is very high. It happened to us quite frequently where the wrong movie poster would become attached to a movie, and i have even seen it myself in some screenshots of next pvr data. So going that route is not perfect.

swhitmore

They query internet providers, which we used to do as well, but without having any imdb/tmdb identifiers, all we have is the title, and the risk of incorrect matching is very high. It happened to us quite frequently where the wrong movie poster would become attached to a movie, and i have even seen it myself in some screenshots of next pvr data. So going that route is not perfect.

Yeah, fair enough. I've seen the same thing with NextPVR.

Maybe it's worth making the UI a little more friendly when there is no images. Currently this is what I see, and it honestly looks really out of place to the rest of the UI. I would actually prefer removing the 'Programs' tab all together and just jump straight to the guide.

5a597afa51f29_Capture.png

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

arrbee99

Sometimes when NPVR gets the wrong image and I'm feeling enthusiastic I change it in NPVRs database, usually for the common repeating stuff, like local news programmes. Bit of a mission though.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Sometimes when NPVR gets the wrong image and I'm feeling enthusiastic I change it in NPVRs database, usually for the common repeating stuff, like local news programmes. Bit of a mission though.

Thanks, I might try this. How do you change it in the database?

arrbee99

You find this directory  C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows  or your equivalent and you get stuff like this inside it...

5a5e4a79dd33c_EmbyNPVRimagechanging.jpg

So you find some artwork and add it to the directory with the same type of names and I usually modify an existing -catalog file to make a new one with the new image names in -

5a5e4bb5b6fa6_EmbyNPVRimagechanging1.jpg

generally seems to work if you rerun the NPVR guide update and the Emby guide update.

swhitmore

Awesome, thank you. Does this then change the metadata for future episodes in a series? Or do you have to edit every one?

arrbee99

Not sure about metadata and Live TV really. Also hardly ever record actual live TV. NPVR still gets info / descriptions about episodes as usual. The pictures you add depend on the name you give it in the NPVR directory above. So if you add a picture(s) for a particular program it won't add it for variations, like specials, or thing like Masterchef US vs Masterchef AU or whatever its called. So if you've added a picture for a program its shown for that series. Sorry, beginning to ramble a bit...

• Like 1

swhitmore

Thanks, I'll give it a go. It would be great to at least have this option in Emby, since even with the chance or wrong matches, being able to edit them in Emby would be a lot easier.

swhitmore

Ok so this looks pretty straight forward. Do you have a good .xml editor you use, or do you just use Notepad++ or something?

arrbee99

Just use Notepad++. No idea whether it qualifies as one of the good ones. Thats pretty much the only thing I use ++ for.

arrbee99

Thanks, I'll give it a go. It would be great to at least have this option in Emby, since even with the chance or wrong matches, being able to edit them in Emby would be a lot easier.

I did try this https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53454-tv-guide-images/ but it didn't get very far.

Also, I think Luke said Emby used to get images for live TV stuff, but without the imdb/tvdb id it was too hit and miss. Would be nice if it came back but was optional.

swhitmore

I did try this https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53454-tv-guide-images/ but it didn't get very far.

Also, I think Luke said Emby used to get images for live TV stuff, but without the imdb/tvdb id it was too hit and miss. Would be nice if it came back but was optional.

Yeah optional would be better than nothing I think. It's probably more accurate than NPVR anyway, and easier to edit. Either that or a more friendly interface when there are no images.

Is it possible to take another look @@Luke?

I would just find a source for xmltv data, why not zap2xml? 

I don't want to revisit this, sorry, lots of issues here that I don't really want to have to troubleshoot:

• Incorrect matching, leading to unexpected guide data
  • Incorrect matching leading to recordings saved with unexpected images.
  • The amount of time required to query the internet providers for every single entry in the guide, and dealing with complaints over that.

In fact if you look find a topic created by i think "Scott D" or "Scott310", next pvr incorrectly matched a movie to an adult title on moviedb leading to an inappropriate looking display. (And naturally initially blamed on Emby). I'm not blaming next pvr, the same could happen to us if we started doing this again.

swhitmore

No worries, thanks Luke. That's fair enough. I'll have a look at other options. It's a shame that IceTV is so expensive since I think that would work well (It's nearly the same price Netflix).

Edit: Looks like zap2xml doesn't work in Australia.

Edited by swhitmore

swhitmore

Ok, after a bit more digging IceTV offer just their XMLTV feed from $4/m. I guess that's not too bad. I'll test it out for a month and see how it goes. I was able to get it setup straight away which is good.

arrbee99

Ok, after a bit more digging IceTV offer just their XMLTV feed from $4/m. I guess that's not too bad. I'll test it out for a month and see how it goes. I was able to get it setup straight away which is good.

Does that 4$ thing give any TV posters / thumbs ? Probably doesn't work in NZ anyway bit still...

PrincessClevage

Does that 4$ thing give any TV posters / thumbs ? Probably doesn't work in NZ anyway bit still...

Yes it does and for tv shows that don’t have images they use a clean looking text image, I think I got my subscription for $3 and I hate on going fee but this is worth it to get a cleaner more full looking live tv section instead of those horrible pastel tiles

swhitmore

Yes it does and for tv shows that don’t have images they use a clean looking text image, I think I got my subscription for $3 and I hate on going fee but this is worth it to get a cleaner more full looking live tv section instead of those horrible pastel tiles

Oh, how did you get it for $3? Yeah, the images are nice, but I do wish they had more. Even some few common shows are missing. 

The colour tiles are gone now, I noticed that was a recent change. I like the transparent icons.

arrbee99

Far as I can see not in NZ anyway. Oh well, should  I go back to the NPVR plug-in, hmmm, stick with the Hauppauge for a bit - anyone know of a good decision making program...

• Like 1

arrbee99

Oh, how did you get it for $3? Yeah, the images are nice, but I do wish they had more. Even some few common shows are missing. 

The colour tiles are gone now, I noticed that was a recent change. I like the transparent icons.

Updated to 70.1 and coloured tiles are back again. Pity.

I do think our default colors though are a little strong and need to be adjusted individually for each of the themes, so i will say that.