Random Movie view on homescreen (Roku, Android TV, others?)

Jdiesel

/Users/e3bcfb92fbd54ae3a794294f9cb57a2a/Items?recursive=true&IncludeItemTypes=Movie&filters=isUnPlayed&ExcludeLocationTypes=Virtual&SortBy=Random&limit=20&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CMediaSourceCount%2CBasicSyncInfo&ParentId=f137a2dd21bbc1b99aa5c0f6bf02a805&ImageTypeLimit=1&EnableImageTypes=Primary%2CBackdrop%2CBanner%2CThumb&EnableTotalRecordCount=false

SortBy=random .. not .. SortOrder=random   ^__~

• Like 1

Jdiesel
/Users/e3bcfb92fbd54ae3a794294f9cb57a2a/Items?recursive=true&IncludeItemTypes=Movie&filters=isUnPlayed&ExcludeLocationTypes=Virtual&SortBy=Random&limit=20&Fields=PrimaryImageAspectRatio%2CMediaSourceCount%2CBasicSyncInfo&ParentId=f137a2dd21bbc1b99aa5c0f6bf02a805&ImageTypeLimit=1&EnableImageTypes=Primary%2CBackdrop%2CBanner%2CThumb&EnableTotalRecordCount=false

SortBy=random .. not .. SortOrder=random   ^__~

Yep that was it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Perplexed

Oh yes please! With our growing collection, it would be MARVELLOUS to sort movies and/or TV shows randomly and see if a gem pops up... would be the most used feature for sure :wub:

• Like 1

If you have a Roku then try Emby Blue Neon Night on your Roku. This is my old private channel. This app does have the random view, as well as many others. Think of BNN as RARFlix for Emby. It is an extended version of Emby's old official app. Let me know what you think of it, and what features from it you want in the official app.

These are the global views presently offered.

Latest by DateAdded, Latest by PremiereDate, Favorites, Recently Played, Frequently Played, Continue Watching, Random (filtered by unwatched)

These are global and separated by type: Movies, Shows, Episodes, Etc.. Etc..

I want to show the team there is value in these other views at a global scope. Rather than limiting to local (movie/tv/music) scope for these. Having a global scope for all frequently played media. Then you can see what your children or spouse seems to enjoy without asking questions. It makes it a better experience having different ways to sort your media into presentable views. We will be adopting some of these views from BNN into the official app. There is just too much button pressing/navigation required to browse normally. Having these extended views offers more choices with less clicks and provides a much more enjoyable experience finding media to watch. A win/win.

The Blue Neon Night app is based on the older SDKA framework and will be deprecated(removed from your Roku not by me, but by Roku) sometime after Jan 1st 2019. In the meantime it is an Emby app and works. It also has "force direct" "force transcode" "force transcode w/o stream copy" which allows you to be the boss of your playback method.

more info here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/

assets here: https://github.com/speechles/BN-ONE/releases

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
Psyborg

These are the global views presently offered.

Latest by DateAdded, Latest by PremiereDate, Favorites, Recently Played, Frequently Played, Continue Watching, Random (filtered by unwatched)

These are global and separated by type: Movies, Shows, Episodes, Etc.. Etc..

I want to show the team there is value in these other views at a global scope. 

This is exactly what I am looking for all the time!!! That would be a perfect option for all apps (including the one for Fire TV! ;) ). 

We are always flipping some pages of movies but then getting stuck quite fast normally. In large collection many items will never show up this way or you have to be very, very patient. Via a global view option it would be so easy to find hidden gems every time - even in huge movie collections - just in a couple of moments. 

Random views are already possible in in some Kodi skins, but I would really appreciate to have a solution directly in Emby!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
Jdiesel

I forgot about this. Bump for visibility. Maybe now that the stable Roku version was released @@speechles can come up with something to trial it on the Roku app.

Hand him the keys for a test drive

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

We're actively motoring this for community feedback as we do all other requests.

But truthfully I think this is unnecessary as a separate feature. Once we support smart views/playlists, then you could build a smart view with randomized content and then add it to your home screen.

• Like 1

Psyborg

We're actively motoring this for community feedback as we do all other requests.

But truthfully I think this is unnecessary as a separate feature. Once we support smart views/playlists, then you could build a smart view with randomized content and then add it to your home screen.

Thank you for your honest reply. I've always hoped that a random view can be achieved quite easily via an additional sorting option - at least as an interim solution until the smart views come along.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick thank you to you all!! I LOVE the new shuffle (random play) on the Roku TV! Just what I was looking for in a randomizer, especially when we are all shut inside.  As always you guys ROCK! Keep up the good work!

Jdiesel

Just a quick thank you to you all!! I LOVE the new shuffle (random play) on the Roku TV! Just what I was looking for in a randomizer, especially when we are all shut inside. As always you guys ROCK! Keep up the good work!

I just checked and I can't find this. I'm on the latest server and Roku betas.

• 2 months later...
I just checked and I can't find this. I'm on the latest server and Roku betas.
If you open your movies you should see several buttons at the top of the screen. From memory they are 1) Sort 2) block already played 3) play next/all 4) shuffle/random. This are also on the genre screens. The screenshot is from the web app. Roku looks different but they are still there. a82a108244aca728d5ba8e00994c48e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...