HDR lost on MKV --> M4V Direct Stream

mbnwa

mbnwa

@@Zodler

As far as converting MKV to MP4 if you have a Mac you can use Subler as it sets the correct flags for the Apple TV - Keep in mind converting to MP4 with Subler you will lose all HD / DTS tracks as they will be converted to AC3 or AAC

A few threads are going on about HDR -> SDR conversion but they are just discussions at this point and take quite the CPU power due to being single threaded to perform the tone mapping.

Keep in mind with Apple being a walled garden what they support is limited and I think based on what @@ebr stated that’s why the Apple TV transcodes vs trying to play something the Apple TV would fail to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mbnwa

Zodler

I do not want to convert HDR to SDR.

I'm on windows. I need a windows MKV to MP4 solution.

Infuse or MrMC can play them, so Emby app should too.

mbnwa

@@Zodler

Your still limited to what the Apple TV can play natively that’s where the issue comes in not all H265 / HEVC MKVs are created equal.

I don’t know a way to properly object the required flag into the MKV container so the Apple TV would see it. However maybe @@ebr has some additional details I am missing.

mbnwa

As a side note I ended up replacing my Apple TV with Nvidia Shield now I have HDR and Atmos as well as Dolby HD

• Like 2

chriskeens

maybe the file that is not working correctly has the codec tag - hev1 instead of hvc1

try using a hex editor (use the find/replace function) to search for hev1 and replace with hvc1 - then save it ... this has worked with most issues of similar type that I have had

5a9a8e057e56b_1.jpg  5a9a8e1210095_2.jpg

Edited by chriskeens

Zodler

As a side note I ended up replacing my Apple TV with Nvidia Shield now I have HDR and Atmos as well as Dolby HD

1- Do you have that with Emby client?

2- Another question, Can you convert HDR to SDR on the fly on nVidia Shield?

mbnwa

Correct this is with the native Emby app for Android TV, no it’s not doing HDR to SDR conversion but it passes the HDR data along with the stream and my OLED is decoding it as long as Emby is not transcoding.

Zodler

Correct this is with the native Emby app for Android TV, no it’s not doing HDR to SDR conversion but it passes the HDR data along with the stream and my OLED is decoding it as long as Emby is not transcoding.

Thanks. I installed and am using mrmc on apple tv as Emby Client. It has 3 major things that the official Emby app can't do.

1- It switches the TV to HDR on HDR playback

2- It has much better and more beautiful subtitle renderings

3- It can do HDR to SDR conversion. If I set the Apple TV to not match color range, it can play back HDR content in SDR.

1- It switches the TV to HDR on HDR playback

As noted above your post, with the new server, the Emby app can do this as well (for direct streaming).

• Like 1

andyblac644

As noted above your post, with the new server, the Emby app can do this as well (for direct streaming).

but AppleTV wont DirectStream 4k HDR MKV will it?, anyway if it supposed too, none of my UHD remuxes play with HDR.

corey

but AppleTV wont DirectStream 4k HDR MKV will it?, anyway if it supposed too, none of my UHD remuxes play with HDR.

Are you using the latest server beta?

andyblac644

should it be able to DS the video and only transcode audio ? as most HDR are not DD5.1, but DTS, DDP, TrueHD, etc

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

@@corey logs sent, but here what I get 

TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported,VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 3840x2160 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc

Video
Title 4K HEVC
Codec HEVC
Profile Main 10
Level 153
Resolution 3840x2160
Aspect ratio 16:9
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.9760246
Bitrate 45826 kbps
Video range HDR
Color primaries bt2020
Color space bt2020nc
Color transfer smpte2084
Pixel format yuv420p10le
Ref frames 1
Audio
Title Eng DTS 5.1 Default
Language eng
Codec DTS
Profile DTS-HD MA
Layout 5.1
Channels 6 ch
Sample rate 48000 Hz
Bit depth 16 bit
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Title Eng
Language eng
Codec PGSSUB
Default No
Forced No
External No
Container mkv
Edited by andyblac644

corey

Apple is very particular about the supported codec and I think the tag needs to be hvc1 and not hevc. @@ebr can keep me honest though. :)

The codec is okay but there needs to be a codec tag of "hvc1" and that appears to be missing.

Also, be sure the subs aren't selected as those will obviously cause a transcode as well.

andyblac644

The codec is okay but there needs to be a codec tag of "hvc1" and that appears to be missing.

Also, be sure the subs aren't selected as those will obviously cause a transcode as well.

how do i add the tag to a MKV file ?, yeah no subs where selected. surely it should be added as part of the remux by server for DS ?

Edited by andyblac644