FR: MBC - Configurator Plugin Install and Update Request

JayAre
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

JayAre

MBC version 3.0.137.0 3-10.1 beta

Please consider bringing back the feature to install and update plugins in MBC Configurator.  This feature was very convenient when there is only one user managing several htpc's with MBC throughout the home.  On previous version of MBC, I can just log in to each htpc remotely and use the MBC Configurator to install and update plugins.  I'm not looking forward on doing rounds in my house every time there are new plugin updates.

Edited by JayAre

• Solution

I don't plan to bring that back.  However, I do plan to implement a "silent" update capability for plug-ins so that you won't have to do anything to keep them up-to-date.

• Like 3

JayAre

I don't plan to bring that back.  However, I do plan to implement a "silent" update capability for plug-ins so that you won't have to do anything to keep them up-to-date.

Even better, hope to see it soon. Thanks ebr!

techywarrior

Ooh, that will be real slick ebr. Will that be a background task or would MBC need to be opened to trigger the plugin update? If the updates require a restart of MBC that could be annoying... but I am guessing you are going to do a system similar to MBS' auto update.

pagali

What about configuring external players? I hope that's not going away? Will we eventually be doing that within MBC, or still in the separate configurator? Either way is fine, as long as we can still do it.

Ooh, that will be real slick ebr. Will that be a background task or would MBC need to be opened to trigger the plugin update? If the updates require a restart of MBC that could be annoying... but I am guessing you are going to do a system similar to MBS' auto update.

It will require MBC to run and a re-start, however, you just won't even know about it.  The first time you run MBC it will download the update.  The next time you open it, you'll get the updated dll.  So, all the user would ever see is the updated plug-in on the second start.

• Like 1

What about configuring external players? I hope that's not going away? Will we eventually be doing that within MBC, or still in the separate configurator? Either way is fine, as long as we can still do it.

That is not going away but will stay in the external app for now.

• Like 1

Well done Ebr! Was hoping you say that regarding external player, and upcoming regarding silent plugins update will be lovely indeed.

techywarrior

It will require MBC to run and a re-start, however, you just won't even know about it.  The first time you run MBC it will download the update.  The next time you open it, you'll get the updated dll.  So, all the user would ever see is the updated plug-in on the second start.

Ok, that's pretty good. I don't know if anyone does, but if they stay in MBC for very long periods of time (weeks) without leaving they will end up being behind. But I suppose MBC will ask for a restart if it needs to update itself. As long as there isn't a plugin update pending that fixes a major bug it probably isn't a big deal.

Not sure if it's worth it, but maybe popup the "MBC needs to restart" dialog if a plugin update was downloaded more then 2 days ago with no restart yet?

Perhaps.  We'll see how it goes.

Unless you leave the machine running all the time, it isn't really practical to leave MBC running all the time as WMC does not go in and out of sleep well.

JayAre

This applies to all users not just users allowed to managed MBS?  Most htpc's in my home have standard users, not allowed to manage MBS.

This applies to all users not just users allowed to managed MBS?  Most htpc's in my home have standard users, not allowed to manage MBS.

That's correct.  I will have the silent update not be restricted to admins.