Buffering on Direct Play

legallink

legallink

I’m not sure how best to report this but as of recently, I appear to get a lot of buffering on remote direct plal or direct streaming files. It doesn’t show up in the server logs but is there any way to log that and have it display? Predominantly only since .10 and only remote clients.

Everbrave

I’m not sure how best to report this but as of recently, I appear to get a lot of buffering on remote direct plal or direct streaming files. It doesn’t show up in the server logs but is there any way to log that and have it display? Predominantly only since .10 and only remote clients.

I don't observe buffering under direct stream but rather at playback of hevc media; I guess it is rather a server (Transcoding) issue, but I wonder why to transcode since ATV 4K supports hevc natively.

corey

I don't observe buffering under direct stream but rather at playback of hevc media; I guess it is rather a server (Transcoding) issue, but I wonder why to transcode since ATV 4K supports hevc natively.

As far as I know the server shouldn't be transcoding HEVC content. We added support of HEVC for direct play to Apple TV shortly after the tvOS 11 release.

As far as I know the server shouldn't be transcoding HEVC content. We added support of HEVC for direct play to Apple TV shortly after the tvOS 11 release.

But it may be remuxing it if it isn't in a compatible container.

However, this post is about direct playing not transcoding.

In that case, I would suspect the issue is in the remote connection.

legallink

But it may be remuxing it if it isn't in a compatible container.

However, this post is about direct playing not transcoding.

In that case, I would suspect the issue is in the remote connection.

How do I trouble shoot/pin point that?  I mean from an Emby perspective, so that I know that it is the remote connection and not the server.  It has been happening with the iOS app as well as the Apple TV app, so I figured I could just pin point it here since with the Apple TV remote connection there are less moving parts.

Edited by legallink

How do I trouble shoot/pin point that?  I mean from an Emby perspective, so that I know that it is the remote connection and not the server.  It has been happening with the iOS app as well as the Apple TV app, so I figured I could just pin point it here since with the Apple TV remote connection there are less moving parts.

I'm not sure :).  Is there a particular time or show that will consistently make it occur?

What is the reported bandwidth on both ends?

If I'm still setup on your server, I could maybe try to replicate with the console going.  I have a very fast connection though so, if the issue is on the app end, I may not see it.