HEIC photo support?

pir8radio

pir8radio

I'm a little surprised a search for heic didn't come back with anything...   Any plans to support heic photos in emby?

pir8radio

PMing it to you,  I don't know how to strip the EXIF data from heic's yet lol...

• 11 months later...

If by that you mean a sample HEIC photo -- sure -- here is one attached.  I could not u5c1a7df23dd31_IMG_1295_HEIC.jpgpload this as an image to this site.  The image upload says 'must be an image'.  So even this site does not yet support HEIC.  So I renamed the file which is a HEIC to end in .JPG5c1a7e13b5169_IMG_1295_HEIC.jpg

Thanks. It looks like our image processing library, Skia, does not support this as of yet. We will keep an eye on it for the future. 

Alternatively if ffmpeg ends up supporting it, then we could use that as well. Looks like they have an open ticket you could throw your weight into:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/6521

Thanks.

If it's going to be a new default apple format, then it's only a matter of time until major image processing libraries start supporting it.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Any update on HEIC support? I'm not seeing my HEIC photos in my photo library.

It's currently not supported by the skia graphics library that we're using for image processing, so for us that's a roadblock right now.

• 4 weeks later...
jmerichards

It's currently not supported by the skia graphics library that we're using for image processing, so for us that's a roadblock right now.

Hi Luke - Is this Skia thing a recent change? Emby has been gold (I've been trialling it over Plex over the last couple of months). I've just noticed today that I have no .heic images (which is a significant portion of my library).

As a side note, your great support in this forum is noted and welcomed. Cheers.

We've been using skis for image processing for a long time now. Hopefully they will add heic support. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
jbirmingham40

Looks like milestone 78 of the skia library has added support for heif. 

Milestone 78

Add SkCodec::SelectionPolicy for distinguishing between decoding a still image or an image sequence for a container format that has both (e.g. HEIF). https://review.skia.org/232839

Not sure if this is enough to get it to work but it is promising.

denz

I just discovered few days ago that even in win10 file explore you can’t view those files but in OneDrive they display. To get them to jpeg had to send them by mail app which is annoying.

• 4 months later...