How do I record live tv (show not appearing in guide)

mchahn

mchahn

My guide is almost empty.  I'm posting a different question about that.

I'm watching the show live but I can't figure out how to start recording.   Also, in general how do i do a manual recording?

Edit: Oops wrong forum, should I re-post this somewhere else?

Edited by mchahn

kanipek

My guide is almost empty.  I'm posting a different question about that.

I'm watching the show live but I can't figure out how to start recording.   Also, in general how do i do a manual recording?

Edit: Oops wrong forum, should I re-post this somewhere else?

Regarding your guide data - Have you gone through the process of mapping your channels? You can get to that via the dashboard ->Live TV then use the 3 dot menu to map channels

Regarding recording - what client are you using to view Live TV?

mchahn

> Have you gone through the process of mapping your channels?

The mapping looks correct.  It was apparently filled by looking at my hdhomerun.

what client are you using to view Live TV?

I've only tried the web client so far.  I assumed it had the most features.

kanipek

> Have you gone through the process of mapping your channels?

The mapping looks correct.  It was apparently filled by looking at my hdhomerun.

what client are you using to view Live TV?

I've only tried the web client so far.  I assumed it had the most features.

Have you added a guide data provider ? Schedules Direct for example?

rechner123

I tried this with a channel without guide and it was also not possible. I think there is not a manual recording function and program information is needed to record.

mchahn

Yes, I'm using Schedules Direct (USA-CA65194-X).  Some shows are appearing correctly, but hardly any.  The logs show the schedule being queried for each channel ID and they look like this ...

2018-01-07 16:13:25.102 Info App: Channel Station ID is: 10269
2018-01-07 16:13:25.102 Info HttpClient: POST: https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/schedules
2018-01-07 16:13:25.444 Info HttpClient: POST: https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/programs
2018-01-07 16:13:26.716 Info HttpClient: POST: https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/metadata/programs

And ended like this 

2018-01-07 16:13:33.732 Info TaskManager: Refresh Guide Completed after 10 minute(s) and 21 seconds
2018-01-07 16:13:33.735 Info ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded
2018-01-07 16:13:33.735 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks

mchahn

I think there is not a manual recording function

Is this true?  I can't think of any function more basic that a DVR should have.  If so I'll post a feature request.

• Like 1

kanipek

Yes, I'm using Schedules Direct (USA-CA65194-X).  Some shows are appearing correctly, but hardly any.  The logs show the schedule being queried for each channel ID and they look like this ...

2018-01-07 16:13:25.102 Info App: Channel Station ID is: 10269
2018-01-07 16:13:25.102 Info HttpClient: POST: https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/schedules
2018-01-07 16:13:25.444 Info HttpClient: POST: https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/programs
2018-01-07 16:13:26.716 Info HttpClient: POST: https://json.schedulesdirect.org/20141201/metadata/programs

And ended like this 

2018-01-07 16:13:33.732 Info TaskManager: Refresh Guide Completed after 10 minute(s) and 21 seconds
2018-01-07 16:13:33.735 Info ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded
2018-01-07 16:13:33.735 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks

Okay but have you verified that each channel is mapped to guide data? It is rare in my experience for all guide data to be mapped without user intervention, if your tuner in a HDHomeRun Prime with a CableCard installed then usually the mapping is good without intervention, but not always.

mchahn

>  It is rare in my experience for all guide data to be mapped without user intervention

So if one or two are screwed up the whole thing is affected?  The shows that do appear are on a lot of different channels.  I'll peruse the whole list again.

if your tuner in a HDHomeRun Prime with a CableCard installed then usually the mapping is good without intervention

It is from a CableCard.  

Is there any way to figure out whether the problem is from Emby or Schedules Direct?

mchahn

Weird.  I happened to look ahead in the guide and everything appears starting on 1/11.  I guess the DB has missing data.

So all my questions are answered.  Thanks to everyone.

• 1 year later...
informaweb

still no function to record the live tv when it was to be expected .. Moreover, it is still a function that should be basic. I have a problem with my TV guide and suddenly the TV channel that I want to record does not have EPG ... I do not know how to do ... while the live recording function would have been so much more simple...

• 2 years later...
rickdEMBY

Instead of continually making empty promises as I've read throughout these forums for years now ... I recommend everyone just move over to NextPVR ... similar in all capabilities PLUS they have a working version where one can easily create a "Manual Recording" ... AND its completely free for "NON-Commercial" use ... to save some $$ and gain some valuable functionality!

Sorry EMBY ... you've missed a valuable and popular requested feature and have forced me and I am sure many others to drop the monthly fee for your product that is less functional ...

rickdEMBY

I also bump the Web player up a notch on NextPVR ... it will continue to allow the live stream to play thru bad signal blips where the EMBY Web stream client just stops and I switch over to playing the .ts files with MPlayer ...

I am not bashing here .. only providing data from experience