#21 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2936 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Well I agree that skipping chapters should be included. The number of times I wanted to skip to the next video in a playlist is zero. Chapter skipping on the other hand is very useful.
  • ShoutingMan likes this

#22 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:17 AM

Look, its late, I'm sick, and definitely don't feel like arguing with you. But GitHub isn't a file-host that specific updates get uploaded to, it's the git (a version control system platform) host the emby devs use for Emby Server, Emby Theater, etc. It's a digital collaborative platform that hosts their code repositories, in other word all the code written for the project and a complete version history documenting all the changes made - nothing gets "put up" on GitHub in the traditional sense, whenever Luke et al edit any of the raw code for Emby Theater, Emby Server, etc, and they are finished with a particular part, they "commit" it, and it gets added to the list of changes on GitHub, allowing any other developer working on it to sync with it, updating their local repository and showing exactly what was changed.

All of the code, and all the changes are hosted there, and that is the reason it works - if any changes weren't hosted there, it would make the entire system meaningless. 

I'm familiar with it

https://github.com/M...indows/releases

https://github.com/m...0.28.2...master

Edited by Doofus, 06 March 2018 - 01:35 AM.

#23 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 5065 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 PM
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Well I agree that skipping chapters should be included. The number of times I wanted to skip to the next video in a playlist is zero. Chapter skipping on the other hand is very useful.

Agree, I use that button for two things - for skipping chapters in a movie and skipping to the next song in a music playlist.  If I feel like watching another video I'll just start it.

Edited by FrostByte, 06 March 2018 - 07:40 AM.

• arrbee99 likes this

#24 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:18 PM

Lets not argue about GitHub, and instead focus energies on advocating for the return of Chapter Skip functionality :)
  • PurposelyCryptic likes this

#25 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

This has been driving me crazy since it was implemented, but apparently, it was deliberately changed as a feature rather than a bug - see the following quotes from other threads:
https://emby.media/c...es/#entry547282

https://emby.media/c...nd/#entry511927

https://emby.media/c...ed/#entry493268

I too desperately want my good old chapter-skip back, and have never once been in a situation where I needed a dedicated button to jump to the next episode or movie; the only use case I could see would be for music, but without chapter marks (or auto-inserted ones at the 5-min mark by Emby), it should already have jumped to the next entry.

Does anyone remember the last version where it worked properly? It seems to have happened a lot longer ago than I thought, going by some of the dates on people's posts

I’d seen that thread previously, after reporting this bug. The rationale for changing the functionality makes no sense. It’s coming from the seeming perspective of someone who only listens to music and never watches movies. It makes zero sense for a movie player, defying 20 years of video transport control conventions.

Chapter Skip worked last Fall. I had my remote control programmed for it. I was using the feature then.

Then it vanished.

I especially miss it when watching Extras. They don’t have a “Resume” feature. I often can’t watch a full 90 min Making Off featurette. Chapter Skip makes it easy to jump back to where I was. Using a 15-second Skip forward is an exercise in tedium trying to advance hundreds of remote-control button presses to get forward an hour to where I left off.

It’s also a great feature for doing demos, or just watching favorite scenes in movies. Instead of jumping forward by numerous teeny increments, easily jump a few chapter chapters to marvel at “Shiny” in “Moana”.

Fundamentally, I wish Emby wouldn’t break existing features when doing updates. We’ve lost a Chapter Skip and audio track labels, inexplicably, for months. Hoping some of Emby’s key selling points (for me) come back.

When they do, I’ll probably turn off auto updates to prevent the random breaking of my setup afterwards.

Edited by ShoutingMan, 06 March 2018 - 10:31 PM.

#26 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156974 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

I'll be reviewing this soon, thanks guys.
  • JAJ, FrostByte, snapwing and 2 others like this

#27 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156974 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:18 AM

Ok so here is how we'll improve this.

The OSD will remain as-is, because without the presence of next/previous track there is no other on-screen way to execute the function.

The keyboard shortcuts will be fixed to match what our documentation currently says. In addition, the channel up/down keys will be updated to cycle channels when playing live tv, but also to serve as next/previous track when not playing live tv.

• FrostByte and serpi like this

#28 khodges747 OFFLINE  

khodges747

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:26 AM

@Luke:

Sounds good to me. Any idea of the timeline?

Thanks for hearing us.

Edited by khodges747, 20 March 2018 - 06:27 AM.

#29 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

Thanks!

#30 serpi OFFLINE  

serpi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Local time: 02:28 AM

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

Hi,

versions 2.9.9 and 3.0.0 are out, but chapter skipping is still missing?

Didn't think this could be so hard, as it was already there a few versions ago  :(

Ciao, Alfred

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156974 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

versions 2.9.9 and 3.0.0 are out, but chapter skipping is still missing?

Didn't think this could be so hard, as it was already there a few versions ago  :(

Ciao, Alfred

The changes I mentioned above were already made.

#32 serpi OFFLINE  

serpi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:39 PM

Chapter skipping doesn't work with my media center remote control and the skip forward/backward buttons (but it did before).

So I think, this is on purpose?

I tried it, CTRL-F/B does work, it seems I have to remap the buttons, to get this working again (thank to Advanced MCE Remote Mapper, it's not too hard).

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

#33 PurposelyCryptic OFFLINE  

PurposelyCryptic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

The OSD will remain as-is, because without the presence of next/previous track there is no other on-screen way to execute the function.

The keyboard shortcuts will be fixed to match what our documentation currently says. In addition, the channel up/down keys will be updated to cycle channels when playing live tv, but also to serve as next/previous track when not playing live tv.

Hey Luke,

Thanks for the update - I'm currently out of town and haven't had a chance to set my mobile server up yet (I'm in the middle of nowhere with only cellular internet access), so I can't check this out, but going by what you said, and what is on the wiki, does this mean there are now two track skip button sets on a Windows Media Remote, but still no chapter skip?

What I mean is, the Wiki has the following functions listed for remotes:

• search/find: launch app search function
  • favorites: navigate to favorites
  • home: navigate to home
  • menu/info: show menu or info for selected content (if available)
  • back
  • forward
  • toggle mute
  • volume up
  • volume down
  • channel up
  • channel down
  • rewind
  • fast forward
  • next track
  • previous track
  • record
  • pause
  • play
  • stop

Of which the 'Next Track' and 'Previous Track' buttons used to map to the 'Next Chapter' and 'Previous Chapter' function, or, if there was no next chapter, advance to the next track, but which were then changed (back when) to be just 'Next Track' and 'Previous Track'.

From your post I gathered that, when not in Live TV, the 'Channel Up' and 'Channel Down' buttons now also map to 'Next Track' and 'Previous Track', creating a duplication in functionality.

Is this an accurate assessment, or have the buttons which originally mapped to chapter skipping had that functionality restored, and the wiki has simply not yet been updated to reflect that fact?

Sorry for the long post, I just happen to solely use my remote to navigate Emby Theater, so it is a subject of great personal interested. Also, thanks for all the work you've put into this (and many, many other things), it really is greatly appreciated ☺️

#34 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156974 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

Chapter skipping doesn't work with my media center remote control and the skip forward/backward buttons (but it did before).

I tried it, CTRL-F/B does work, it seems I have to remap the buttons, to get this working again (thank to Advanced MCE Remote Mapper, it's not too hard).

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Sorry, what is on purpose? For windows media center remotes, we are listening for the commands:

• APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_NEXTTRACK
  • APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_PREVIOUSTRACK

And we are sending those commands into the app as next & previous track. To my knowledge, there is no windows media chapter command, see here:

https://msdn.microso...5(v=vs.85).aspx

#35 PurposelyCryptic OFFLINE  

PurposelyCryptic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Sounds like you answered my question before I even managed to hit post☺️

Hopefully either the 'channel up/down' or the 'skip forward/back' buttons can be officially mapped to chapter skipping, since there shouldn't be any need for both of them to map to track skipping (which the seem to be at the moment).

#36 PurposelyCryptic OFFLINE  

PurposelyCryptic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Sorry, what is on purpose? For windows media center remotes, we are listening for the commands:

• APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_NEXTTRACK
  • APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_PREVIOUSTRACK

And we are sending those commands into the app as next & previous track. To my knowledge, there is no windows media chapter command, see here:

https://msdn.microso...5(v=vs.85).aspx

I'm not sure on what the implementation was, but the 'skip forward/back' buttons definitely used to function as described in my earlier post, that is, skip forward/backward to chapter markers, or, if there were no additional chapter markers left to skip to, skip to the next/previous track. 

Similar to how 'Pg Up/Down' worked (or still work, probably) in Emby for WMC, except in EfWMC, I don't think it advanced to the next track of there were no further chapter markers - playback just ended instead.

Edit:

Not to speak for another, but I believe when serpi referred to the behavior of the 'skip forward/back' being on purpose, he meant that these buttons were purposely still mapped to the  'Next Track' and 'Previous Track' function, rather than having been remapped to chapter skipping, and that implementation simply not working as it should. 

Edited by PurposelyCryptic, 29 March 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#37 serpi OFFLINE  

serpi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

Not to speak for another, but I believe when serpi referred to the behavior of the 'skip forward/back' being on purpose, he meant that these buttons were purposely still mapped to the  'Next Track' and 'Previous Track' function, rather than having been remapped to chapter skipping, and that implementation simply not working as it should. 

The problem seems to be, that the buttons on the remote are called next track/previous track and also the emby wiki only mentions this on the remote, while the CTRL+F/B is either track or chapter skipping.

So, according to the wiki, the buttons on the remote are now doing, what they should do, skipping the track (not the chapter).

It was just a happy little accident, that the buttons worked in the past like the CTRL+F/B.

Of course, I would prefer to change the wiki and get the behaviour back, but I also understand, if it stays as it is now.

I have now remapped the button functions of the remote (thanks to that great tool I mentioned), so that for me, this is not a problem anymore.

Ciao, Alfred

#38 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

I thought chapter skip was restored last month. But it's still missing from Emby Theater v2.9.6, tested today April 15.

What's the status; do I need to manually update something? Thanks.

I was out of date. ET updated to v3.0.0. Chapter Skip is restored for keyboard (and so remote control) inputs. Thanks!

Chapter Skip doesn't work from the GUI within Emby Theater. Less important for me, but hopefully this can be restored too.

Edited by ShoutingMan, 15 April 2018 - 11:49 AM.

#39 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 156974 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:02 PM

That will remain as is based on my explanation above.

#40 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

I don't understand your explanation of why you have to have non-functional chapter-skip keys in the UI...but ok.

I'm glad it's working in some fashion. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: theater, chapter skip, playback, keyboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users