[BUG] Chapter Skip missing from Emby Theater

ShoutingMan

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so here is how we'll improve this.

The OSD will remain as-is, because without the presence of next/previous track there is no other on-screen way to execute the function.

The keyboard shortcuts will be fixed to match what our documentation currently says. In addition, the channel up/down keys will be updated to cycle channels when playing live tv, but also to serve as next/previous track when not playing live tv.

• Like 2

khodges747

@Luke:

Sounds good to me. Any idea of the timeline?

Thanks for hearing us.

Edited by khodges747

• 2 weeks later...
serpi

Hi,

versions 2.9.9 and 3.0.0 are out, but chapter skipping is still missing?

Didn't think this could be so hard, as it was already there a few versions ago  :(

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

Hi,

versions 2.9.9 and 3.0.0 are out, but chapter skipping is still missing?

Didn't think this could be so hard, as it was already there a few versions ago  :(

Ciao, Alfred

The changes I mentioned above were already made.

serpi

Chapter skipping doesn't work with my media center remote control and the skip forward/backward buttons (but it did before).

So I think, this is on purpose?

I tried it, CTRL-F/B does work, it seems I have to remap the buttons, to get this working again (thank to Advanced MCE Remote Mapper, it's not too hard).

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

PurposelyCryptic

The OSD will remain as-is, because without the presence of next/previous track there is no other on-screen way to execute the function.

The keyboard shortcuts will be fixed to match what our documentation currently says. In addition, the channel up/down keys will be updated to cycle channels when playing live tv, but also to serve as next/previous track when not playing live tv.

Hey Luke,

Thanks for the update - I'm currently out of town and haven't had a chance to set my mobile server up yet (I'm in the middle of nowhere with only cellular internet access), so I can't check this out, but going by what you said, and what is on the wiki, does this mean there are now two track skip button sets on a Windows Media Remote, but still no chapter skip?

What I mean is, the Wiki has the following functions listed for remotes:

• search/find: launch app search function
  • favorites: navigate to favorites
  • home: navigate to home
  • menu/info: show menu or info for selected content (if available)
  • back
  • forward
  • toggle mute
  • volume up
  • volume down
  • channel up
  • channel down
  • rewind
  • fast forward
  • next track
  • previous track
  • record
  • pause
  • play
  • stop

Of which the 'Next Track' and 'Previous Track' buttons used to map to the 'Next Chapter' and 'Previous Chapter' function, or, if there was no next chapter, advance to the next track, but which were then changed (back when) to be just 'Next Track' and 'Previous Track'.

From your post I gathered that, when not in Live TV, the 'Channel Up' and 'Channel Down' buttons now also map to 'Next Track' and 'Previous Track', creating a duplication in functionality.

Is this an accurate assessment, or have the buttons which originally mapped to chapter skipping had that functionality restored, and the wiki has simply not yet been updated to reflect that fact?

Sorry for the long post, I just happen to solely use my remote to navigate Emby Theater, so it is a subject of great personal interested. Also, thanks for all the work you've put into this (and many, many other things), it really is greatly appreciated ☺️

Chapter skipping doesn't work with my media center remote control and the skip forward/backward buttons (but it did before).

I tried it, CTRL-F/B does work, it seems I have to remap the buttons, to get this working again (thank to Advanced MCE Remote Mapper, it's not too hard).

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Sorry, what is on purpose? For windows media center remotes, we are listening for the commands:

• APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_NEXTTRACK
  • APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_PREVIOUSTRACK

And we are sending those commands into the app as next & previous track. To my knowledge, there is no windows media chapter command, see here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646275(v=vs.85).aspx

PurposelyCryptic

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

Sounds like you answered my question before I even managed to hit post☺️

Hopefully either the 'channel up/down' or the 'skip forward/back' buttons can be officially mapped to chapter skipping, since there shouldn't be any need for both of them to map to track skipping (which the seem to be at the moment).

PurposelyCryptic

Sorry, what is on purpose? For windows media center remotes, we are listening for the commands:

• APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_NEXTTRACK
  • APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_PREVIOUSTRACK

And we are sending those commands into the app as next & previous track. To my knowledge, there is no windows media chapter command, see here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646275(v=vs.85).aspx

I'm not sure on what the implementation was, but the 'skip forward/back' buttons definitely used to function as described in my earlier post, that is, skip forward/backward to chapter markers, or, if there were no additional chapter markers left to skip to, skip to the next/previous track. 

Similar to how 'Pg Up/Down' worked (or still work, probably) in Emby for WMC, except in EfWMC, I don't think it advanced to the next track of there were no further chapter markers - playback just ended instead.

Edit:

Not to speak for another, but I believe when serpi referred to the behavior of the 'skip forward/back' being on purpose, he meant that these buttons were purposely still mapped to the  'Next Track' and 'Previous Track' function, rather than having been remapped to chapter skipping, and that implementation simply not working as it should. 

Edited by PurposelyCryptic

serpi

Not to speak for another, but I believe when serpi referred to the behavior of the 'skip forward/back' being on purpose, he meant that these buttons were purposely still mapped to the  'Next Track' and 'Previous Track' function, rather than having been remapped to chapter skipping, and that implementation simply not working as it should. 

The problem seems to be, that the buttons on the remote are called next track/previous track and also the emby wiki only mentions this on the remote, while the CTRL+F/B is either track or chapter skipping.

So, according to the wiki, the buttons on the remote are now doing, what they should do, skipping the track (not the chapter).

It was just a happy little accident, that the buttons worked in the past like the CTRL+F/B.

Of course, I would prefer to change the wiki and get the behaviour back, but I also understand, if it stays as it is now.

I have now remapped the button functions of the remote (thanks to that great tool I mentioned), so that for me, this is not a problem anymore.

Ciao, Alfred

• 3 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

I thought chapter skip was restored last month. But it's still missing from Emby Theater v2.9.6, tested today April 15.

What's the status; do I need to manually update something? Thanks.

I was out of date. ET updated to v3.0.0. Chapter Skip is restored for keyboard (and so remote control) inputs. Thanks!

Chapter Skip doesn't work from the GUI within Emby Theater. Less important for me, but hopefully this can be restored too.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

I don't understand your explanation of why you have to have non-functional chapter-skip keys in the UI...but ok.

I'm glad it's working in some fashion. :)

PurposelyCryptic

Read my explanation. They are not chapter skip keys.

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but is there a particular reason why remotes now have two input sets mapped to next/previous track (The dedicated buttons, and now the channel up/down buttons), keyboards have two input sets for pause/unpause (Space and PageUp/Down), but only keyboards have a shortcut mapped to next/previous chapter/track, and even then only a multi-key one (control-f/control-b)?

Is it really that problematic to map next/previous chapter/track to one of the duplicated inputs (preferably PageUp/Down, since they are present on both keyboards and remotes, every keyboard has a Space key, and having separate keys for pause and unpause is odd to begin with, but as an alternate function for channel up/down would work too)?

I still can't really see any situation that specifically requires a next/previous track button where a next/previous chapter/track button wouldn't work equally well to begin with, but that conversation has gone nowhere in months, so I'm just assuming now the world will end unless a sufficient number of next/previous track inputs exist in Emby Theater. But would it really be so bad to map next/previous chapter/track to a currently almost-entirely useless set of inputs like PageUp/Downpause/unpause, so that remote users could finally easily access this incredibly useful functionality again?

I'm out of town for the current month, and have been using the opportunity to try out Plex on my laptop (with 4 8TB external drives hanging off of it); So far I definitely still prefer Emby, but I'd be lying if I said that every time I skip over a show's Opening/Ending Credits with the push of a single button, it doesn't make me dread having to go back to Emby where that option just is not available.

Yes, more mappings are possible. The current ones have been mostly adopted from windows media center and netflix so that's where they originated.

PurposelyCryptic

We could use page up/down for next/previous chapter.

That would be awesome! :)

(also matches the implementation in several other platforms, so easy for new folks to pick up)

ShoutingMan

Read my explanation. They are not chapter skip keys.

You know the overall architecture and roadmap for Emby, so I have to trust you know how all this fits together, and why the button used to be chapter skip but aren't anymore. I can only say for my uses, I don't use Emby for music and don't need next/prev tracks. Chapter skip is more normal and to me and is helpful to have.

I'm glad it's available via keyboard shortcut and can be mapped to my remote. That's what I really need. If you change the keys, please update the documentation so I can update my remote accordingly. Thanks :)

arrbee99

For that actual GUI buttons, it would be nice if the |< and >| could be chapter skip and a double click could be prev/next track.