Extremely slow retrieving movies from server

ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024

Hi all,

Having a bit of a frustrating time playing some files. Larger files, say anything over 15GB has a hard time playing on my Roku 4 Ultra. It sits on retrieving and loading constantly. I have tried wired and wireless, both do the same thing. Wired is a GB connection back to the server. I have the playback set to auto or 30MBs UHD.

Trans-coding is set to use max cores on the server.

• Like 1

ITGuy1024

This issue also appears when I try to play files from the server in the web client. As a test I also installed Plex which streams perfect on the server but falls apart on the Roku.

This might be a limitation of the Roku since it only has a 10/100 port on it and can't deal with the larger files.

Edited by ITGuy1024

It is not the size of the files per se but, rather, their bitrate and codec (hevc at 45+Mb/s).

Your server cannot transcode them fast enough and the Roku probably also cannot handle that high of a bitrate to direct play it (but you should try a setting north of 45Mb and see).

ITGuy1024

I'd be surprised if the server was having a hard time. 8 core 4.8Ghz / 16GB Ram

Are you saying to change these settings on the server or on the Roku? I changed the video quality setting on the Roku from 100Mb to 30, to auto with no difference.

I'd be surprised if the server was having a hard time. 8 core 4.8Ghz / 16GB Ram

Well, it is :).  From your transcode log, it is not able to transcode at even 1/2 speed:

frame=    3 fps=0.0 q=0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:00.40 bitrate=N/A speed=0.643x    
frame=   10 fps=8.3 q=0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:00.74 bitrate=N/A speed=0.619x    
frame=   15 fps=8.4 q=0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:00.91 bitrate=N/A speed=0.512x    
frame=   22 fps=9.4 q=0.0 size=N/A time=00:00:01.24 bitrate=N/A speed=0.532x    
frame=   27 fps=9.4 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:01.41 bitrate=N/A speed=0.495x    
frame=   32 fps=9.3 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:01.75 bitrate=N/A speed=0.51x    
frame=   38 fps=9.6 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:01.92 bitrate=N/A speed=0.483x    
frame=   43 fps=9.4 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:02.08 bitrate=N/A speed=0.458x    
frame=   50 fps=9.8 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:02.42 bitrate=N/A speed=0.473x    
frame=   55 fps=9.6 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:02.59 bitrate=N/A speed=0.454x    
frame=   62 fps=9.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:02.92 bitrate=N/A speed=0.466x    
frame=   67 fps=9.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:03.09 bitrate=N/A speed=0.456x    
frame=   72 fps=9.8 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:03.40 bitrate=N/A speed=0.464x    
frame=   78 fps=9.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:03.57 bitrate=N/A speed=0.454x    

We're transcoding 4K to 4K so that is probably the main reason. We should just transcode 4K to 1080p and then it probably will be fine. We're looking into it, thanks.

• 3 months later...
Robert X. Gonzalez

Luke,

I also have experienced this issue, but not every movie or episode that Emby records.  Roku typically works just fine with Video Quality set to Automatic (Default).  However, when I do records SOME shows, sometimes moving it down to 1Mbps HD works, even then every so often all the way down to 500 Kbps SD.  Even then some movies will simply not play on Roku.  They play fine on Emby and can also directly click on the file and play it with windows.  It has on occasion frustrated me so much, I just delete it and wait for the movie to air again and then often times the movie will then play just fine.  I do not know what to tweak at this point.  I have the most current version of Emby Server.  The current movie giving me an issue is IN HARMS WAY.  Will not play in auto, but will finally play at 1Mbps HD, but still takes about a minute or so to retrieve. Frankly, never know when I will record and have issues.  Any thoughts?

Log

Hi, is the mp4 in this log something that was created using the emby recording conversion feature?

Robert X. Gonzalez

Luke,

Yes, recorded this movie using Emby Server back in May, so what ever version was current then was used.  But this continues to happen.  When I do d/l a movie say off youtube or from a dvd using handbrake, always works.  Does not happen often and always recording so have not determined what may be causing it.  Using the Silicondust tuners but with and without transcoders.  I have four Roku's and happens on all.

We need to determine if the issue is with the file itself or if the network is just too slow. I would try creating some new recordings without using the conversion feature.

With the next release of the server, the feature will be gone anyway and replaced with a feature to convert after the recording has completed, as that will produce a much more reliable result.

ITGuy1024

I pretty much gave up trying to stream movies from Emby. It seems to rarely play without constant buffering. Full gig network, powerful server and latest roku devices. It may work if you lower the quality to the "potato" setting.

• Like 1

Robert X. Gonzalez

I will wait till the next release.  the Movie mentioned was recorded last year.  I do a lot of recordings, but sometimes it takes me a bit to get to the movie/series I recorded.  I have seen it with recordings this year, but it is not every recording, just occasional, and never know it till I check later to watch it.   I have a notion it may be the conversion, although not sure exactly what I have done.  I have a gig network, four core / 3.5 GHz and 16 Gigs.... and when recording, typically no more than two programs at a time but sometimes four or five, but typically two.  Will wait as this is not a daily thing and only discover later and just a little annoying as typically, recordings are flawless even when recording up to six movies  or episodes at a time (rare that many simultaneously).  Will keep you posted!

I pretty much gave up trying to stream movies from Emby. It seems to rarely play without constant buffering. Full gig network, powerful server and latest roku devices. It may work if you lower the quality to the "potato" setting.

Please try again with the next release of Emby Server, thanks !

Robert X. Gonzalez

Luke,

Weird thing.  Today, I thought for giggles, to turn on HW Transcoding (Intel) and attempt to view the movie IN HARMS WAY.  It worked!  What I did it turned on HW TC, then on ROKU attempted to play and you could see ROKU reaching out to my NAS (use direct play) stream and it took about 12 seconds.  Usually when I have no issues, takes 2-3 seconds.  I can wait 12 seconds but before I waited and waited.  So it seems Roku needs help to transcode?  Nonetheless, as soon as ROKU has the file playing I turn of HW TC as it has given me trouble for almost  a year.  I do not recall if I originally recorded the movie with INTEL HW TC or not.  In any event, this is FYI and yes, await the newest version of EMBY server when you all release.

Warmest Regards,

Robert

Robert X. Gonzalez

Luke,

Sir, no .TS files.  All files are either .mp4 or mkv.  The file I have problems with (until I turn on HW DC) is IN HARMS WAY and .mp4.  I have not had a .TS file in about 18 months or so, and the few I had, converted to .mp4 with no playback issues.

Right OK. I would suggest turning off the recording conversion feature so that all future recordings are .ts files.