EAC3/DTS-HD passthrough - difference between Emby desktop and store versions

Seneca2510
Go to solution Solved by Guest asrequested,

Seneca2510

Something strange I've noticed, with a recent batch of EAC3-encoded files:

- Emby Windows desktop: EAC3 passthrough selected (or not) > outputs stereo over optical S/PDIF

- Emby Microsoft Store version: no option to select passthrough > outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical S/PDIF

and DTS-HD files:

- Emby Windows desktop: DTS-HD passthrough selected (or not) > outputs stereo over optical S/PDIF

- Emby Microsoft Store version: no option to select passthrough > outputs 5.1 DTS over optical S/PDIF

I know it's not possible to get EAC3 over optical, and my receiver doesn't support it anyway, but I'm curious what's happening here. Is the store app downmixing or transcoding EAC3 to AC3 (and if so, can we have this option in the desktop version as well)? Or is this part of the Modern app framework?

Hi, eac3 should be passing through just fine in the desktop app. @ you're able to pass it though right?

As far as the store app goes, yes we're using the Microsoft video player which in turn utilizes system settings. There's no way for us to tell it to do something different than how you have your system audio configured.

I thought this one also passed eac3 but i'll have to double check. Thanks.

Guest asrequested

Hi, eac3 should be passing through just fine in the desktop app. @ you're able to pass it though right?

Yup. Ignore that it says stereo. That's MPV misreporting. It bit-streams, correctly

5a515e24197d5_Snapshot_387.jpg

• Solution
Guest asrequested

Something strange I've noticed, with a recent batch of EAC3-encoded files:

- Emby Windows desktop: EAC3 passthrough selected (or not) > outputs stereo over optical S/PDIF

- Emby Microsoft Store version: no option to select passthrough > outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical S/PDIF

and DTS-HD files:

- Emby Windows desktop: DTS-HD passthrough selected (or not) > outputs stereo over optical S/PDIF

- Emby Microsoft Store version: no option to select passthrough > outputs 5.1 DTS over optical S/PDIF

I know it's not possible to get EAC3 over optical, and my receiver doesn't support it anyway, but I'm curious what's happening here. Is the store app downmixing or transcoding EAC3 to AC3 (and if so, can we have this option in the desktop version as well)? Or is this part of the Modern app framework?

Optical only supports core 5.1, anything more, it won't support it. You'll need HDMI

The store app uses the windows media foundation, so if something isn't supported, the server should automatically transcode to something that is supported.

For the Desktop app, mpv can handle that. There is a way to have mpv convert to AC3, if that's what you want? There is no 'setting' in the UI, but it's quite easy to set it up. I can walk you through it.

You can look through this thread, to see what I'm talking about.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53468-no-audio-when-playing-dts-hd-via-emby-theater/?p=516907

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Seneca2510

Thanks, Doofus, exactly what I was looking for!

I'll go dig in the other thread and see if I can figure it out on my own...

Guest asrequested

Also, make sure that your windows audio device is configured, correctly. If it's configured correctly, in your case 5.1, then mpv should automatically convert to 5.1 PCM.

5a5268ba9947b_Snapshot_390.jpg

Edited by Doofus