Emby Chromecast turn my TV back on after I have shut the TV down for the night

rpope1969

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having this problem with app version 3.0.33

Unless I manually disconnect from chrome cast subsequent opening of the app will trigger TV turn on.

Problem is that sometimes emby while casting will lose connection to the chrome cast meaning I have to reconnect then manually disconnect to avoid this behaviour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, that is strange. we can no longer reproduce this on the latest version. We'll test it out again. Thanks.

Have two Chromecast in the house. 1x first gen and 1x ultra. Both exhibit this issue.

First gen is standard firmware release, ultra is preview programme.

Issue only when casting from Android (have Apple devices and they don't trigger tv after use). Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

OK, my Oneplus 5t is now running latest stable Oneplus Android Pie ROM (9.0.3). Received latest Emby Android update this morning (3.0.34).

I've done some testing, here are the results to reproduce (tried on two Samsung TV's in my house, one with first gen Chromecast, one with Chromecast Ultra).

1. TV is off

2. Chromecast is on

3. Start Emby on my phone, select inactive cast icon, select chromecast

4. TV receives HDMI-CEC signal, turns on, selects chromecast input, Emby Chromecast screen

5. Cast icon updates in Emby app correctly (active, solid white)

6. Select media in Emby app and start playing on TV

7. From this point on I use the TV remote to control play/pause/stop as is more convenient than app (it has buttons for these which send HDMI-CEC signals to Chromecast)

8. Press stop on TV remote to end playback, this exits chromecast back to home screen (ambient screensaver, clock, weather)

9. Turn TV off

10. Emby app on phone reflects that playback has stopped, chromecast icon becomes inactive

11. Press home button/gesture on phone

12. Select Emby again, Emby comes to foreground, triggers chromecast (sends HDMI-CEC signal and turns TV back on) and back to Emby Chromecast screen. Chromecast icon in Emby does not update (still shows inactive)

13. To stop Emby from further triggering chromecast, I need to select inactive cast icon in Emby app, choose the chromecast, cast icon becomes active, select active cast icon then choose disconnect, select yes

In other cast enabled apps (Plex, Youtube) on my phone the behaviour is the same up to #9 above. Any further starting of the app does not send HDMI-CEC and turn the TV back on. Choosing media has the media play back on my phone.

Wonder if its just my workflow is a little different (using TV remote once playback has started). Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need any more information.

PS as a Plex user for many years I'm stoked with Emby and have moved all my media consumption to it. Just need to iron out this issue. Thanks for building such a great app!

Edited by akawoz

widget100

OK, my Oneplus 5t is now running latest stable Oneplus Android Pie ROM (9.0.3). Received latest Emby Android update this morning (3.0.34).

I've done some testing, here are the results to reproduce (tried on two Samsung TV's in my house, one with first gen Chromecast, one with Chromecast Ultra).

1. TV is off

2. Chromecast is on

3. Start Emby on my phone, select inactive cast icon, select chromecast

4. TV receives HDMI-CEC signal, turns on, selects chromecast input, Emby Chromecast screen

5. Cast icon updates in Emby app correctly (active, solid white)

6. Select media in Emby app and start playing on TV

7. From this point on I use the TV remote to control play/pause/stop as is more convenient than app (it has buttons for these which send HDMI-CEC signals to Chromecast)

8. Press stop on TV remote to end playback, this exits chromecast back to home screen (ambient screensaver, clock, weather)

9. Turn TV off

10. Emby app on phone reflects that playback has stopped, chromecast icon becomes inactive

11. Press home button/gesture on phone

12. Select Emby again, Emby comes to foreground, triggers chromecast (sends HDMI-CEC signal and turns TV back on) and back to Emby Chromecast screen. Chromecast icon in Emby does not update (still shows inactive)

13. To stop Emby from further triggering chromecast, I need to select inactive cast icon in Emby app, choose the chromecast, cast icon becomes active, select active cast icon then choose disconnect, select yes

In other cast enabled apps (Plex, Youtube) on my phone the behaviour is the same up to #9 above. Any further starting of the app does not send HDMI-CEC and turn the TV back on. Choosing media has the media play back on my phone.

Wonder if its just my workflow is a little different (using TV remote once playback has started). Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need any more information.

PS as a Plex user for many years I'm stoked with Emby and have moved all my media consumption to it. Just need to iron out this issue. Thanks for building such a great app!

I concur with this behaviour. My 2010 samsung doesnt have auto power on, but if I follow the steps up to step 8, then switch away from HDMI/Chromecast back to the Terestrial TV, if I then open Emby later on with the Android app the TV will switch to HDMI-CEC automatically.

I then have to do step 12 to shut Emby casting down and switch back to TV again.

Also on a similar tack after watching something via Chromecast, if you leave it alone for a while showing the Emby casting screen, it flips back to CC's screensaver. If you then open Emby Android, the Emby casting screen comes up but it's sort of faking it. If you play something it will play locally on the android rather than cast. You need to select cast/restart cast/stop cast/ restart casting ( just like step 8 ) to make it work again.

It used be be loads worse than this in previous versions of the Android app in that Emby would just wake up and screw with the casting/switching back to HDMI whenever it felt like it, even hours after I last used it. So you've made a massive improvement, just this last little issue to sort.

• Like 1

Hi,

sorry for the late response..

I'm not sure about any problems you are seeing.

Before the update I responded to, When I finished playing something on the chromecast, I had to disconnect the chromecast from the emby android app, and then force close the amby android app to prevent the chromecast from turning my tv on.

After the update I did not have to force close the app anymore,

However I still use the disconnect from chromecast routine.

I will try tonight to just leave the emby app in the background without disconnecting the chromecast and see what happens.

I think the issue is when you shutdown Chromecast via other methods besides the Emby app, that's when this happens. 

I think the issue is when you shutdown Chromecast via other methods besides the Emby app, that's when this happens. 

Hi Luke, I think you may be correct* - but this is different from the way (at least) Youtube and Plex work with Chromecast. There is definitely an issue with Emby not always showing correctly the state of its connection to the Chromecast. For instance even when triggering HDMI-CEC when re-opening the app, the Cast icon shows as inactive. Again, not something I've experienced with other apps.

* saying that though I'm pretty sure I've manually disconnected Emby from Chromecast and still had it trigger the HDMI-CEC when opening the app again - will watch for this behaviour over the next few days.

After further testing I can confirm this issue is limited to situations where I use the TV remote control to send HDMI-CEC commands to the Chromecast.

Steps to reproduce:

1. TV off

2. Emby on mobile, select cast, select TV

3. TV turns on

4. Begin playing content

5. Use TV remote control to pause/play as required

6. Hit stop on TV remote control which exits the Emby receiver on Chromecast and returns to the ambient screensaver

7. Cast icon on Emby mobile app immediately changes from active to inactive at #6

8. Switch away from Emby app on phone

9. Switch back to Emby app on phone

10. Chromecast switches back to Emby Receiver; cast icon on Emby mobile app stays inactive

If the Emby app can tell that I have hit stop at step #6 (and exited the Emby receiver) above and turns cast icon inactive, why when I re-open the app would it trigger the Emby Receiver again (and not update the cast icon).

This behaviour is different from all other cast apps I have used; they are the same up to Step #7, but never switch back to their receiver when returning to the app later.

Happy to keep trying things. The TV remote is just too convenient not to use.

Edited by akawoz

• 3 weeks later...