Help! - MB Kinect Crashing Immediately on Windows 8.1

Faceman09

Faceman09
I am loving the development around Media Browser 3 having used Media Browser for a number of years.

I have MB Server running on Windows 8.1 and three client machines around the house running Media Browser Theatre also on Windows 8.1 all running seamlessly.

I have been following the MBKinect project for a little while and finally decided to jump in with the release of the latest 'stable' version released at the beginning of the month. I purchased a Kinect off eBay and have set everything up correctly as far as I can see.

I installed the v1.7 SDK and the Developer's Kit on one of my client machines, and then plugged in the Kinect. It was recognised in Windows as the various Kinect devices, Mic Array, Camera etc.

I have then downloaded the latest version of MBKinect from this thread (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/850-media-browser-nui-natural-user-interface-kinect/), unzipped it to my desktop and ran the 'Media Browser Kinect.exe'

It prompts for administrative rights (I am logged in as a standard user) briefly displays the splash screen and prompts for allowance of a Windows Firewall exception (presumably to contact the MB Server machine), but then immediately crashes.

I tried this logged in as the admin user on the client machine also as thought might be a permissions issue but the same outcome everytime.

Looking in the Windows Application Log get the following two errors every time I start it - can anybody point me in the right direction?

Faulting application name: Media Browser Kinect.exe, version: 2.0.0.4, time stamp: 0x531261b7
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.16408, time stamp: 0x523d4548
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00012eec
Faulting process id: 0xfb8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf3d249b16858b
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Security\Desktop\MBKinect Release 01-03-2014\Media Browser Kinect.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: d8f5acab-a917-11e3-8253-90b11c67b0ef
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Application: Media Browser Kinect.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
Stack:
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>b__4(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Edited by Darren09
  • Like 1

chef

Hi! I am sorry you have had this issue. Cod you answer some questions for me:

Are you running a 32bit OS?

I have yet to test on win 8 so I am very interesting in working with you to figure this out.

Unfortunately the error code returned is a "catch all" error, which is a little hard to source out, however I believe that it could be because of a 32 bit OS.

I will be I. Touch right after work tonight.

Edited by chef

chef

I think I have a fix for this now. But I woould still like to know if your OS is x86. I would also love to know if you have Password Authentication on your Media Browser Accounts?

Edited by chef

chef

@

I would love to get I. Touch with you regarding this post. If you have time, it would be great Tibet it working.

Faceman09

Sorry for the huge delay in coming back to you, had a few days away.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on all the machines, not 32-bit.

I have three user profiles setup, one adult one with password authentication, one kids one without password authentication, both of those are standard users. I then have a settings account which is an administrative user with password authentication enabled and the user hidden on the login page.

Also on my machines I am logged into Windows as a standard user for stability reasons (kids destroying settings and installing rubbish etc!!), and when starting the Kinect application it prompts for administrative rights to run each time, it is immediately after I enter the admin password that the application errors out (with the windows firewall prompt appearing on the very first run time also).

I did try running it logged into the admin user desktop as thought it might be a UAC privileges issue or something, but had the same result.

If you need anything else let me know, keen to get it working.

And thanks for the quick response - much appreciated! :)

chef

Okay, I think because I haven't let mbkinect handle authentication in mb3 it is erring.

I'll have to code that in. It shouldn't take long.

I was hoping to use the face recognition to apply certain authentication cases to mb accounts.

However this would mean that the codes would have to be recorded for mbkinect to read.

I was thinking about recording these passwords encrypted in a file, or I could save them somewhere in the registry of windows. I could encrypt them there too.

I have no password protection on my accounts because my son is still to young to get into the computer and make a mess if things.

The good news is that it probably isn't because of W8 or the type if operating system.

I will post a new version to try out shortly. My. Sins in the hospital currently so it may take me a day or so to get to code it.

Faceman09

No rush, whenever you an get to it, sounds like you have much more important things on at the moment. Hope all is ok.

Thanks again for the quick response.

• 3 weeks later...
TerryMc

I am also not having any luck installing.  I get initial configuration panel opening but that's about it, same error I think.

My computer is a new 8.1 Pro with Media Center, 64 bit

I have only one account setup, it has no password for Media Browser, and is an Admin in Windows.

5338bac33e014_KinectCap.png

TerryMc

I seemed to have solved my own problem somehow..

Opened folder properties -> security and added my mediabrowser user with full control permissions.

Then my setup/config ran fine.

Faceman09

Sorry what folder was it that you adjusted the security permissions on? The folder with the Kinect executable in?

chef

Permissions are a killer for kinect because in order to take control of the LED we have to filter out the motor drivers which needs admin permissions to copy a Dll library into the "system32" folder. I have built an installer which I was going to release this evening, which helps.

After installation the kinect app doesn't need admin permissions to run.

The newest version that I will post also has integration with media browser classic.

It might be worth the wait.

@@TerryMc @

Edited by chef

chef

@TerryMc @Darren09 

Before I make a big deal about this new installer release on the Community Tracker, would you guys test it for me?

Here is the installer download:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/Setup.zip

-------

And here is the MBC Plugin Download (put this DLL in "ProgramData\MediaBrowser\Plugins" directory):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/ClassicInterface.zip

The installer will install to "ProgramData\Media Browser Kinect" folder. There is where you will find the executable file to Run MBKinect.

Please let me know how things go.

TerryMc

Darren

After I downloaded and extracted the install package I changed the permissions on the folder the installer executable was in.

Seemed odd because the user I ran it under was an admin, and admins had full permission on the folder.  But soon as I explicitly added the user the install did not crash.  Although I did not get any further, MBKinect seemed to run fine.

Chef

I'll give this a go tonight and let you know.  Do you want me to uninstall and go from scratch?

This is not a problem because I ran out of time and did not get anything else done with it after the initial install.

Anything I need to know about uninstalling (anything manual) so I can give this a really good test?

Thanks

Faceman09

TerryMC - thanks for that.

Chef - again will give the new installer a go tonight after work. I assume if not using MBC that you do not need to copy the DLL file? The only clients I am using are MB Theatre, the Roku client and the Android client.

The work on this, and assistance provided by you both is very much appreciated - can hopefully get it running at last, been looking forward to showing it off to the family :)

No need to copy the mbc plugin, you are correct, however I should give you a heads up that mbkinect has issues control mbtheater.

I still am not sure why...

Edited by chef

chef

@@TerryMc,

If you haven't installed from the new installer, you should be okay. Up until this point mbkinect was standalone. If you delete the folder from the original download that is all you have to do.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by chef

TerryMc

Thanks Chef

Yes, I never got to it, but should be able to soon.

For now I think I will the using MBC client, but don't know what direction I end up heading.

Faceman09

Hi Chef,

Have installed the new version and can confirm it now installs - so we have progress! :)

Have done the initial setup, although had an error at the LED filter install phase, iht continue and it seemed to complete, but it never tested the LED changing colour and it has done nothing but blink green since installing.

But most importantly it does not recognize any speech. The app loads, initialises the Kinect and sees my PC running MBT, finds the users. I've done the speech training for which the Kinect is recognized as the microphone. But in the Kinect app, when I speak the app shows the direction of the audio as in left. centre, right. But recognizes none of the speech and hence does not control MBT.

I also get random errors sometimes and it will not recognise users/devices but a restart of the app seems to fix that.

Any ideas?

If you need log files etc let me know what it is you need and I'll do my best to provide them.

Thank again

travelmanics

Darren09 regarding your last point I believe mbkinect does not work well with MBT. I have it installed and can get it to work with MBT occasional but that is it and had to go through the training several times.

Give it a go with MBC and see if you have better luck, I know I did

Regards

chef

@

@@wraslor

@@hedgehogg

@@TerryMc

@MrOgloc

So you guys seem to be the most interested in this project.

It is true that there have been some big mess ups along the way making kinect do things for Media Browser.

The main thing is that the kinect really can not control MBTheater. For a bunch of reasons, mainly the theater is in its infancy still. I believe in the future it will however, for right now it seems to be working best with MBC.

With that said! Here is an installer for a new version of the Kinect app, which I hope you guys will test out. Like I said, there is a lot happening with Kinect, and it is like wielding the power of Grayskull, only almost as cool.

If you guys have a chance to test this, it would be great to get a working copy of the application and try to get it in the Windows Store or something.

Things work okay on my machine, but I have heard that there was issues with setting the LED filters before. If this doesn't fix that, then Please let me know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/MbKinect%20Installer/Setup.zip

Note:

Use the command: "Kinect" {the led will start to blink green}

then "Start Listening" {the LED will be solid green}

You won't be able to give voice commands until the Kinect has finished searching for Users Faces in the room.

Edited by chef

wraslor

Very cool I'll mess around with it once I get back home

Edit: Do we need to install the SDK or anything else first beforehand or is that included in the installers?

Thanks Chef!

Edited by wraslor

chef

Very cool I'll mess around with it once I get back home

Edit: Do we need to install the SDK or anything else first beforehand or is that included in the installers?

Thanks Chef!

This version should install the sdk during first run set up for you.

hedgehogg

One itsy bitsy thing Chef anychance of calling your installs MBKSetup.exe as all the setups for MB are just called Setup.exe and it gets a little confusing

chef

One itsy bitsy thing Chef anychance of calling your installs MBKSetup.exe as all the setups for MB are just called Setup.exe and it gets a little confusing

Yes. Good point. I will make sure further set ups are call mbksetup.exe

chef

I found an issue. When the kinect app tries to wake up the server computer, it doesn't stop trying and a reboot of the app has to happen.

I will fix this.

wraslor

Ok so no go here.  I encountered a few errors during setup first was an application error (didn't write it down sorry) but hit continue and it kept going.  When installing the LED filter and my lights should blink red etc I got nothing.  For the facial tracking setup all I saw was a blank page if I clicked my name is not on the list it said to setup my profile on the server (which it is) I could then go back to name list or quit, click quit did nothing and I had to force close the program.  Finally after everything I launch the app and get a pop up to check the Kinect connection, I then hear a voice tell me the mb server is not running and it closes itself.

Not sure where to go from here.